1 2 3 >  Last ›

BRING IT ON ATHEISTS 2

Anonymous

Anonymous
Total Posts:  2890
Joined  02-12-2004

21 March 2005 13:46

okay so if the universe is infinite how is it we have energy that runs out? shooting stars, the sun will run out .. ect

hampsteadpete

hampsteadpete
Total Posts:  1284
Joined  21-12-2004

21 March 2005 13:55

Shooting stars are just fallen pieces of the firmament that holds the water back.  The sun wont run out, because it will still have plenty of hydrogen left when the rapture comes.  Not to worry!

JustThis

JustThis
Total Posts:  182
Joined  12-03-2005

22 March 2005 06:16

Wait a minute, science says that the universe is expanding. I thought that it was god’s universe that was infinite.

Anonymous

Anonymous
Joined  02-12-2004

22 March 2005 15:18

just as i thought.. no one could explain the energy part =)

Anonymous

Anonymous
Joined  02-12-2004

22 March 2005 15:34

[quote author=“Anonymous”]okay so if the universe is infinite how is it we have energy that runs out? shooting stars, the sun will run out .. ect

Energy doesn’t run out.  Everything in the universe evolves, changes, and recycles itself.  As to the sun (and other stars), new material is constantly being formed from condensing dust and gases… these elements resulted from previous explosions/implosions of other stars.  The entire cosmos is like a living organism… constantly changing and evolving, changing form and substance, but not “running out”.

This is a really simplified explanation, but I hope you get the drift.  Also, think of water on Earth as an example.  We have a pool of water that “dries up”, but it doesn’t cease to exist.  The water evaporates into the atmosphere (changing form to water vapor), then condenses into clouds and returns to earth to form a new pool of water.

Anonymous

Anonymous
Joined  02-12-2004

31 March 2005 14:48

The matter within the universe is not static, it is always in flux.  As the universe expands the matter within it gets farther apart and the flames die out.  It is similar to friction, the speed and proximity of matter is what ignites stars.  Stars have a limited amount of fuel, and when they burn out they remain as “super dense” bodies in the cold of space.  In some regions of galaxies stars are closer together and when they die out they provide material for new and bigger stars.  These regions are typically close to the center ‘star-forming’ regions of galaxies near the black hole.  Eventually the stars get bigger and farther away from each other and just exist as dwarves or neutron stars for eternity.  There is no energy connection between the infinite galaxy anf the finite matter contained within it.  The universe seems to expand with an energy all its own, which is very strange indeeed.  The matter will never lose its potential energy, but its energy output will most inevitably cease.  The fires will burn out.  Our sun is at midlife, and has about 5 billion years to go, based on the amount of fuel remaining.

Andrew

Anonymous

Anonymous
Joined  02-12-2004

31 March 2005 14:52

edit above: i meant infinite universe, not galaxy.  Why cant i edit…???

Anonymous

Anonymous
Joined  02-12-2004

31 March 2005 17:43

Hey Guest, you learned all that about stars just by looking through a telescope? Ha ha.. that just makes one laugh. You know almost nothing at all, really. You folks look through your telescopes and take pictures.  Then you surmise by your pictures a whole lot of conjecture. Your comment about the sun being at its midlife made me laugh out loud.

You’ve only about, what, 500 years of data. And here you are talking about matters concerning objects millions of light years away. It just reeks of arrogance.

Only God truly knows the secrets of the universe. However, he does give us some insight. It is in the bible. Read all about it.

(ha ha, that just made my night….thank you)

hampsteadpete

hampsteadpete
Total Posts:  1284
Joined  21-12-2004

31 March 2005 23:39

Champ, you don’t know what you don’t know!

So why don’t you keep your mouth shut.

Pete

Anonymous

Anonymous
Joined  02-12-2004

01 April 2005 08:48

It’s worse than that.  He thinks he does know.  But he doesn’t even know that he doesn’t know.  Oh damn, now I’ve gone crosseyed!

Anonymous

Anonymous
Joined  02-12-2004

01 April 2005 14:30

Champ,

Wow, hell i dont even own a telescope and would not know how to operate one if i did.  I learned that by reading other books besides the bible.  You do know that other books exist don’t you? 

Andrew

Anonymous

Anonymous
Joined  02-12-2004

01 April 2005 14:38

Champ,

I do think your comprehesion level could use some work though.  You did not even recognize the bone i tossed over into the christian camp.  I’ll state it again just to make sure you are not as dense as your post led me to believe.  It is strange indeed that the universe is expanding with an unknown energy that cannot be explained by the wonders of modern science.  Im surprised that christians don’t desperately latch on to the unexplained mysteries of the universe as support for their small beliefs. 

Andrew

Anonymous

Anonymous
Joined  02-12-2004

01 April 2005 14:44

Champ,

And ask yourself this when you question the science of our understanding of the inner workings of stars, how were humans able to build nuclear weapons if not by an understanding of the engine within a star.  Our mere 500 years of data is also backed up by continued predictions and applications that work.  How do you explain this contradiction of yours, does the nuclear energy that powers a portion of america not really exist in your mind, just because the bible tells you so.  You gotta get out more bud.  And i don’t mean door to door trying to convince people of your complete insanity. 

Andrew

Iisbliss

Iisbliss
Total Posts:  1182
Joined  22-12-2004

01 April 2005 20:44

Hmm… Fusion powers stars, the condenscation of matter from lighter to heavier elements, which from my very limited understanding of physics, is the opposite of fission, which is splitting molecules to release energy in the form of heat.

Stars dont normally burn down to nothing, afaik, they usually explode or implode.  Stars make hydrogen into iron and lead and other denser element, and that is why our solar system has to be a second generation or later formation.

As for the concept of the expansion of the universe, and the size of the universe, I believe you will find this under the heading of “theories”.  While there is alot of science that supports these ideas, I don’t think anyone has had the hubris you claim to state them as facts.

Matter and energy are basically made of the same stuff, and nothing is created nor destroyed, it just changes form.  Much like all humans must have the same soul no? that just changes form in order to go to heaven?

Anonymous

Anonymous
Joined  02-12-2004

02 April 2005 03:33

[quote author=“Iisbliss”]Hmm… Fusion powers stars, the condenscation of matter from lighter to heavier elements, which from my very limited understanding of physics, is the opposite of fission, which is splitting molecules to release energy in the form of heat.

Stars dont normally burn down to nothing, afaik, they usually explode or implode.  Stars make hydrogen into iron and lead and other denser element, and that is why our solar system has to be a second generation or later formation.

As for the concept of the expansion of the universe, and the size of the universe, I believe you will find this under the heading of “theories”.  While there is alot of science that supports these ideas, I don’t think anyone has had the hubris you claim to state them as facts.

Matter and energy are basically made of the same stuff, and nothing is created nor destroyed, it just changes form.  Much like all humans must have the same soul no? that just changes form in order to go to heaven?

While fission and fusion are different, they are both understood by the same principles of nuclear physics.

The expansion of the universe is a theory backed up by the observation of red shift in stellar bodies.  These same principles correctly predict the presence of certain elements and the speed in whch things move away from us in the galaxy and universe before our spacecraft arrive and confirm these predictions (in some limited cases).  It is called spectroscopy and has a long history of success.  There are other more basic physical principles like gravity that tend to confirm expansion, and even acceleration.

normal matter and energy are the same stuff, but recently our understanding of theories of dark energy and dark matter have been increasing.  But this is definitely mysterious stuff that is far from proven and not without controversy. 

Andrew

bulldog

bulldog
Total Posts:  278
Joined  02-04-2005

06 April 2005 02:18

[quote author=“Anonymous”]Why cant i edit…???

You have to register, then login before you post. It takes about two minutes. It’s free and aside from a valid email address, you don’t have to reveal any information about yourself that you don’t want to.

- Bulldog

1 2 3 >  Last ›