Hi from Germany

Ground

Ground
Total Posts:  24
Joined  16-07-2017

16 July 2017 08:42

Hi

I live in Germany. I like the buddhist philosophical approach from a perspective of non-speculative rationality, i.e. excluding all religious beliefs.
I learned that there is a ‘Sam Harris forum’ in a buddhist forum where one of the usual Sam Harris bashings were going on among buddhist believers LOL
This again has shown me that buddhist forums can be useful wink

I am not a Sam Harris fan. I have not even read one of his books and I do not intend to read one. I have come across the name ‘Sam Harris’ due to quotes provided in buddhist forums and I found inspiring what was quoted. But I reject any kind of ‘teacher’, ‘master’, ‘guru’ or ‘this one knows better than me’ cult or the like.
I have joined this forum just for the purpose of inspiration.

Regards

[ Edited: 16 July 2017 09:07 by Ground]

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2262
Joined  19-01-2015

16 July 2017 09:35

hi there.

Maybe you could just google “Sam Harris” before joining his forum….

he doesn’t “teach” Buddhism, though I am waiting for meditation app he has promised for a year or so…

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  8485
Joined  20-10-2006

16 July 2017 10:35

Sam Harris doesn’t post here, there is no great leader here, and we generally think anyone (including the regulars) who doesn’t agree with our posts is stupid, and most regulars here don’t follow Buddhism at all, so how about keeping the projections to a minimum?

However, if you stick around you may learn something, that is, if learning is a goal.

Ground

Ground
Joined  16-07-2017

16 July 2017 21:28

Twissel - 16 July 2017 09:35 AM

hi there.

Maybe you could just google “Sam Harris” before joining his forum….

he doesn’t “teach” Buddhism, though I am waiting for meditation app he has promised for a year or so…

Please read again what I have written. If done so you should be able infer that I do not look for any kind of teacher of whatever.

Ground

Ground
Joined  16-07-2017

16 July 2017 21:35

Skipshot - 16 July 2017 10:35 AM

Sam Harris doesn’t post here, there is no great leader here,

Perfect!

and we generally think anyone (including the regulars) who doesn’t agree with our posts is stupid, and most regulars here don’t follow Buddhism at all,

Perfect! That is ... you are already speaking of yourself as ‘we’ which may be a first evidence for a collective cult. LOL

so how about keeping the projections to a minimum?

That would mean to not write anything *ggg

However, if you stick around you may learn something, that is, if learning is a goal.

As I said it is not learning that I intend, but I call it inspiration. Having said that your post has been a great inspiration. As as evidenced my introduction post has been an inspiration for you. wink

Mr Wayne

Mr Wayne
Total Posts:  728
Joined  01-10-2014

18 July 2017 18:06

Welcome, Ground.