Project Reason Query

Kalessin

Kalessin
Total Posts:  19
Joined  02-07-2017

07 July 2017 12:29

Hello all

I work in the not-for-profit sector in the UK although I have also established a 501c3 in the US so this is an area of professional interest for me as well as my intellectual engagement with Sam Harris forum.

So, the brief snippets about Project Reason that I saw when I first came here and read about Sam Harris online were intriguing.  And according to Guidestar -

“THE REASON PROJECT IS A 501 (C) (3) NONPROFIT FOUNDATION DEVOTED TO SPREADING SCIENTIFIC KNOWLEDGE AND SECULAR VALUES IN SOCIETY. DRAWING ON THE TALENTS OF THE MOST PROMINENT AND CREATIVE THINKERS ACROSS A WIDE RANGE OF DISCIPLINES, THE RESON PROJECT SEEKS TO ENCOURAGE CRITICAL THINKING AND WISE PUBLIC POLICY THROUGH A VARIETY OF INTERREALTED PROJECTS”

This is really my sort of thing (apart from the typos!)  But there’s not much else on Guidestar apart from it being established in 2008.  The IRS Website shows Project Reason as a Private Fund with a filing for tax year 2007.  Obviously there IS a Project Reason and it’s been live in some way relatively recently (judging by the dates on these forums).

But without using some of my office research tools I can’t find out much more about it ... am I missing something obvious?  I’m a supporter of the Podcast and contribute to a range of organisations that I am in sympathy with, so it would be great to know how and what the organisation is doing.

If anyone can help do let me know!  If it’s better offline or complicated do message me smile
Thanks in advance
Kalessin

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  5299
Joined  22-02-2005

07 July 2017 18:31

Project Reason was a website with a forum started many years ago by The Boss and others. Us SH Forum patrons were told to migrate to it because this site would close (never happened). It was a busy place for many years while this forum was a ghost town.

PR was shut down in the fall of ‘15 and we were told to migrate back here. PRF threads were combined with SHF threads and the whole thing was a mess for a while.

This forum is run by posters and not by The Boss or his staff.

Future SH Forum posting generations must be told the story of our exodus, perhaps once a year over a festive dinner.

Kalessin

Kalessin
Total Posts:  19
Joined  02-07-2017

08 July 2017 08:59

Thanks for the reply.  So the Project Reason charity itself is also closed? There are quite a few web pages (including Wikipedia) with out of date information!

According to RationalWiki - “The project will draw on the talents of prominent and creative thinkers from a wide range of disciplines — science, law, literature, entertainment, information technology, etc. — to encourage critical thinking and wise public policy. It will convene conferences, produce films, sponsor scientific research and opinion polls, award grants to other non-profit organizations, and offer material support to religious dissidents and public intellectuals — with the purpose of eroding the influence of dogmatism, superstition and bigotry in the world.”  ... which is all very appealing!

Kalessin

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  5299
Joined  22-02-2005

08 July 2017 10:50

I have no idea. Wait and see if the check is drawn?