1 2 3 >  Last ›

The Klein Bottle

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  5406
Joined  22-02-2005

21 June 2016 10:02

Welcome to The Klein Bottle.

This thread premiers the latest in Jar Management where we are always working to improve your forum experience.

Unlike its predecessors The Dump and The Jar, this thread will not be a single-seat dunk tank. Instead, just who is in the jar and who is poking the stick is a matter of perception. To engage The Klein Bottle is to be in The Klein Bottle from other perspectives.

This will be the new home of Thread Derailments, Flameouts, Pissing Contests and General Rowdy Behavior. There will be two ways to get here… Deliberately and not. Posters can freely elect to engage in some jar-like action here.

Any engagements deemed as a few notches below our standard decorum will be moved here. This way, thoughtful posters and thread-starters can freely elect to engage in sidebars or other distractions here. Troubled posters may find themselves wholly redirected. All requests for JM intervention will be heard. This is offered as an alternative to deletions and banning. Workplace-friendly posting is still required. The Guidelines are relaxed but not rescinded.

This thread is for posters with full member status. Newbies and Junior Members must first post one hundred admirable examples of civility before joining the fray.

[ Edited: 22 June 2016 06:15 by Nhoj Morley]

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  840
Joined  31-10-2015

22 June 2016 07:59

Magda - 22 June 2016 07:27 AM

(. . . look, you’ve already started having a go instead of thinking it through and being pleasant to the losing side!). This is no place for a sensitive soul or indeed a female that would like to be treated differently to the boys (sorry folks, but I really would like to be treated nicely, I know that doesn’t fit in with the whole “well they want equality, we’ll give it to them!”  thing, my bad).

My rudenesses to you over the years have been of an entirely different category than your rudenesses toward me, Magda. In fact, I’d love it if you could cite a single example of me being rude to you, ever.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

22 June 2016 08:34

Here we go with our first entry.

This is not a disciplinary action.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

22 June 2016 08:36

No black marks for anyone here.

When we glean a message as “Let’s you and me take this outside”, this thread will be the outside.

Magda

Magda
Total Posts:  629
Joined  01-12-2014

22 June 2016 11:01

nonverbal - 22 June 2016 07:59 AM
Magda - 22 June 2016 07:27 AM

(. . . look, you’ve already started having a go instead of thinking it through and being pleasant to the losing side!). This is no place for a sensitive soul or indeed a female that would like to be treated differently to the boys (sorry folks, but I really would like to be treated nicely, I know that doesn’t fit in with the whole “well they want equality, we’ll give it to them!”  thing, my bad).

My rudenesses to you over the years have been of an entirely different category than your rudenesses toward me, Magda. In fact, I’d love it if you could cite a single example of me being rude to you, ever.

Well yes, actually, earlier today when you decided to post about roads running out after my only post thus far about The Mario Situation instead of just letting me have my say.  Like I said it would have cost you nothing to step back and see the bigger picture instead of bowling in.  In fact you may have gained from the experience. I realise that there are cultural differences between us (Americans v The English) and we each have our unique ways of dealing with stuff.  Its also typical of this forum for people, not just you, to go in all guns blazing. Perhaps insensitive would be a better way of describing how I perceived your reply rather than rude.

Other than that there was an incident in the Jar fairly recently when I surprised by a reaction from you - I forget the details and I have no way of finding it so its not going to stand up in the courtroom of the Sam Harris Forum - but I remember being disappointed as I had always thought well of you.  I haven’t forgotten that you were one of the few people that commented or replied to my posts during my early experiences here which was nice. You seemed kind and that’s how I have always seen you. And of course you were one of the people, if my memory serves me, that suggested I stay away from the Dump and,  although misguided, your heart was in the right place. All the more reason to feel the sting of the sharp slap you gave me in the Jar recently and the one you gave me today.

I wish you well and I’m sorry if I have upset you in the past.

[ Edited: 22 June 2016 11:03 by Magda]

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

22 June 2016 11:06

My apologies, Magda.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

22 June 2016 11:22

That was a fine start. Patrons can be kind and understanding in The Klein Bottle. No rules against it.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19784
Joined  20-07-2007

22 June 2016 13:12

Nhoj Morley - 22 June 2016 11:22 AM

That was a fine start. Patrons can be kind and understanding in The Klein Bottle. No rules against it.

Damned it, Nhoj, you crashed my popcorn sales!

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

22 June 2016 14:17

Nhoj Morley - 22 June 2016 11:22 AM

I like the name of this thread, Nhoj. Before googling the term, I assumed it meant “small bottle.” But it didn’t sound grammatical to me, so I googled it and now see that a klein bottle is not necessarily small, but certainly mechanically interesting. As usual, you and Martin seem to be on to something.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19784
Joined  20-07-2007

22 June 2016 14:31

Klein bottle
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A two-dimensional representation of the Klein bottle immersed in three-dimensional space

Structure of a three-dimensional Klein bottle
In mathematics, the Klein bottle /?kla?n/ is an example of a non-orientable surface; it is a two-dimensional manifold against which a system for determining a normal vector cannot be consistently defined. Informally, it is a one-sided surface which, if traveled upon, could be followed back to the point of origin while flipping the traveler upside down. Other related non-orientable objects include the Möbius strip and the real projective plane. Whereas a Möbius strip is a surface with boundary, a Klein bottle has no boundary (for comparison, a sphere is an orientable surface with no boundary).

The Klein bottle was first described in 1882 by the German mathematician Felix Klein. It may have been originally named the Kleinsche Fläche (“Klein surface”) and then misinterpreted as Kleinsche Flasche (“Klein bottle”), which ultimately led to the adoption of this term in the German language as well.[1]

Damned admins getting all intellectual!

Poldano

Poldano
Total Posts:  3145
Joined  26-01-2010

22 June 2016 20:44

Klein bottles don’t exclude anything, which I think is the point of the name.

On the other hand, they can’t really contain anything either, except perhaps by twists and turns that are too tortuous to navigate around.

They’re one of my favorite abstract things. I’m pleased as punch that the name is being used.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  14423
Joined  17-12-2006

22 June 2016 23:12

Poldano - 22 June 2016 08:44 PM

Klein bottles don’t exclude anything, which I think is the point of the name.

On the other hand, they can’t really contain anything either, except perhaps by twists and turns that are too tortuous to navigate around.

They’re one of my favorite abstract things. I’m pleased as punch that the name is being used.

One dimension up from a Mobius strip. Don’t try to drink beer from them. Or Klein, for that matter.

21stCenturyIconoclast

21stCenturyIconoclast
Total Posts:  253
Joined  18-04-2016

23 June 2016 09:07

Poldano, ol’ buddy,

You’re correct, I can’t challenge you on biblical precepts because as a fact, you keep running from my posts to you in this respect!  I have lost count over the past week in how many times you had to run and remain silent relative to embarrassing biblical axioms. You are really taking this biblical verse to heart: “Even fools are thought wise if they keep silent, and discerning if they hold their tongues.”  (Proverbs 17:28)

YOUR QUOTE: “You do have a choice, and you know it. You can stop posting. I’m not standing in your way.”

I can see through your plea to me above that you’re frustrated and uneasy in being a Catholic, let alone any other “division” of Christianity. This seemingly is because you can’t handle those disturbing, disgusting, and brutal narratives that I bring forth regarding your serial killer Jesus, and that DO NOT need any convenient interpretation from its literal meaning whatsoever. Therefore, you want me to stop posting them even though they’re a part of your primitive faith and that you’re embarrassed about them. What’s wrong with this picture? Have you heard the adage that you can’t have your cake and eat it too? Sure you have.

Your gobbledegook gibberish, pie in the sky treatise in you trying to rewrite your faith is comical to say the least. Through your anachronisms you try in vain once again to align Christianity with todays knowledge and science acceptances back into it’s primitive past of the biblical era, where its early followers thought the earth was flat, had four corners, and where it was the center of the universe. In essence, your Yahweh god was no smarter than his creation, get it? Huh?  Conversely, you know exactly where these biblical notions are within the scriptures.  This fallacious act of yours is two mutually exclusive areas of your Christianity that people like you have been trying to align in recent times to have a modicum of respect for your primitive faith. Trust me, it will NEVER work because the Christian cards are a given and are to be dealt accordingly in the 21st century!

With the above being said, the obvious question has to be asked, and that is, when are you bringing out the POLDANO THIRD TESTAMENT to enlighten millions upon millions of pseudo-christians throughout the world with yet another rewrite of their faith, where you posit that they’ve been wrong all these years according to you?

Facetiously, if you do bring out a Third Testament in the future, can I get a signed copy and maybe a photo op? Like I stated before, I like to keep abreast of the latest apologetics, hermeneutics, and metaphysics pertaining to your faith where it keeps the flock feeding at the trough of Christianity at the expense of rational and logical thinking. Case in point, your current treatise where you’ve stripped your faith bare where there is absolutely nothing left of it!!!.  Just leave it behind in the BCE where it belongs alongside those other primitive beliefs that you deny in having any credence?  Oh, the irony!

Poldano, seriously, I’ve NEVER seen a pseudo-christian other than you, that is so guilty of this following passage, to wit:  “For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.” (2 Timothy 4:3)

In closing, with your modus operandi displayed herein, this picture below has to look like your personal Catholic bible. I am sure that your mythical Jesus is not smiling. :(

Image Attachments

3_Jefferson_Source_Bible_web.jpg

21stCenturyIconoclast

21stCenturyIconoclast
Total Posts:  253
Joined  18-04-2016

23 June 2016 10:03

OMG, Saralynn, another Burger King Christian, where they want their bible “their way, instead of Yahweh/Jesus’ way” has once again returned, and this time to try and help out their fellow pseudo-christian Poldano.  Seemingly, she even senses that he needs help post haste, whereas, Miss Saralynn is only digging Poldano’s hole deeper for him. lol

SARALYNN QUOTE: “What I shall comment upon and what you might find of interest is that we are having a bit of a problem interpreting various passages from the Bible because we all bring different translations of The Good Book.”

DEFINITION: How do I remove, and remain intelligent looking afterwards, those terrible horrific bible narratives that show our Jesus as god incarnate, or the son of Yaweh, being a brutal and sadistic serial killer throughout the scriptures no matter what rewritten bible we’re using!

SARALYNN QUOTE: “The result is that when we all turn to a specific passage, we can’t quite figure out if we are reading the same material because the words have been rewritten/reinterpreted in different ways.”

RESPONSE: “No further questions, your honor, the prosecution rests by the witness of the defense admitting that because the Poldanos of Christianity have rewritten the bible so many times, that they just don’t know where to start anymore.  Hint: What Yahweh/Jesus said ONCE, they did not mean for the pseudo-christian to take in many different and contradicting ways, get it?

SARALYNN QUOTE: “I could be like Mr. Iconoclast and figuratively smash their faces into their Bibles by pointing out the lunacy of a literal interpretation of a book that has been rewritten and edited by people down through the ages and within different cultures.”

RESPONSE: Self-explanatory to the embarrassment of the witness, no further questions your honor.

SARALYNN QUOTE: “I mean, if there was a tropical version of the Bible, I think the “loaves of bread” that were multiplied by Jesus might have been changed to “bananas” 

RESPONSE: The prosecution calls our psychologist in response to Miss Saralynn’s testimony that shows her to be embarrassingly incoherent and mentally stressed relative to her vain attempts to defend her faith.  If the defense calls for a mistrial because of this revealing fact, I will appeal their action post haste!

SARALYNN QUOTE: “He called me a pseudo-Christian, as well. Apparently, if one approves of any aspect of Christianity or finds inspiration in some biblical passages, we are considered heretics”

RESPONSE: “Your honor, may I approach the bench with the defense?  Judge, the witness Saralynn is stepping all over her bible and not making any sense whatsoever. For comedy relief, I want to bring up Poldano to show the jury in just how deep a hole the pseudo-christian can dig in trying to defend their Bronze and Iron Age cult, is this okay?

Thank you Saralynn for helping me prove what Christianity can do to the mind-set of its believers subsequent to swallowing your division of the faith’s Kool Aid, and where you want to proselytize this ruse to others so they too can be like you. 

Priceless.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

23 June 2016 12:43

Dave’s Obituary—TheBrotherMario (c 2010 - 2016)

Mario sometimes bragged about what a kind, hard-working, loving, wealthy, caring and sacrificing family man he was. Ever sincere, Mario encapsulated—to a remarkable degree—ancient, pre-Vatican II attitude/methodology. It’s a violent or at least habitually aggressive approach, which used to result in young boys being castrated for their soprano tones, molested, and mentally twisted up into knots. Mario balked at professional membership with the Roman Catholics. Bravo to him for that!

Catholic aggression is equivalent to magical tricks being performed by charlatans. Such aggression intimidates rather than impresses, but it accomplished much the same thing. Pre-Vatican 2 put most con artists to shame, and TheBrotherMario seemed all about that ilk. Many or even most of the brothers, priests, bishops, and child molesters he interacted with—and took serious lessons from—were, no doubt, pre-Vatican 2 at heart, even if time frames didn’t match up. I also don’t doubt that every one of these men managed to compartmentalize away much of the 1960’s revolutionary Papal authority just as assuredly as Mario obviously failed to do right up to his end. However, Mario, to his credit, refused to professionally sign up even if he never managed to shed some of the vilest ancient central tenets. Again—Bravo!

Fortunately for the current world in general, Mario’s pre-Vatican 2 visions are as dead-on-the-vine as his cursing-preacher forum persona now is, due entirely to the Internet quickly connecting desperately considered questions to frank and honest answers, with many such answers typically being entirely competent. For this reason, my childhood will never be repeated until a crucially important centre somewhere in the world fails to hold.

Nighty-night, Mario. I must admit that I’ve always liked you, though such an admission can’t possibly matter to you now. You’re gone, after all. Thank Goddess. I do wish your perhaps unintended humor throughout your storied career here could have been appreciated by more than just a handful of forum participants.

[I hope I’m okay jumping right into this thread rather than counting on the moderators moving my controversial posts here. I trust they’ll let me know how to post this sort of stuff, including when I find myself responding to being aggressively scrutinized by someone.]

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  5431
Joined  31-01-2012

23 June 2016 16:00

What an awesome idea. Although I googled Klein Bottle and by the third sentence I understood so little of what I just read that I farted and walked away. Still, I love the idea. Kudos Nhoj and Mart as you guys continue to moderate with competence and style.

1 2 3 >  Last ›