Project Reason and Sam Harris forums

Susie Gardner

Susie Gardner
Total Posts:  2
Joined  07-07-2006

19 April 2010 13:51

Until today members with an account on either the Project Reason or the SamHarris.org forums automatically had access to the other forums with the same username and password. Today we have changed some server settings and the forum member bases are now separate. This means new members, who create a new account in one location, will have to create an account on the other as well. Members who already had accounts still have them, but they should be thought of as two separate accounts. Change the password on one, and the other remains the same.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Thanks!

[ Edited: 24 January 2015 11:24 by Nhoj Morley]

Susie Gardner

Susie Gardner
Total Posts:  2
Joined  07-07-2006

20 April 2010 10:24

I’ve received some questions about the post counts associated with your accounts. Basically, you are going to see that the numbers have gone down, first on the Project Reason forums and then also on the SamHarris.org forums. This is because the post counts were a total from both sets of forums (they were being run by the same system), and now that we have separated them, your post count on each will reflect only the counts on that system.

Having said that, it’ll be another couple of days before you see that take effect on SamHarris.org; we’ve left everything in place here for technical reasons but will be removing the duplicated items shortly.

Best,
Susie.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  503
Joined  22-02-2005

23 January 2015 19:21

Welcome to the Sam Harris Forum. Now 10 years old!

Posting activity is slowly resuming on this site by new patrons. Years ago, this place was vibrant and busy. Then, suddenly, we were all whisked off in trucks to the new Project Reason Forum. We were told this forum was to be taken down. It’s still here, and its original patrons are still at Project Reason.

Don’t be misled by the staggering post counts here or the 300,000+ membership at PR. This is the machinations of the spammers. Here, every post and thread is hit over and over again by automation. At the PR Forum, we get a steady stream of new spambot members every day. In both cases, the idea is to make the forums conspicuous to automated spamming programs, like a searchlight. The PR Forum’s actual membership is maybe 10,000 and probably much less. Actual thread view counts here are actually in the single or double digits in most cases.

This forum gets a ton of spam dumped on it every day. It is swept several times a day and there usually no need to send alerts or report posts. Save that for real problems. As a mere Administrator, I can ban hammer and block IP’s but can do nothing else to defend the place. I have no knowledge of any efforts taken by the Uber Admins to stop it.

If you start a thread, be patient. It could be a week or ten days before someone’s thoughtful response appears.

If traffic here continues to grow, we will need to consider choosing a new Admin who can focus on this site. I focus on the PR Forum along with MARTIN UK and that’s where I post and that’s what I can keep up with. Service is a little slower here.

Each of The Boss’s new books brings a wave of new posters. Please stick around or join us on the Project Reason Forum.