‹ First  < 2 3 4

Dennett’s Parable of the Sower

Traces Elk

Traces Elk
Total Posts:  5591
Joined  27-09-2006

21 August 2009 14:50

teuchter - 19 August 2009 06:09 PM

The idea that relations of exchange should replace relations of liege was not the result of a battle of memes, but a transformation of the productive relations of society.

Waaaaaal, y’know, I think the phrase “transformation of the productive relations of society”, while not totally devoid of meaning, can be fleshed out to have just as much “explanatory power” as the phrase “battle of memes”. I think what you’ve identified in “relations” is there somewhere in “memes”. The real problem with memes is that the term refers to too wide a variety of cognitive events. It’s understanding the analogy over-all that some consider worth while, and not necessarily being able to label and trace memes through the meme pool. Is “capitalism” really so much more “virulent” than feudalism? It’s more effective at making big piles of stuff at one geographic location. What’s “virulent” is wanting to make big piles of stuff at one geographic location.

Transformation transforms! Beware the possibility of impossibility.

[ Edited: 21 August 2009 14:59 by Traces Elk]

burt

burt
Total Posts:  14481
Joined  17-12-2006

21 August 2009 16:42

John Brand - 21 August 2009 02:47 PM
burt - 20 August 2009 08:55 PM

Question: why do the more rabid right wing types seem to be somewhat overweight with necks constrained by tight collars?  Is that an unconsciously present meme that they aspire to emulate, or is it a result of their ideology?  grin

LOL That does remind me of Thorstein Veblen’s Theory of the Leisure Class.  He pointed out that certain habits of clothing, shoes, etc. were designed to demonstrate that the person wearing them was able to enjoy some of the leisure that only those who inherited wealth enjoy.  For example, the high heel shoe (how could a person do any work in in shoes like this).  The fact that they are uncomfortable only enhances the esteem!

When I look at one of these guys it seems to me that they are saying something like “I’m really exasperated” and I worry that they may pop.

‹ First  < 2 3 4