Asking for recommendations…

no_profundia

no_profundia
Total Posts:  358
Joined  14-07-2016

17 August 2017 21:00

There are two subjects I would very much like to find some good scholarly books on if anyone has any recommendations:

1. Non-violent protest. I would be interested in learning more about what the theory is behind non-violent protest, but more importantly, when it works and when it might not work. There must be people studying this kind of thing but I have had a hard time finding books on the topic that treat it from this angle. I am less interested in the morality of non-violent protest and more interested in knowing under what conditions it can be effective and under what conditions it has shown itself to be ineffective (if any).

2. Theories of the media. Specifically, I am interested in any books that attempt to determine whether the media simply gives people what they want - i.e. people form their opinions independently from the media and then merely consume news sources that tell them what they already want to hear - or whether the media actually shapes opinions in a really meaningful way.

If anyone has any book recommendations that would address some of these questions I would love to hear them. Thanks!

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  8485
Joined  20-10-2006

18 August 2017 15:50

Coincidently, in the latest issue of The New Yorker is an article addressing the effectiveness of non-violent protests.  I’ve not read it yet.

no_profundia

no_profundia
Joined  14-07-2016

18 August 2017 16:55

Thanks Skip. I think you are referring to this article: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/08/21/is-there-any-point-to-protesting

I read it. It was interesting. The first part was largely about some books written by Marxists and what they think the new strategies for resistance should be. When I was in graduate school I had more sympathy with Marxists like Hardt and Negri - I was studying Gilles Deleuze at the time who was a major influence on them - than I do these days.

But the discussion in the article of the book Twitter and Tear Gas by Zeynep Tufekci was quite interesting. This book seems to be in the neighborhood of what I was looking for because the author analyzes what made certain non-violent protest campaigns successful.

Thanks for the recommendation!

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5129
Joined  25-08-2009

19 August 2017 08:41

no_profundia - 17 August 2017 09:00 PM

Theories of the media. Specifically, I am interested in any books that attempt to determine whether the media simply gives people what they want - i.e. people form their opinions independently from the media and then merely consume news sources that tell them what they already want to hear - or whether the media actually shapes opinions in a really meaningful way.

If anyone has any book recommendations that would address some of these questions I would love to hear them. Thanks!

“Losing the News” by Alex Jones

no_profundia

no_profundia
Joined  14-07-2016

19 August 2017 08:48

jdrnd - 19 August 2017 08:41 AM
no_profundia - 17 August 2017 09:00 PM

Theories of the media. Specifically, I am interested in any books that attempt to determine whether the media simply gives people what they want - i.e. people form their opinions independently from the media and then merely consume news sources that tell them what they already want to hear - or whether the media actually shapes opinions in a really meaningful way.

“Losing the News” by Alex Jones

I’m glad I looked this one up. When I saw “Alex Jones” I thought this might be a book about how we are “losing the news” to lizard people or something but this is obviously a different Alex Jones. Thanks for the recommendation!