1 2 3 > 

Engagement exhaustion?

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  5745
Joined  15-05-2009

19 March 2017 16:32

Every morning I read the news and end up feeling a combo of vindication, frustration, and fear.  I am opposed to Trump and the conservative Republican platform.  I attended one of the huge women’s marches in January.  I write to my elected officials about every other week on specific issues.  I occasionally call out fake news on my Facebook feed.  I discuss political issues on this forum.  I am emotionally exhausted by this political struggle.

I’m wondering how the rest of you are faring.  I know EN is very involved campaigning against the Mexican Border Wall.  Are others of you involved?  If so, does it affect your emotional state to a significant degree?  And how to you feel—energized?  angry?  excited?  worried?  numb?  Or are you non-plussed?

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  5347
Joined  31-01-2012

19 March 2017 16:54

I’ve taken to the streets. Demonstrations, rallies, meetings. As a clean cut white educated upper class millennial, I didn’t work this hard to stop being discriminative in order to turn around and have a president be the permission that every ignorant person was looking for to unleash thier ignorance. I drink more. And argue all the time. With sometimes everyone.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19757
Joined  20-07-2007

19 March 2017 17:08

Trump will, I predict, be the greatest single-person associated disaster we have had in the last century.  Impeachment, legal, would be the best outcome; more likely, he’ll get us engaged in overt warfare that’ll have horrible outcomes.  Be assured that whatever opposition mounted against Trump, it’ll be labelled as unpatriotic or some such term, and if he can get away with it, sanctioned quite severely.  The comparison with Hitler isn’t that far off.  Watch your back, be prepared, at least mentally, for responses from Trump to threaten those so-called freedoms we say we support.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Joined  15-05-2009

19 March 2017 18:18

Dennis Campbell - 19 March 2017 05:08 PM

Trump will, I predict, be the greatest single-person associated disaster we have had in the last century.  Impeachment, legal, would be the best outcome; more likely, he’ll get us engaged in overt warfare that’ll have horrible outcomes.  Be assured that whatever opposition mounted against Trump, it’ll be labelled as unpatriotic or some such term, and if he can get away with it, sanctioned quite severely.  The comparison with Hitler isn’t that far off.  Watch your back, be prepared, at least mentally, for responses from Trump to threaten those so-called freedoms we say we support.

So are you more or less engaged in politics this year?  Do the feelings expressed here affect you more than in past administrations?

I was just out of college during the Reagan years.  I remember some spirited conversations with colleagues, and talking back to the TV some.  But I don’t remember feeling so overwhelmed, that is, thinking about politics several times each day.  Maybe it’s because I was newly in love back in 1981.  Probably.  Plus, now it seems that our government is in danger of warping on so many fronts.  Cut the budget of the NIH by 20%—why?  Trump proposes that Washington should throw more money at the Pentagon and do much less of just about everything else.  The only major infrastructure project his budget includes is the Mexican border wall.

I’m worried about my disabled brother’s Medicaid benefits.  I’m worried about my son’s lab job studying tuberculosis. 

I guess I’m looking for commiseration, or else some reassurance that the American people are deep down good enough to get through this rough ride.  Or advice on stress control.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19757
Joined  20-07-2007

19 March 2017 18:48

Re #3

That’s the challenge, we don’t know. Neither did folks in 1939 re Hitler.  I’m pessimistic, but then I’ve only a few years, if that, left, so I’ve few worries about the next decades that most of you here have.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  15489
Joined  15-02-2008

19 March 2017 19:54

I just call bullshit wherever I see it, same as always.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  4312
Joined  28-05-2009

19 March 2017 23:24

It’s no accident. Extreme political polarization is cultivated and fed to the poor and ignorant quite deliberately. We are mean’t to fight one another. We are supposed to take disputes over the fitness of a Donald Trump (for instance) and turn our disagreements into bitter blood feuds with people who have exactly as much to lose as we do.

As it happens I have no use whatsoever for Trump and find the arguments in support of him to be dismal nonsense. The challenge I give myself is to have enough tolerance for disagreement to capitalize on common interests where I find them. I think it’s worth noting that many people from many places can converse with affection about sports or pets or children or food or any number of subjects and cultivate friendship. I think it reflects a real toxic deficit in the culture when people are visibly afraid of broaching political subjects because it so reliably brings out the most terrible reactions in people.

Exhaustion is a good word for it.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14269
Joined  24-12-2004

20 March 2017 05:53

Brick Bungalow - 19 March 2017 11:24 PM

It’s no accident. Extreme political polarization is cultivated and fed to the poor and ignorant quite deliberately. We are mean’t to fight one another. We are supposed to take disputes over the fitness of a Donald Trump (for instance) and turn our disagreements into bitter blood feuds with people who have exactly as much to lose as we do.

As it happens I have no use whatsoever for Trump and find the arguments in support of him to be dismal nonsense. The challenge I give myself is to have enough tolerance for disagreement to capitalize on common interests where I find them. I think it’s worth noting that many people from many places can converse with affection about sports or pets or children or food or any number of subjects and cultivate friendship. I think it reflects a real toxic deficit in the culture when people are visibly afraid of broaching political subjects because it so reliably brings out the most terrible reactions in people.

In this case it really is extraordinarily one-sided though, on both counts—both in the obvious facts (The Donald is reliably and frequently demonstrating his incompetence, not just as a president but as a decent human being), and in that the reactionary response to criticism also comes from The Donald’s supporters (my dad used to call these histrionic far right types “professional victims”). That creates problems with those of us who are rational trying to be peacemakers, so we often have to just ignore the histrionics and treat them as if they were real adults in spite of the tantrums that reliably result from such treatment.

The important thing to keep in mind, I think, is that there are relatively few of Them, and their numbers are waning. The relative volume of the whining vs. the reasonable complaining is deceptive—partly an artifact of the news media’s insistence that there are two and exactly two sides to every story, and that in order to appear non-biased they must give these two and exactly two sides equal time. And yet even Faux Nuze has been pushing back on them ... so we’ll just have to see how long our decreasingly polarized society and government (at least in regard to The Donald) will tolerate the deplorability—the dishonesty and intellectual cowardice, and the general philosophical and ethical depravity that are the definitive characteristics of this cartoon presidency.

A case could even almost be made that The Donald’s real goal is to provide us the common enemy we unfortunately seem to need in order to remember how adult humans cooperate and work together for the common good, because it would appear he’s beginning to accomplish that.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  5663
Joined  08-12-2006

20 March 2017 07:51

Yawn.

[ Edited: 20 March 2017 08:30 by Antisocialdarwinist]
Image Attachments

Yawn.jpg

Celal

Celal
Total Posts:  2510
Joined  07-08-2011

20 March 2017 09:45

This thread is a perfect illustration of why the country turned away from the Democratic Party? Perhaps one reason is that the Democratic Party has become everything it once was against.

Ref “the working people”—Hillary’s comment about “deplorables” summed up the unspoken view of the Democratic Party elites. Wikileaks exposed the contempt the party had for the country and the working people ... in the final analysis ...

“The Democratic Party has become everything that it once loathed: elitist, globalist, interventionist, self-serving, warmongering and overflowing with hubris.”

The party has aligned itself with the leftist movement to silence freedom of speech on campuses, universities, and supported the rioters and law breakers.

Despite the obvious, party members, due to the affliction they have suffered at the hands of Trump, called “Trump Derangement Syndrome”,  unable to come to terms with reality, looking for ways to cope. This thread is an example of that.

Grow up. I say. But you wont.

Hitchens Immortal

Hitchens Immortal
Total Posts:  398
Joined  19-06-2016

20 March 2017 10:20

It’s worth the headache. Just like raising kids is worth the headache, some things are bigger and more important than your personal comfort and they’re worth sacrificing some of it in an attempt to improve the world.

The second you stop fighting is the second a boot lands on your face and it’ll be a lot harder to get that boot off than it would have been to prevent the boot from landing there in the first place.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Joined  31-01-2012

20 March 2017 16:05

Celal - 20 March 2017 09:45 AM

This thread is a perfect illustration of why the country turned away from the Democratic Party? Perhaps one reason is that the Democratic Party has become everything it once was against.

Ref “the working people”—Hillary’s comment about “deplorables” summed up the unspoken view of the Democratic Party elites. Wikileaks exposed the contempt the party had for the country and the working people ... in the final analysis ...

“The Democratic Party has become everything that it once loathed: elitist, globalist, interventionist, self-serving, warmongering and overflowing with hubris.”

The party has aligned itself with the leftist movement to silence freedom of speech on campuses, universities, and supported the rioters and law breakers.

Despite the obvious, party members, due to the affliction they have suffered at the hands of Trump, called “Trump Derangement Syndrome”,  unable to come to terms with reality, looking for ways to cope. This thread is an example of that.

Grow up. I say. But you wont.

The thing about the deplorable comment is that the people she was referring to exist. They’re not deplorable simply because they’re poor or ignorant. They’re deplorable because they’re ignorant, they’re too stupid to figure out how to vote in their best interest, and they’re okay with that due to some misguided white trash omerta. Trump will continue to use it to screw them just the same. For super rich people. If not wanting that is elitist, count me in.

I’m not saying that you’re a deplorable, because I’m aware that all these types of character attacks made popular with Trump need to be scaled. I am saying that that phrase resonated with me. I only wish that she said it more privately.

But let me ask you this, IYO has he done any substantive work so far that’s been effective in any way?

[ Edited: 20 March 2017 16:45 by Jb8989]

Jb8989

Jb8989
Joined  31-01-2012

20 March 2017 16:11

Antisocialdarwinist - 20 March 2017 07:51 AM

Yawn.

Yeah but you’re famous for not knowing anything about how a society should run.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Joined  15-05-2009

20 March 2017 16:44

jb8989:  Love that word, “omerta.”

Well, Trump’s been proved to be a big fat liar today…again.  I wonder if his supporters even care. 

Does someone like Sean Spicer believe what he is saying to the press corps?  Is he just repeating b.s. he’s been fed, or is he making it up himself?  What a miserable existence, either way.

On the other hand, to be fair, I hate to hear the liberals using scare tactics.  No, Meals on Wheels is not slated to get the ax in the Trump budget, though it would probably lose some funding.  And really, who wants to think about elderly shut-in’s missing meals?

Everyone listen!!! Speak the truth!

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  4312
Joined  28-05-2009

20 March 2017 17:24

SkepticX - 20 March 2017 05:53 AM
Brick Bungalow - 19 March 2017 11:24 PM

In this case it really is extraordinarily one-sided though, on both counts—both in the obvious facts (The Donald is reliably and frequently demonstrating his incompetence, not just as a president but as a decent human being), and in that the reactionary response to criticism also comes from The Donald’s supporters (my dad used to call these histrionic far right types “professional victims”). That creates problems with those of us who are rational trying to be peacemakers, so we often have to just ignore the histrionics and treat them as if they were real adults in spite of the tantrums that reliably result from such treatment.

The important thing to keep in mind, I think, is that there are relatively few of Them, and their numbers are waning. The relative volume of the whining vs. the reasonable complaining is deceptive—partly an artifact of the news media’s insistence that there are two and exactly two sides to every story, and that in order to appear non-biased they must give these two and exactly two sides equal time. And yet even Faux Nuze has been pushing back on them ... so we’ll just have to see how long our decreasingly polarized society and government (at least in regard to The Donald) will tolerate the deplorability—the dishonesty and intellectual cowardice, and the general philosophical and ethical depravity that are the definitive characteristics of this cartoon presidency.

A case could even almost be made that The Donald’s real goal is to provide us the common enemy we unfortunately seem to need in order to remember how adult humans cooperate and work together for the common good, because it would appear he’s beginning to accomplish that.

To be clear: I don’t mean to infer any equivalence between the parties. Just that the persistent backbiting from both sides reliably serves a corrupt authority that is loyal to neither. Hiring half of the poor to kill the other half as it were.

I am really excited to see so many people in this country roused to action in the past months. There are several mobile apps in development that aim to counter the effects of gerrymandering. A number of scientists have announced that they will run for office. People in my neighborhood are hitting the bricks and actively seeking ways to engage with government in substantive ways to a degree I haven’t seen before…. so there are silver linings to getting stuck with a worthless president. I will do my best to coordinate with those who are solution oriented about all this.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  5663
Joined  08-12-2006

20 March 2017 18:58

Jb8989 - 20 March 2017 04:11 PM
Antisocialdarwinist - 20 March 2017 07:51 AM

Yawn.

Yeah but you’re famous for not knowing anything about how a society should run.

Because your idea of how a society should run isn’t just your preference, it’s an objective fact in social reality, right? Or something like that?

1 2 3 >