UK Holiday

EN

EN
Total Posts:  19403
Joined  11-03-2007

18 March 2017 15:46

My wife wants to go to Hay-on-Wye, Wales next year for the book stores.  She also wants to go to Dorset. Martin, any thoughts on this?

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  8603
Joined  20-10-2006

18 March 2017 22:35

They got a whole nother language in Wales and something like ten vowels, but you need to get outside the big cities to hear it.  Have fun trying to read the language.  “Dim O Gwbyl” was on road signs everywhere but I couldn’t figure out what it meant, although it seemed like they didn’t want you doing something.  Outside of Cardiff and Swansea it is very rural with charming rolling hills.  I stayed in Cardiff a couple days and it is a modern and very charming city.  I also made it to Cardigan and Aberystwyth on the west coast for a more old time experience.

The food is as atrocious as the rest of the UK, but if you don’t mind shepherd’s pie, pasties, and fish and chips then you’ll be fine.

Tell your wife you want to go on a brewery tour where Newcastle Brown Ale is made and say Hi to Martin.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  15829
Joined  15-02-2008

19 March 2017 00:13

You are not authorized to perform this action

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4744
Joined  19-08-2010

19 March 2017 01:37

Wales is good. Lot’s of hills and that. It’s a long way to go for a few book shops though… wink

But Dorset is lovely, the new forest is full of old stately homes with lush gardens, me likes that stuff! In fact the whole south coast is full of interesting places, I lived there a while when I was designing war ships at Vospers in Southampton, those were the days.
You got monkey world in Dorset too, could visit my cousins there.

Much more to do down there than sunny Newcastle, you will love it!!

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

19 March 2017 06:45

Thanks for the comments.

Magda

Magda
Total Posts:  630
Joined  01-12-2014

20 March 2017 11:19

EN - 18 March 2017 03:46 PM

My wife wants to go to Hay-on-Wye, Wales next year for the book stores.  She also wants to go to Dorset. Martin, any thoughts on this?

Hi EN

I originate from Dorset, born and grew up there.  Its definitely worth a visit and the distances between there and Hay are very short compared to the vast spaces of Texas. If you are looking for Thomas Hardy’s Dorset you want to be in West Dorset - Shaftsbury, Blandford, Lyme Regis, that area - East Dorset (including Poole and Weymouth) are very touristy and a bit naff really (though Poole Harbour is stunning).  It borders with Wiltshire and you could do a lovely trip from Dorset via Stonehenge and Avebury and even pop to Glastonbury in Somerset (Joseph of Arimethea and all that), maybe even the roman city of Bath which is interesting and then up to Hay.  The best parts of Wales are the very South East (3 or 4 hours from Cardiff), Pembrokeshire where we have holidayed nearly every year since my daughter was born and the North West - Snowdonian Mountains but Mid Wales has some nice areas too. You could definitely work out a nice little circular route which would include lots of interesting places and the driving would be nothing to what you are used to. Two weeks or even 10 days would be plenty.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

20 March 2017 11:28

Magda - 20 March 2017 11:19 AM

Hi EN

I originate from Dorset, born and grew up there.  Its definitely worth a visit and the distances between there and Hay are very short compared to the vast spaces of Texas. If you are looking for Thomas Hardy’s Dorset you want to be in West Dorset - Shaftsbury, Blandford, Lyme Regis, that area - East Dorset (including Poole and Weymouth) are very touristy and a bit naff really (though Poole Harbour is stunning).  It borders with Wiltshire and you could do a lovely trip from Dorset via Stonehenge and Avebury and even pop to Glastonbury in Somerset (Joseph of Arimethea and all that), maybe even the roman city of Bath which is interesting and then up to Hay.  The best parts of Wales are the very South East (3 or 4 hours from Cardiff), Pembrokeshire where we have holidayed nearly every year since my daughter was born and the North West - Snowdonian Mountains but Mid Wales has some nice areas too. You could definitely work out a nice little circular route which would include lots of interesting places and the driving would be nothing to what you are used to. Two weeks or even 10 days would be plenty.

Thanks for the tips.  A road trip would be great, but I’m afraid the prospect of driving on the opposite side of the road terrifies me. In a crisis I would probably do the wrong thing automatically.  But maybe I will be brave.

Magda

Magda
Total Posts:  630
Joined  01-12-2014

20 March 2017 11:53

EN - 20 March 2017 11:28 AM
Magda - 20 March 2017 11:19 AM

Hi EN

Thanks for the tips.  A road trip would be great, but I’m afraid the prospect of driving on the opposite side of the road terrifies me. In a crisis I would probably do the wrong thing automatically.  But maybe I will be brave.

Public transport (bus, train etc) is a bit patchy and it would limit your ability to get to some ‘off the beaten track’ places.  Having said that, there are probably local coach tours that might take in some of those.  I know how you feel about driving on the other side - I have never done it on the continent as I too am frightened that I would react automatically in a emergency, but even as a passenger I can tell that after a few miles your brain just seems to adjust. The roads in Dorset, Wiltshire, Somerset and Wales are often very narrow and windy and that may be more difficult to cope with if you are used to the flat, straight roads in Texas.  I would be brave and go for it, easy to say as I’m not doing it, but as I said, the distances between places are relatively short (a couple of hours here and there) so its not heavy on the driving. One option would be to use public transport and then locally get taxis - they wouldn’t be that expensive.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  5497
Joined  22-02-2005

20 March 2017 11:57

You could practice driving properly in those wide open spaces. I’m sure Texas doesn’t tell ya what side of the frickin road you have to drive on. I thought that’s what the guns were for.