stardusk
Total Posts:  765
Joined  01-06-2006

11 November 2006 23:36

Sandy
Total Posts:  591
Joined  22-11-2005

13 November 2006 00:48

I saw the program yesterday afternoon.  He was terrific!  Some of the students seemed unable to form their questions.  I believe that our young adults are missing their critical thinking tools.  Few slurred their words so badly I could hardly understand the question and Dawkins was having a problem as well.

Could it be that phonics are being overlooked in our schools?  Do these kids ever read orally?  Many of the students wanted to be convinced by Dawkins that there is no God instead of figuring it out for themselves.  His answers were great!  He threw the questions back at them but tossed out some clues on how to make the evaluation.

snapshot1
Total Posts:  308
Joined  18-10-2006

13 November 2006 06:02

I especially liked the part where he told everyone at Liberty University to drop out and attend a real university.  raspberry

Sandy
Joined  22-11-2005

13 November 2006 06:09

Snapshot.  Did you notice how the audience clapped when he suggested they find another University?  Very enjoyable presentation.

johnpritzlaff

johnpritzlaff
Total Posts:  87
Joined  18-09-2006

13 November 2006 08:15

It really was great!

nv
Total Posts:  2821
Joined  29-04-2005

13 November 2006 10:41

[quote author=“snapshot1”]I especially liked the part where he told everyone at Liberty University to drop out and attend a real university.  raspberry

I recorded the lecture yesterday and watched it this morning, paying close attention to the questioners. Glaringly obvious to me was how poorly phrased and awkwardly read the questions were from students at Falwell’s charade of a university, with each of them unfortunately stuck at about a 3rd-grade reading/writing level. On the other hand, all of the questioners from the valid university were blessed with adult minds.

stardusk
Total Posts:  765
Joined  01-06-2006

13 November 2006 17:49

[quote author=“homunculus”][quote author=“snapshot1”]I especially liked the part where he told everyone at Liberty University to drop out and attend a real university.  raspberry

I recorded the lecture yesterday and watched it this morning, paying close attention to the questioners. Glaringly obvious to me was how poorly phrased and awkwardly read the questions were from students at Falwell’s charade of a university, with each of them unfortunately stuck at about a 3rd-grade reading/writing level. On the other hand, all of the questioners from the valid university were blessed with adult minds.

In the name of almighty Zeus. amen 8)

Sandy
Joined  22-11-2005

14 November 2006 01:34

I too was shocked at their lack of thinking before asking their questions.  They had little phonic training as their words tended to run together.  I didn’t realize this was a Christian college.  No wonder their critical thinking was missing. 

Imagine having to run all your thoughts and words through the Jesus Sieve before asking a simple question or making a simple statement.  It’s almost like having to translate from one language to another.