“I’m a Christian, a conservative, and a Republican, in that order,”

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  8614
Joined  20-10-2006

26 June 2017 23:37

This is kind of old, but last year at the Republican National Convention, Mike Pence said, “I’m a Christian, a conservative, and a Republican, in that order,”

What about “American”?  Does he represent those Americans without his preferred traits?

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2298
Joined  19-01-2015

26 June 2017 23:58

This statement is a direct rejection of the principles of the Constitution in particular, and the system of democracy as a whole.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5293
Joined  25-08-2009

27 June 2017 04:17

and he is going to be the next President of the United States

bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol
Total Posts:  5550
Joined  05-04-2006

27 June 2017 05:28

Twissel - 26 June 2017 11:58 PM

This statement is a direct rejection of the principles of the Constitution in particular, and the system of democracy as a whole.

Yes. It’s also a rejection of patriotism. Real, sincere, love of country and your fellow countrymen.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14436
Joined  24-12-2004

27 June 2017 06:02

President:

Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:—“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

Military, Officer:

I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

Military, Enlisted:

I, (state name of enlistee), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  5498
Joined  22-02-2005

27 June 2017 08:01

That has been Mr. Pence’s most uttered line since he first appeared as the whitest object ever on C-SPAN. It will soon be displaced by ‘broad shouldered’.

Democratic pluralism is good for Christianity. It creates the illusion of being fair while Christians wait for Jesus to get here. When Jesus gets here, everything will be the way He wants it to be. If Christians can just hold out until Jesus finally shows up, everything will turn out okay in the end. In the meantime, this democracy stuff is cool.

Anything Mr. Pence can do now to earn messiah-points will pay-off when that time comes and everything changes. That includes complimenting Jesus’s broad shoulders.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  2329
Joined  26-03-2013

27 June 2017 16:04

Is he the guy that fathered those albino children in Village of the Damned?

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  4489
Joined  28-05-2009

27 June 2017 23:57

I suppose it’s a refreshing note of honesty. Many republicans, and democrats for that matter take great pains to appear unbiased and broadminded and pluralistic when their actual behavior reflects a much narrower field of concern. At least we know where we stand with Pence.

Hitchens Immortal

Hitchens Immortal
Total Posts:  447
Joined  19-06-2016

13 July 2017 14:38

Remember when Vichy France changed the motto from ‘liberty, equality, brotherhood’ to ‘labor, family, fatherland’?

You can’t let people get away with that shit. They already have to some extent here with out money and the pledge of allegiance.

The tactic goes: Change it now, stonewall any attempt to challenge that change… keep it in court long enough so that eventually you can say “It’s been that way for so long it’s a tradition, why are all you RADICALS trying to change our tradition?”.  Congratulations, you now live in a world with the Newspeak 9th edition dictionary.