Should Sam care about other youtubers “stealing” his content? (Society & Culture Radio on youtube)

D_fens

D_fens
Total Posts:  16
Joined  03-04-2016

11 September 2017 12:06

Hey everyone,

Lately on youtube there have been a group of, shall we say, extremely self-righteous individuals who try to shame anyone who views Sam Harris podcasts on a different youtube channel than his personal one (“Sam Harris”), namely on the “Society and Culture Radio” channel.

I’m just curious whether there is any merit to their claims? As far as I can tell, Sam Harris doesn’t make any money on his youtube videos directly, since he doesn’t run any advertisements. Rather he makes money through Patreon and similar sites that facilitate donations.

If this is the case, the claim that they are in some sense undermining Sam’s work is nonsensical, because he only stands to lose more potential Patreon supporters by limiting the exposure of his work, just like how an artist has more to lose by presenting their work at a single art gallery rather than several.

Am I missing anything? How does the community feel on this? Has Sam said anything explicitly on this topic? Most people seem to agree that he wouldn’t care, and I am inclined to agree.

[ Edited: 11 September 2017 12:11 by D_fens]

Probus

Probus
Total Posts:  206
Joined  12-07-2017

11 September 2017 12:32

D_fens - 11 September 2017 12:06 PM

Hey everyone,

Lately on youtube there have been a group of, shall we say, extremely self-righteous individuals who try to shame anyone who views Sam Harris podcasts on a different youtube channel than his personal one (“Sam Harris”), namely on the “Society and Culture Radio” channel.

I’m just curious whether there is any merit to their claims? As far as I can tell, Sam Harris doesn’t make any money on his youtube videos directly, since he doesn’t run any advertisements. Rather he makes money through Patreon and similar sites that facilitate donations.

If this is the case, the claim that they are in some sense undermining Sam’s work is nonsensical, because he only stands to lose more potential Patreon supporters by limiting the exposure of his work, just like how an artist has more to lose by presenting their work at a single art gallery rather than several.

Am I missing anything? How does the community feel on this? Has Sam said anything explicitly on this topic? Most people seem to agree that he wouldn’t care, and I am inclined to agree.

If I remember correctly, he has several times told people to share his podcasts and spread the message so to speak. In that sense, it seems like he does not care very much about people sharing his content. Personally though, I think you should always link to the original source if you share someone else’s material. I’ve realized this is rarely the case on Youtube. Many cut and edit the podcast, to make it seem like the material is their own. That makes me furious. I have also realized that there are youtubers who have specialized in re-posting other people’s material as their own. They often get much more views than the original poster, and of course monetize all their stolen content. That makes me even more furious. If you want to share other people’s material. Have the decency to acknowledge the owner, and don’t monetize material that is not your own.

Nikolai Narcisse

Nikolai Narcisse
Total Posts:  29
Joined  02-06-2017

11 September 2017 13:33

Probus - 11 September 2017 12:32 PM

If I remember correctly, he has several times told people to share his podcasts and spread the message so to speak. In that sense, it seems like he does not care very much about people sharing his content. Personally though, I think you should always link to the original source if you share someone else’s material. I’ve realized this is rarely the case on Youtube. Many cut and edit the podcast, to make it seem like the material is their own. That makes me furious. I have also realized that there are youtubers who have specialized in re-posting other people’s material as their own. They often get much more views than the original poster, and of course monetize all their stolen content. That makes me even more furious. If you want to share other people’s material. Have the decency to acknowledge the owner, and don’t monetize material that is not your own.

This right here. Put yourself in the shoes of somebody who creates content for (theoretically) a living. People who do not give full credit or provide links to the materials origins are absolutely stealing from the creator. I would love to know why people seem to think that having access to the internet entitles them to steal from other people, especially when the phrase “You’re not entitled to the labor of other people” is so popular in recent years (not that I am accusing anybody here, mind you). Sure, Sam does not appear to make any revenue from the Youtube videos of his podcast episodes (due to the lack of advertising) but that still doesn’t justify what Probus described above.

[ Edited: 11 September 2017 13:37 by Nikolai Narcisse]

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  5420
Joined  22-02-2005

11 September 2017 18:35

There is no admission price so there is no preferred venue. Podcast patrons are encouraged to provide support via voluntary donations if not too dear. Only the AMA podcasts are exclusive for donors.

Other claims of officialness are bogus. This is the site The Boss pays for.

D_fens

D_fens
Total Posts:  16
Joined  03-04-2016

19 September 2017 12:49

Nikolai Narcisse - 11 September 2017 01:33 PM
Probus - 11 September 2017 12:32 PM

This right here. Put yourself in the shoes of somebody who creates content for (theoretically) a living. People who do not give full credit or provide links to the materials origins are absolutely stealing from the creator. I would love to know why people seem to think that having access to the internet entitles them to steal from other people, especially when the phrase “You’re not entitled to the labor of other people” is so popular in recent years (not that I am accusing anybody here, mind you). Sure, Sam does not appear to make any revenue from the Youtube videos of his podcast episodes (due to the lack of advertising) but that still doesn’t justify what Probus described above.

Sure, but in this case - specifically the society and culture radio channel - not only do they give links to Sam Harris’ website, twitter, and so on, but its also overwhelmingly obvious given that it is Sam Harris who is speaking, and he introduces himself in every podcast. So I don’t understand the claim that anyone is stealing his content and making it their own, because its impossible to do that if the person giving the podcast explicitly says (paraphrasing) “Welcome to the Waking Up podcast, I am Sam Harris, If you wish to support the podcast, you can do so on Patreon or make donations through my website (etc.)”. If anything you are broadcasting Sam’s message to a wider audience.

The only way your argument makes sense is if the person actually edits the video to remove Sam’s voice, and then grafts in some audio saying “this is Ted Johnson’s podcast. If you want to support my conversations, send money to to my Patreon!!”. Of course that person would also have to have a very similar voice to Sam’s. Anyway, that clearly isn’t happening.

With respect to monetizing content that isn’t yours - I can understand your argument if Sam were running ads, such that they would end up taking Sam’s money for their own, but in this case he isn’t. He makes his money through donations. So when other people are monetizing his content, he isn’t losing any of that money - he never would have gained it to begin with. So not only are they not stealing his message, but they aren’t taking any of his money either. Given that he wants his podcasts to be shared freely (with attribution), I imagine he also wouldn’t care whether they freely make money based on his podcast either. If he did he would say otherwise.

Given that there is no actual argument here…I hope people stop trying to shame others. But maybe I’m trying to appeal to deeply irrational people in the first place in which case the effort is futile

[ Edited: 19 September 2017 12:55 by D_fens]