EN

EN
Total Posts:  18752
Joined  11-03-2007

20 April 2017 11:33

bbearren - 20 April 2017 11:27 AM
icehorse - 20 April 2017 08:34 AM
bbearren - 20 April 2017 06:55 AM

Blame it on a dearth of quality education.  Blame that on conservatism.

Agreed!

Now, why is an ignorant population a conservative goal? Easier to control?

Easier to exploit.

Conservatives fear change. They stand athwart history yelling “STOP!” (William F. Buckley)  So, if they can get others to fear change, they win. Ignorance thrives in an atmosphere of fear.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  5261
Joined  22-02-2014

20 April 2017 11:43

Agreed!

Easier to exploit.

Aha! All roads lead back to the oligarchy!

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19696
Joined  20-07-2007

20 April 2017 12:10

Agreed!

Easier to exploit.

Agree

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  2551
Joined  20-11-2013

20 April 2017 15:35

icehorse - 20 April 2017 11:43 AM

Agreed!

Easier to exploit.

Aha! All roads lead back to the oligarchy!

Not so much so as to a class society.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2129
Joined  19-01-2015

20 April 2017 21:45

Support for Authoritarianism is a sign of a zero-sum mentality.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  4230
Joined  28-05-2009

21 April 2017 00:17

I will respectfully disagree that an affection for totalitarianism is fundamentally a deficit of education. (if anyone is maintaining that) I think it’s a lot deeper than that.

Now, it certainly coincides with lack of education, travel and culture in many cases but I think it goes past that.

Many prominent twentieth century intellectuals and scholars were proponents of authoritarian governments. More than can be discounted as a fluke. Several can be argued to have inspired or created despotic regimes themselves.

If we concur that this is a deficit (I think it is) it’s something else. A lack of imagination and confidence in the creative intelligence of other people perhaps. A failure to appreciate the diversity and depth of cooperation and conflict resolution. I’m not sure precisely how to frame it but I can’t escape the comparison to religion. Some secularists will say that religion is successful mainly because of ignorance or backwardness. I think making the same mistake. It’s a difference in valuation and emphasis and perspective more than it is a difference in total facts and concepts.

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

21 April 2017 06:07

Brick Bungalow - 21 April 2017 12:17 AM

I will respectfully disagree that an affection for totalitarianism is fundamentally a deficit of education. (if anyone is maintaining that) I think it’s a lot deeper than that.

Now, it certainly coincides with lack of education, travel and culture in many cases but I think it goes past that.

Many prominent twentieth century intellectuals and scholars were proponents of authoritarian governments. More than can be discounted as a fluke. Several can be argued to have inspired or created despotic regimes themselves.

If we concur that this is a deficit (I think it is) it’s something else. A lack of imagination and confidence in the creative intelligence of other people perhaps. A failure to appreciate the diversity and depth of cooperation and conflict resolution. I’m not sure precisely how to frame it but I can’t escape the comparison to religion. Some secularists will say that religion is successful mainly because of ignorance or backwardness. I think making the same mistake. It’s a difference in valuation and emphasis and perspective more than it is a difference in total facts and concepts.

If intellectuals and scholars were in the majority, it would seem that “the despot” would have difficulty getting traction due to all the competition, would it not?  Wouldn’t some form of cooperative government have to emerge?

The constitution was not written by a bunch of uneducated rubes, yet we didn’t end up with King George I.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  5261
Joined  22-02-2014

21 April 2017 08:37

Word(s) I first heard from Hitchens spring to mind; “credulous” and “credulity”. And I do think there is a connection with religion. Religion tends to engender credulity and the religious ARE easier to keep in line. So keep ‘em ignorant and credulous, let ‘em get drunk, and they’ll be easy to control. And brick, the smart folks you mention, I think were of the opinion that society needed to control the masses in these ways.

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

21 April 2017 09:12

The bottom line is that the last thing conservatives want is an educated, informed electorate.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  5847
Joined  15-02-2007

21 April 2017 11:06

bbearren - 21 April 2017 09:12 AM

The bottom line is that the last thing conservatives want is an educated, informed electorate.

And they’ve crafted a similar attitude among much of the electorate with their anti-elitism rhetorical falderol.

Celal

Celal
Total Posts:  2399
Joined  07-08-2011

21 April 2017 12:02

EN - 20 April 2017 11:33 AM

Agreed!

Easier to exploit.

Conservatives fear change. They stand athwart history yelling “STOP!” (William F. Buckley)  So, if they can get others to fear change, they win. Ignorance thrives in an atmosphere of fear.

Since you welcome change so much, you must be overjoyed when you get the diarrhea? 

Do you understand the absurdity of such a claim with no substance or specifics!

Take education for example. Liberals destroyed the education system.  Teachers Union is not about protecting education quality or teaching kids, it is about protecting political base for Dems.

Celal

Celal
Total Posts:  2399
Joined  07-08-2011

21 April 2017 12:08

EN - 18 April 2017 05:14 PM

Russia, China, North Korea, the entire Muslim world (even Turkey), several African and South American countries, and now, even the USA is flirting with a dictator answerable to no one.  I guess ultimately the strong man is so attractive that even democracies end up with them.  Our tribal nature exalts the strong man.  Democracy seems like a little detour compared to the powerful human drive to be led by totalitarians.  It’s scary.

You are on a roll EN.  When you lump Trump Admin as a dictatorship with the likes of North Korea, Muslim World where Sultans and Kings rule, even in Turkey where countless journalists are in prison for criticizing Erdogan, ... you have lost all sense of perspective. Fortunately for you, your usual audience will not notice.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

21 April 2017 14:50

Celal - 21 April 2017 12:08 PM
EN - 18 April 2017 05:14 PM

Russia, China, North Korea, the entire Muslim world (even Turkey), several African and South American countries, and now, even the USA is flirting with a dictator answerable to no one.  I guess ultimately the strong man is so attractive that even democracies end up with them.  Our tribal nature exalts the strong man.  Democracy seems like a little detour compared to the powerful human drive to be led by totalitarians.  It’s scary.

You are on a roll EN.  When you lump Trump Admin as a dictatorship with the likes of North Korea, Muslim World where Sultans and Kings rule, even in Turkey where countless journalists are in prison for criticizing Erdogan, ... you have lost all sense of perspective. Fortunately for you, your usual audience will not notice.

When you look at Trump’s praise of “strong” leaders like Erdogan and Putin, I don’t think I’m far off the mark.  He is not a dictator yet, but he shows an affinity for that sort of leadership style.  We’ll see how he develops.  We are flirting with dictatorship - we aren’t married yet or even engaged.  But the trend is troubling.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  4892
Joined  25-08-2009

21 April 2017 15:12

People want to feel safe and taken care of.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

21 April 2017 16:12

From Chris Wallace:

“Fox News host Chris Wallace argued on Sunday that President Donald Trump “crossed a line” when he called the media “the enemy of the American People.”

Following Trump’s Friday attack on the news media, Wallace reminded the hosts of Fox & Friends that the country’s founders believed that a free press was a vital component to the functioning of a free and fair democracy.

“When he said the fake news media is not my enemy, it is the enemy of the American people, I believe that crosses an important line,” the Fox News host noted.

Wallace also agreed with Sen. John McCain (R-AZ), who recently pointed out that shutting down a free press was “how dictators get started.”

“It’s a check on power, and he was saying that in dictatorships, there’s state-run media and there’s no opportunity for a free independent press,” Wallace explained. “So, I think he’s exactly right there.”“

< 1 2 3 4 5 >