Quantum and Normal Reality

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  7256
Joined  20-02-2006

11 September 2017 11:38

I was saying in another topic that the human brain didn’t evolve to apprehend quantum reality.  That doesn’t mean, however, that I think we don’t suspect that something inexplicable is going on at the molecular, atomic, or particle/energy level.  From what I’ve read by anthropologists, it seems likely that since Day One primitive people gave life, (or spirit), to rocks, trees, rivers, lakes and forests.

Then again, a thousand years ago Zen master Yuansou said, “The mountains, rivers, earth, grasses, trees, and forests, [ordinary reality?], are always emanating a subtle, precious light, day and night, always emanating a subtle, precious sound, demonstrating and expounding to all people the unsurpassed ultimate truth.”

Now scientists tell us that matter, our bodies for example, are composed of atoms, and that within each atom there is mostly empty space (99.9% empty space?), and that within each atom particles are moving at near the speed of light etc. 

So we surmise that within this inexplicable event we call ‘me’ there is consciousness . . . self consciousness . . . “Cogito ergo sum . . . je pense, donc je suis . . . I think, therefore I am.”  -  (Rene Decartes)

Even at the level of understanding we did evolve with, when in human history did it dawn on people that two microscopic cells, each consisting of billions or trillions of atoms - mostly empty space -  could join together and grow into a new human being? 

Is it any wonder that so many made-up stories have been written to try and explain what’s going on?  Any wonder that supernatural explanations are so easy to foist on children?

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  755
Joined  01-11-2014

11 September 2017 18:42

So very many people think science is “boring.” Perhaps it’s because they had poor science teachers in high school, or they are intimidated by the entire subject. They think it’s dry, dull, full of facts and mathematics they don’t understand.

But I find, if you look at science at it’s extreme edges, from cosmology to quantum mechanics, the entire universe is utterly and totally fantastic. Then, if you throw life and consciousness into the mix, it gets even more amazing.

“Is it any wonder that so many made-up stories have been written to try and explain what’s going on?  Any wonder that supernatural explanations are so easy to foist on children?”

Nope. Not surprising in the least.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

12 September 2017 10:35

Cheshire Cat - 11 September 2017 06:42 PM

So very many people think science is “boring.” Perhaps it’s because they had poor science teachers in high school, or they are intimidated by the entire subject. They think it’s dry, dull, full of facts and mathematics they don’t understand.

But I find, if you look at science at it’s extreme edges, from cosmology to quantum mechanics, the entire universe is utterly and totally fantastic. Then, if you throw life and consciousness into the mix, it gets even more amazing.

“Is it any wonder that so many made-up stories have been written to try and explain what’s going on?  Any wonder that supernatural explanations are so easy to foist on children?”

Interesting to read about quantum computing in a 2011 New Yorker article - https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2011/05/02/dream-machine

Then in this week’s news - https://mybroadband.co.za/news/science/228477-scientists-make-major-breakthrough-in-quantum-computing.html

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

14 September 2017 10:07

Cheshire Cat - 11 September 2017 06:42 PM

“The hunger of the elements to become life.” - Loren Eisely http://www.thedailybeast.com/loren-eiseley-the-science-writer-our-planet-needs-now

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/evolution/origins-life.html

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

17 September 2017 11:25

socratus

socratus
Total Posts:  155
Joined  28-05-2015

26 October 2017 03:39

unsmoked - 11 September 2017 11:38 AM

Even at the level of understanding we did evolve with, when in human history did it dawn on people
that two microscopic cells, each consisting of billions or trillions of atoms - mostly empty space -
could join together and grow into a new human being? 

Is it any wonder that so many made-up stories have been written to try and explain what’s going on?
Any wonder that supernatural explanations are so easy to foist on children?

And the infinite monkey theorem states that a monkey hitting keys
at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time
will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works
of William Shakespeare.
The probability of a monkey exactly typing a complete work such
as Shakespeare’s Hamlet is so tiny that the chance of it occurring
during a period of time of the order of the age of the universe
is extremely low, but not zero.
. . . . .
If there are as many monkeys as there are particles in the
observable universe . . . . the probability of the monkeys replicating
even a short book is nearly zero.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem

It means that by quantum randomness it is impossible to create
Intellect Existence during 13 - 15 billions of years after ‘big bang’.
===========================

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

26 October 2017 10:06

Speaking of probabilities, notice how easy it is to write a simple sentence that probably has never been written before. 

For example:  “My computer screen has the words ‘SAM HARRIS’ on the top left, and on the right, the word ‘SUPPORT’ - appearing in white letters in a red block.” 

If you copy the above sentence, you’ll be the second person in the history of the world to have written that.

socratus

socratus
Total Posts:  155
Joined  28-05-2015

28 October 2017 04:13

unsmoked - 11 September 2017 11:38 AM

I was saying in another topic that the human brain didn’t evolve to apprehend quantum reality.

Quantum Reality as real as and Normal / Classical Reality.
But as Richard Feynman was fond of saying that
nobody understands quantum mechanics and:

The “paradox” is only a conflict between reality and
your feeling of what reality “ought to be.”
           Richard Feynman
/ volume III; lecture 18,
“Angular Momentum”; section 18-3,
“The annihilation of positronium”; p. 18-9 /

But sooner or later the human’s brain will solve this conflict.
=========================