What’s Up With The History Channel?

MrRon

MrRon
Total Posts:  1499
Joined  14-08-2008

22 April 2012 13:29

I used to really like The History Channel, but it seems that they have sold their soul and crossed over into the pseudo-science realm. “Nostradamus” type shows seem to be the norm these days. The problem is that the channel has an air of authority, so people generally unquestioningly accept whatever they throw out there.

Yesterday, my sister (a woo-woo believer if there ever was one) excitedly called me to tell me to watch an episode of “The Nostradamus Effect.” She said that scientists would be talking about end of world prophecy as predicted in the “War Scrolls” portion of the Dead Sea scrolls. I reluctantly agreed to watch it, knowing that I would be duly unimpressed. And I was right. In summary, ancient texts contained verses such as “The Sons of Light will battle the Sons of Darkness”, and other equally vague passages. The implication being these prophecies are coming/may come/will come to pass. Furthermore, the “scientists” on the show were a couple authors of armageddon books, a pastor, a couple of “scroll historians” and one or two Jewish scholars (Gee - do you think they’re unbiased?). But no bonafide scientists among them. No Michael Shermer types to put things in perspective. And although the show made no specific claims, and a good portion of the show was indeed purely historical, nevertheless the takeaway for most people will be that reasonable and reputable scholars (the “scientists” in the show) pretty much agree that there is something to this prophecy stuff. Therefore, it’s probably true. After all, it was on the well produced and respected History Channel.

Oh, and let’s not forget the Ancient Aliens shows, UFO shows, crop circle shows, etc. For those, like my sister, who have a desire to have their “fantasies” validated, The History Channel is the perfect vehicle for confirmation bias. I’m really starting to dislike that channel.

Ron

Andrew

Andrew
Total Posts:  8526
Joined  15-06-2006

22 April 2012 14:02

You’ll develop a greater appreciation for the history channel if you stay away from the woo and the nutcases (stay far away from Simcha Jacobovici) and just watch the quality stuff they offer…like Swamp People and Ice Road Truckers.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  8642
Joined  20-10-2006

22 April 2012 16:25

MrRon - 22 April 2012 11:29 AM

Oh, and let’s not forget the Ancient Aliens shows, UFO shows, crop circle shows, etc. For those, like my sister, who have a desire to have their “fantasies” validated, The History Channel is the perfect vehicle for confirmation bias. I’m really starting to dislike that channel.

The History Channel mocks history as Fox News mocks journalism.  It’s crap and , like religion, preys upon the human fascination of fear and mystery.

Read a history book instead.  They are properly edited and fact checked.  Usually.  And no matter what, use your critical thinking skills and avoid thinking, “They wouldn’t write or report something if it wasn’t true.”

MrRon

MrRon
Total Posts:  1499
Joined  14-08-2008

01 September 2012 21:06

I was taking note the other day that Pawn Stars, and now Cajun Pawn Stars, dominates the lineup. Pathetic.

Ron

eudemonia

eudemonia
Total Posts:  9031
Joined  05-04-2008

04 September 2012 17:08

The concepts of supernatural, paranormal and metaphysical sell better than the natural, normal and physical.

People want to be entertained not taught.

Shame.