1 2 3 >  Last ›

Struggling to find a silver lining

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  5897
Joined  22-02-2014

09 November 2016 07:47

- The cost of college has become untenable.
- Washington really HAS rigged the game for decades now.
- We saw an uprising (of sorts) yesterday, if we can survive it, perhaps there’s hope that we can unrig the game…

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  778
Joined  01-11-2014

09 November 2016 07:52

I don’t think there is a silver lining.

Image Attachments

Statue_of_Liberty.JPG

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  5520
Joined  22-02-2005

09 November 2016 08:02

Those maniacs who blew it up are back in town so give it up for Trumpland

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  6094
Joined  15-05-2009

09 November 2016 11:49

icehorse - 09 November 2016 07:47 AM

- We saw an uprising (of sorts) yesterday, if we can survive it, perhaps there’s hope that we can unrig the game…

How is Trump going to bring down the cost of college?
Trump took advantage of the rigging, which is why he never handed over his tax documents.
How will having Newt Gingrich and Chris Christie at higher levels of government unrig anything?

But yeah, after the wall is built, all the unemployed in the Rust Belt will have plenty of jobs waiting for them as migrant farm workers and housekeepers.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  5897
Joined  22-02-2014

09 November 2016 11:52

hannahtoo - 09 November 2016 11:49 AM

Trump took advantage of the rigging, which is why he never handed over his tax documents.
How will having Newt Gingrich and Chris Christie at higher levels of government unrig anything?

But yeah, after the wall is built, all the unemployed in the Rust Belt will have plenty of jobs waiting for them as migrant farm workers and housekeepers.

Hey Hannah,

Again, I’m trying to find a silver lining. I’m wondering whether trump has sparked a peaceful revolution? clearly he’s not going to fix anything, but perhaps he’s awakened a sleeping bear, and we can get some change from the grass roots. I’m not claiming this is going to happen, just trying to make the best of the situation.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  4517
Joined  28-05-2009

09 November 2016 11:55

The lack of Ted Cruz is the only thing that comes to mind.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Joined  15-05-2009

09 November 2016 12:08

icehorse - 09 November 2016 11:52 AM
hannahtoo - 09 November 2016 11:49 AM

Hey Hannah,

Again, I’m trying to find a silver lining. I’m wondering whether trump has sparked a peaceful revolution? clearly he’s not going to fix anything, but perhaps he’s awakened a sleeping bear, and we can get some change from the grass roots. I’m not claiming this is going to happen, just trying to make the best of the situation.

I think the only silver lining might be the Republicans getting trounced as the pendulum swings back toward progressive in 2020.  In reality, I feel Clinton’s presidency would have been hamstringed by continual investigations.  So that situation would have been super frustrating too.  Again, I’m just hoping Trump doesn’t start WWIII with his big mouth.  He has no appreciation for the horrors of war (how he could bring up in a speech to vets that he is “financially brave” is just mind-boggling.)

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  8646
Joined  20-10-2006

09 November 2016 13:30

The Republicans have two years until the mid-term elections to begin delivery of their promises.

1. Repeal Obamacare
2. Outlaw abortion
3. Ban Islam but give more religious freedom and protection to Christianity
4. Stop illegal immigration and deport those here
5. Defeat ISIS and turn the Mideast into a pro-USA democratic republic
6. Put their God back into schools and government
7. Reform welfare, food stamps, Medicare, and Social Security so those beneficiaries get a job
8. Return factory jobs from abroad to the Midwest
9. Outlaw gay marriage
10. Ignore science and accelerate climate change
11. Severely reduce taxes
12. Bomb North Korea

https://youtu.be/oqZaQKskP-A

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19785
Joined  20-07-2007

09 November 2016 13:32

Skipshot - 09 November 2016 01:30 PM

The Republicans have two years until the mid-term elections to begin delivery of their promises.

1. Repeal Obamacare
2. Outlaw abortion
3. Ban Islam but give more religious freedom and protection to Christianity
4. Stop illegal immigration and deport those here
5. Defeat ISIS and turn the Mideast into a pro-USA democratic republic
6. Put their God back into schools and government
7. Reform welfare, food stamps, Medicare, and Social Security so those beneficiaries get a job
8. Return factory jobs from abroad to the Midwest
9. Outlaw gay marriage
10. Ignore science and accelerate climate change
11. Severely reduce taxes
12. Bomb North Korea

https://youtu.be/oqZaQKskP-A

So what’s not to be happy about?

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  5948
Joined  08-12-2006

09 November 2016 14:53

Hillary spent twice as much on her campaign as Trump did on his. Money didn’t determine the outcome of this race. That’s the second time it’s happened in recent memory, the first being California governor Jerry Brown’s victory over Meg Whitman despite being outspent like, five to one. So maybe Citizens United isn’t the end of our democracy after all.

LauraG

LauraG
Total Posts:  245
Joined  17-05-2016

09 November 2016 16:04

This was a really hard day for me - one of the worst in my 55 years in fact. Yep, it’s really that bad.

That said, as horrific a thought as a President Trump is…..I thought of a few good things that have resulted and/or may result from this.

1. The underbelly of racist America was exposed as plain as the eye can see (certainly not all Trump supporters are sexist bigots, but I have no doubt that every sexist bigot is a Trump supporter). It reminds us that the liberal battles fought and won can never be taken for granted and we need to continually fight to uphold them.

2. From the numbers I’ve seen, young people under 30 overwhelmingly reject Trumpism. It doesn’t mean they were all pro-Clinton certainly, but they are more liberal minded than older generations. This gives me hope for the future.

....to be continued….since I’m on my way to an anti-Trump rally at Trump Tower in downtown Chicago. Wish me luck. wink.....

Update: the rally was incredible - thousands & thousands of people - mostly very young under 25 or 30. I marched with the group for many blocks, and then got off the street on the sidewalk near Trump Tower and ended up chatting with a guy around my age. I asked if he had ever seen anything like this after a presidential election in his adult lifetime.  He said no. Help me out people - has there ever been any protest outcry of this magnitude after an election in the past 40 years? If so, I can’t think of one.

In the meantime, I thought of a few more “silver linings.”

3. One of the hardest aspects of this election for me personally was the level of vitriol lobbed at Clinton. I believe the level of viciousness (which to me had clear misogynistic overtones) was unparalleled against a female public figure. For example, the chants at Trump rallys such as “Trump that bitch,” “assassinate that bitch,” and “lock her up.” I actually watched many Trump rallys on youtube and I swear - every attack against Clinton felt like a dagger to *my* female heart. Because for me, she symbolizes the strong feminist women of her generation who basically had to endure tremendous sexism, opposition and abuse her entire life. Can you imagine how that would have been amped up even more had she been elected? It makes me shudder.

So part of me is grateful that since she will retreat somewhat from the glaring spotlight, I won’t have to witness those constant attacks against this woman whom I have deep respect for. And, maybe, just maybe - some part of her psyche is relieved she won’t have to either (at least a lesser amount).

[ Edited: 09 November 2016 18:47 by LauraG]

MrRon

MrRon
Total Posts:  1500
Joined  14-08-2008

09 November 2016 16:22

Silver lining? Well, Alec Baldwin will be quite busy for the next 4 years.

Ron

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Joined  15-05-2009

09 November 2016 16:27

Trump will be appearing in federal civil court to face a fraud charge in regards to Trump University later this month.  Maybe we’ll end up with Pence as pres.

Lausten

Lausten
Total Posts:  268
Joined  12-09-2016

09 November 2016 16:31

Silver lining: Maybe people will start listening to people like Sam.

I’m in the land of Michael Moore. Flyover country. He called this better than anybody. Maybe people will start listening to us. You’re probably not going to get a logical conversation going with the actual Trump voters, but we are their neighbors, family and co-workers.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  778
Joined  01-11-2014

09 November 2016 17:16

Lausten - 09 November 2016 04:31 PM

Silver lining: Maybe people will start listening to people like Sam.

I’m in the land of Michael Moore. Flyover country. He called this better than anybody. Maybe people will start listening to us. You’re probably not going to get a logical conversation going with the actual Trump voters, but we are their neighbors, family and co-workers.

My wife sent me a link to Michael Moore’s blog today. Moore had predicted the outcome of this election weeks ago.

I think he’s right on the money with his explanations, especially with his first point concerning the states of the “Rust Belt”.

http://michaelmoore.com/trumpwillwin/

GreenInferno

GreenInferno
Total Posts:  101
Joined  20-09-2012

10 November 2016 01:56

The silver lining is that a filthy Clinton was kept out - however Trump is so far unproven, so who knows?

1 2 3 >  Last ›