< 1 2

Conspicuous and flagrant wealth vs secretive and embarrassed wealth

EN

EN
Total Posts:  19093
Joined  11-03-2007

13 September 2017 16:05

In defense of the rich, Bill & Melinda Gates, Warren Buffet, and Michael Dell are all billionaires who give away a butt load of money to worthy causes, as well as pay taxes. There are lots of others.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  15631
Joined  15-02-2008

13 September 2017 17:19

MARTIN_UK - 13 September 2017 10:58 AM

I have hidden my wealth from you all…

Smart! Now you can pursue your evil desires without any complaining that it’s unfair.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  19093
Joined  11-03-2007

13 September 2017 17:39

The North Koreans, Russians, and Chinese know about it, however, and at the appropriate time ......

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  5431
Joined  31-01-2012

13 September 2017 18:13

The key, so far as I can tell, is to live within your means. And don’t “show” money. Which is code for trying to hide it from the tax man through fancy pants trusts, LLC’s, Pc’s, and tax deferred charitable donations. It’s all legal. And under Trump it’ll become a lot more legal. Keep in mind, he’s only the advertisement of wealth. His tactics and thoughts have nothing to do with making money, only using it to buttress his failures. The real money just wants to embolden him to cut UCC and Tax regs.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  5980
Joined  15-02-2007

13 September 2017 19:30

Thanks for the express-post parcel, Mart!

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  7128
Joined  20-02-2006

14 September 2017 10:50

The reason Houston can’t clean up their hazardous waste sites is because:

a)  Texas is a poor state and can’t afford it

b)  The technology to deal with it doesn’t exist

c)  There’s too many of them so why bother

e)  There are more important things to spend tax revenue on - like a $600 billion annual defense budget - more than all other countries combined.

f)  The corporations that left those toxins went bankrupt and all their CEO’s and wealthy shareholders are not responsible - instead, they are electing people who will lower their taxes

g)

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/31/us/houston-contaminated-floodwaters.html?mcubz=1

quote:  “Houston’s had problems with their sewer system in the past. They already had cracks and leaks that were allowing storm water to get into the sewers,” said Erin Bonney Casey, research director at Bluefield Research, a water-sector consultancy based in Boston.

“When it rains, the sewer pipes get infiltrated with storm water. The pipes exceed their capacity and you get discharge of a mix of sewer water and storm water,” she said. “As you can imagine, this raises major concerns around disease and contamination of local water supplies.”

[ Edited: 14 September 2017 10:53 by unsmoked]

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  5861
Joined  15-05-2009

14 September 2017 11:39

There’s always the chance, slim as it might be, that a disaster will trigger improvements.  It has to be dealt with soon, however, or it will fade from memory.

In my town, we’ve been putting off dealing with storm water for years.  Every so often, a huge rainstorm or show melt will remind us how inadequate our system is, when properties get washed away along the river.  But then, the sun comes out again, new people move into town from elsewhere, and the expensive solutions are side-lined once more.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  5980
Joined  15-02-2007

15 September 2017 11:46

unsmoked - 14 September 2017 10:50 AM

The reason Houston can’t clean up their hazardous waste sites is because:

a)  Texas is a poor state and can’t afford it

b)  The technology to deal with it doesn’t exist

c)  There’s too many of them so why bother

e)  There are more important things to spend tax revenue on - like a $600 billion annual defense budget - more than all other countries combined.

f)  The corporations that left those toxins went bankrupt and all their CEO’s and wealthy shareholders are not responsible - instead, they are electing people who will lower their taxes

g)

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/31/us/houston-contaminated-floodwaters.html?mcubz=1

quote:  “Houston’s had problems with their sewer system in the past. They already had cracks and leaks that were allowing storm water to get into the sewers,” said Erin Bonney Casey, research director at Bluefield Research, a water-sector consultancy based in Boston.

“When it rains, the sewer pipes get infiltrated with storm water. The pipes exceed their capacity and you get discharge of a mix of sewer water and storm water,” she said. “As you can imagine, this raises major concerns around disease and contamination of local water supplies.”

The same sort of disaster is looming on the horizon of every O&G production facility.
If the parent/originating company does not budget for disaster cleanup or sunset cleanup and removal, the tax-payer gets to foot that bill.
If laws are passed disobliging those companies or subsequent owner companies, or umbrella shell companies from responsibility for dated and fallow equipment and sites, the taxpayer gets to foot the bill for cleanup - as companies will walk away from no-longer-profitable sites (as feduciary obligations to their share-holders, if nothing else).

How many fallow wells are there scattered across the planet that are minor ecological disasters waiting to happen, but that also don’t have a clear judicial chain of ownership or responsibility due to obsolte, shuttered or extinct originating companies?

< 1 2