Contact (dance) Improvisation

Mike78

Mike78
Total Posts:  1719
Joined  05-06-2012

18 April 2012 17:26

I watched about a third of a six minute video of a couple of guys engaging in this practice, which I understand has a relationship to yoga (if not in substance, at least in interested populations).  I gather that some people consider this to be some manifestation of an inner something.  Personally, it looks like a couple of mugs rolling over each other loosely in response to some crappy music.  In summary, I believe I observed the unlocking of inner bullshit.  Would a person who doesn’t hate their money actually pay to be instructed in this foolishness?

http://youtu.be/zQRF2sLK1vY

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14483
Joined  24-12-2004

18 April 2012 17:35

I can teach this stuff for much cheaper, I’m sure ... only it might be a bit more ... uh ... high impact ... and probably with a good deal less contact.

Mike78

Mike78
Joined  05-06-2012

18 April 2012 17:54

Several times a year it occurs to me that religion/spirituality has got to be the easiest way to make money.  People are literally falling all over each other in the quest to harmonize with the ultimate brain fart.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4753
Joined  19-08-2010

19 April 2012 06:41

Mike78 - 18 April 2012 03:26 PM

I watched about a third of a six minute video of a couple of guys engaging in this practice, which I understand has a relationship to yoga (if not in substance, at least in interested populations).  I gather that some people consider this to be some manifestation of an inner something.  Personally, it looks like a couple of mugs rolling over each other loosely in response to some crappy music.  In summary, I believe I observed the unlocking of inner bullshit.  Would a person who doesn’t hate their money actually pay to be instructed in this foolishness?

It’s about unleashing your inner….erm..horniness I reckon, it’s a dick thing for me.
Imagine how it would look with your own sexual preference in relation to it…..now hold that thought…...any twitching, tingles or twinges going on for you…..maybe?
Try and see it as a more refined version of classic mud wrestling, then it may strike a chord… cheese

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Total Posts:  6576
Joined  23-05-2008

19 April 2012 07:51

MARTIN UK - 19 April 2012 04:41 AM

It’s about unleashing your inner….erm..horniness I reckon, it’s a dick thing for me.
Imagine how it would look with your own sexual preference in relation to it…..now hold that thought…...any twitching, tingles or twinges going on for you…..maybe?
Try and see it as a more refined version of classic mud wrestling, then it may strike a chord… cheese

Yeah, Martin. Actually, I think it’s probably best done in the nude. Not much point doing it otherwise. And those guys have done it before - I’d bet on that.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14483
Joined  24-12-2004

19 April 2012 10:14

Yeah, I thought of that, and yeah, that would work for me.

And I’d still be ready and willing to teach this, more in line with the video, but focusing much more on constant contact—no violence.

Which reminds me ... when a reporter (comedian, really—Beth Littleford) was “cornering” then Gov. Jesse (the Mind) Ventura regarding wrestling being fake, he corrected her, explaining that “fake” doesn’t really make sense in that context, and that it’s more or less choreographed (I don’t recall the details—didn’t care enough to make any mental notes about that, the “validity” of wrestling isn’t a terribly controversial issue for me). He described it as “ballet, with violence”. You can imagine him saying it if you’re familiar with his voice. That still makes me happy.

Mike78

Mike78
Joined  05-06-2012

19 April 2012 11:07

Fine.  It’s some kind of horny craptastic improv ballet.  Now picture one of these douchbags describing to you how it helps them explore their spiritual relationship to the other, bla, bla, blow my brains out.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  15915
Joined  15-02-2008

19 April 2012 13:25

Mike78 - 19 April 2012 09:07 AM

Fine.  It’s some kind of horny craptastic improv ballet.  Now picture one of these douchbags describing to you how it helps them explore their spiritual relationship to the other, bla, bla, blow my brains out.

LOL

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4753
Joined  19-08-2010

19 April 2012 13:56

Mike78 - 19 April 2012 09:07 AM

Yup…that would spoil it all I must admit.

MrRon

MrRon
Total Posts:  1500
Joined  14-08-2008

21 April 2012 10:28

From Wiki…

Contact Improvisation (also referred to as “Contact” or “CI”) is a 39-year old dance form[citation needed], practiced as both a concert and social dance form. In the performance context, Contact Improvisation is used either as a dance practice end-to-itself or as a dance research method for identifying new set choreography. Weekly meetings of practitioners that take place world-wide are called “jams,” in which participants participate and watch as they choose over the course of 2-4 hours. Dancers practice both known CI technique and conduct new dance research with different partners or groupings over the course of a Jam session. The name “Jam” is used in keeping with its use by contemporary musicians, who come together to spontaneously explore musical forms and ideas, with some group agreement about structure and duration of the exploration. While there is now an established CI Fundamentals technique, CI dance vocabulary is not closed, so all who practice the form contribute to the constant expansion and greater understanding of the dance form’s vocabulary, which is exchanged and taught among practictioners world-wide via regional jams, classes, week-long festivals, both print and online publications and, since its inception, via video in a process of dancing/watching/refining. While CI dancers usually stay touching or in physical contact for much of a dance, a CI dance can occur in which partners never touch yet there is a clear “listening” and energetic connection/intention that creates the “contact” of their shared dance.

So I don’t think it’s meant to be “spritual” or “enlightening” so to speak. Still, it is corny as hell.

cunjevoi

cunjevoi
Total Posts:  720
Joined  31-08-2011

22 April 2012 05:19

I thought it was kinda visually interesting - you know as a study of movement. A male/female pairing would be interesting too. Of course any ‘spiritual’ or ‘holistic’ significance they claim is shite but it was at least aesthetically pleasing to me. Sort of physically fluid and organic. I said ‘organic’! It did remind me of The Flight of the Concords song that is in no way homophobic, just observational. http://youtu.be/9Wl_uQOABxg