16 July 2017 08:18

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  8599
Joined  20-10-2006

16 July 2017 10:29

bbearren - 16 July 2017 08:18 AM

The Deep History of the Radical Right’s Stealth Plan for America

I wouldn’t call it stealth, they tell you up front what they want - to privatize everything and anyone who uses public services is a taker.  There is nothing new or radical about that.  Every tea badger I’ve met feels this way and they say it loudly and proudly.  My mom wants to eliminate public education, my dad and uncles want to eliminate social security, all want to eliminate welfare and food stamps, all want to eliminate public housing and subsidies, all want to deregulate everything except police, they want private water delivery, they want to make everyone who needs help to ask for it from charities and not the government, they want to destroy unions, and they literally want a system of every-man-for-himself.  Private ownership and self-sufficiency is the goal of the right wing, which is fine for them because they have the social status and/or money to protect them from being one-paycheck from being homeless.  They detest the poor and want to make the poor pay for being poor, which is the polar opposite of the religion they profess to follow. 

I’m for private property rights, but with restrictions.  I’m for capitalism, but with restrictions.  Unrestricted capitalism results in a few winners who then write the rules to make sure they stay winners, and this is proven again and again in history, until the poor can’t take it anymore and revolt and tear down the entire social structure, and the process starts anew.

The question is, How come this idea works to convince the poor to help protect the money and power of the wealthy for nothing in return?  We saw it during the Civil War when poor whites fought to preserve the lives and property of rich whites, and it is still true today.  The Koch’s are not hiding anything, but rather they are doing a great job of convincing the poor to give the wealthy more money and power.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  755
Joined  01-11-2014

16 July 2017 14:30

Skipshot - 16 July 2017 10:29 AM
bbearren - 16 July 2017 08:18 AM

The Deep History of the Radical Right’s Stealth Plan for America

I wouldn’t call it stealth, they tell you up front what they want - to privatize everything and anyone who uses public services is a taker.  There is nothing new or radical about that.  Every tea badger I’ve met feels this way and they say it loudly and proudly.  My mom wants to eliminate public education, my dad and uncles want to eliminate social security, all want to eliminate welfare and food stamps, all want to eliminate public housing and subsidies, all want to deregulate everything except police, they want private water delivery, they want to make everyone who needs help to ask for it from charities and not the government, they want to destroy unions, and they literally want a system of every-man-for-himself.  Private ownership and self-sufficiency is the goal of the right wing, which is fine for them because they have the social status and/or money to protect them from being one-paycheck from being homeless.  They detest the poor and want to make the poor pay for being poor, which is the polar opposite of the religion they profess to follow. 

I’m for private property rights, but with restrictions.  I’m for capitalism, but with restrictions.  Unrestricted capitalism results in a few winners who then write the rules to make sure they stay winners, and this is proven again and again in history, until the poor can’t take it anymore and revolt and tear down the entire social structure, and the process starts anew.

The question is, How come this idea works to convince the poor to help protect the money and power of the wealthy for nothing in return?  We saw it during the Civil War when poor whites fought to preserve the lives and property of rich whites, and it is still true today.  The Koch’s are not hiding anything, but rather they are doing a great job of convincing the poor to give the wealthy more money and power.

Bravo, Skip.

Well said.

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  2899
Joined  20-11-2013

16 July 2017 15:45

The question is, How come this idea works to convince the poor to help protect the money and power of the wealthy for nothing in return?  We saw it during the Civil War when poor whites fought to preserve the lives and property of rich whites, and it is still true today.

This, perhaps?

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

16 July 2017 17:05

bbearren - 16 July 2017 03:45 PM

The question is, How come this idea works to convince the poor to help protect the money and power of the wealthy for nothing in return?  We saw it during the Civil War when poor whites fought to preserve the lives and property of rich whites, and it is still true today.

This, perhaps?

Perhaps that is part of the answer, but what about the “nothing in return” part?  What do Trump supporters get for electing him?

Perhaps this is another part of the answer:  “If you can convince the lowest white man he’s better than the best colored man, he won’t notice you’re picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he’ll empty his pockets for you.”  President Lyndon Johnson, attributed

Johnson’s point is that hatred, fear, and scorn along social class issues is a powerful distractor for the weak minded, and a useful tool for the politically and financially powerful.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  19393
Joined  11-03-2007

16 July 2017 17:48

Skipshot - 16 July 2017 05:05 PM

This, perhaps?

Perhaps that is part of the answer, but what about the “nothing in return” part?  What do Trump supporters get for electing him?

Perhaps this is another part of the answer:  “If you can convince the lowest white man he’s better than the best colored man, he won’t notice you’re picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he’ll empty his pockets for you.”  President Lyndon Johnson, attributed

Johnson’s point is that hatred, fear, and scorn along social class issues is a powerful distractor for the weak minded, and a useful tool for the politically and financially powerful.

So it’s a manifestation of tribalism - we whites stick together, rich and poor, to make sure our tribe stays on top?

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  2899
Joined  20-11-2013

16 July 2017 20:47

EN - 16 July 2017 05:48 PM

This, perhaps?

So it’s a manifestation of tribalism - we whites stick together, rich and poor, to make sure our tribe stays on top?

More misanthropic than that, it would seem.  “Makers” and “takers” classism is less about color.

“My Tax Dollars!” are much more important than the alleviation of human suffering, at any age, at any level.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

16 July 2017 21:38

EN - 16 July 2017 05:48 PM

If I am correct, Karl Marx wrote about this.  “Workers of the world unite!  You have nothing to lose but your chains!”  Apparently the slogan is discredited because it is communist.  Marx wrote of a workers’ tribe, and conservatives proclaim a racial tribe but couched as a poor vs. rich thing, I.e. minorities are poor, whites are middle class.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

18 July 2017 11:20

bbearren - 16 July 2017 08:47 PM

“My Tax Dollars!” are much more important than the alleviation of human suffering, at any age, at any level.

Yep.

LoriBell

LoriBell
Total Posts:  128
Joined  03-08-2015

18 July 2017 12:10

For your consideration:

A post from a while back: “You Get What You ‘Play’ For!”

http://theblueturtleblog.blogspot.com/2016/10/you-get-what-you-play-for-2016.html

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  2316
Joined  26-03-2013

19 July 2017 06:24

The ruble the dollar the yen and the mark
You can’t hear the holler within all the dark
One of these notes isn’t playing the song
The ballot that votes is what tells us it’s wrong
Only wanting the win coz the feeling is fun
Leaves us shedding our skin living under the sun
All with the drive we’re all prompted by thirst
And once we arrive we forget who was first
Except for the ones who want to get paid
While zeroes and ones lie in beds that we made
Wandering lost hearkening back to our birth
To now count the cost for all that it’s worth
There’s fair to be found and that’s all that it takes
Standing our ground as we smoke out the snakes
Through all the hissing they slither away
And hides what we’re missing day after day
As sunlight is fading the money’s a lark
While we’re all wading the yen makes its mark
The abuse of the paper in violate rash
Show the banker’s a raper without any cash
The importance we place is what currency needs
And not slap in the face all the pockets it bleeds
It’s time to confess from the right to the left
Anything less would be modern day theft.

prometheus808

prometheus808
Total Posts:  3
Joined  23-07-2017

23 July 2017 16:27

So white working class America is weak minded for voting for a guy who platformed on Nationalist themes of bringing their jobs back and halting the flood of 3rd world migrants into their communities.

Instead white America was suppose to vote for Globalists who gloatingly tell them they are a dying demographic soon to be replaced by the 3rd world migrants they are importing. You got no jobs and your communities are blighted by a raging opioid epidemic? LOL, you had it coming you racist bigots! By the way don’t forget to vote for me, remember “Stronger Together!”.