1 2 3 >  Last ›

#100- Facing the Crowd A Conversation with Nicholas Christakis

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  5457
Joined  22-02-2005

09 October 2017 17:34

In this episode of the Waking Up podcast, Sam Harris speaks with Nicholas Christakis about mob behavior, moral panics, and current threats to free speech.

#100- Facing the Crowd A Conversation with Nicholas Christakis

This thread is for listeners’ comments.

Spud Boy

Spud Boy
Total Posts:  4
Joined  25-04-2017

10 October 2017 11:08

After watching the video, it’s pretty clear many of these “students” have no respect for authority, and therefore no place in an elite university. No doubt they were affirmative action admissions; as such, they feel entitled to special treatment as a result of their skin pigment. Harris and Christakis are clueless as usual to the cause of this entitlement mentality—failed liberal policies which they no doubt supported at the time. Affirmative action should never have been allowed in the first place as it conflicts with the Equal Protection clause of the Constitution. If universities want to reserve spots for poor applicants who otherwise meet the requirements of standardized tests, fine.

If we want a color blind society, then let’s start being color blind, period.

MedTex

MedTex
Total Posts:  2
Joined  05-06-2017

10 October 2017 11:25

Is this the only semi-private way to give feedback to Sam Harris?  The option of sending a “message from a reader” through the website has been removed.  I am not posting anything on Facebook or Twitter, but would like to comment.  Many thanks!

Bigot

Bigot
Total Posts:  23
Joined  17-12-2016

10 October 2017 11:27

TBH, I wish for a Ben Shapiro interview. This podcast’s guest said at one time that he doesn’t agree with a lot of what Ben Shapiro espouses. It would be interesting to hear what’s that about and the answers to that. Of course, the guest’s disagreements with Shapiro’s arguments wouldn’t necessarily be shared by Sam, I just wish he’d dug deeper and possibly mediate a talk between the two. I’m thirsty for genuine debate between palpable different yet well intended principled positions, not echo-chamber reinforcements I’ve been witnessing as of late, Sam’s podcast included.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  5457
Joined  22-02-2005

10 October 2017 11:36

MedTex - 10 October 2017 11:25 AM

Is this the only semi-private way to give feedback to Sam Harris?  The option of sending a “message from a reader” through the website has been removed.  I am not posting anything on Facebook or Twitter, but would like to comment.  Many thanks!

This forum puts podcast listeners in touch with each other. It is a chance to read what other listeners are thinking. The Boss claims to give this no attention but I suspect the temptation to peek is occasionally irresistible.

[ Edited: 10 October 2017 17:43 by Nhoj Morley]

MedTex

MedTex
Joined  05-06-2017

10 October 2017 11:39

Thank you!  I need to think about this before posting in this Forum. I appreciate the information.

AzorAhai

AzorAhai
Total Posts:  1
Joined  05-06-2017

10 October 2017 12:53

I have taken the most important part of this conversation and immortalized it.  You’re welcome Sam.

https://imgur.com/a/HOeMQ

repo

repo
Joined  10-10-2017

10 October 2017 12:55

The biggest take away I got from this podcast and watching the related video, it makes me feel that these students really do not want to have a conversation.  The middle aged white male is the worst thing in the world and there are no means to resolve.

-  There is nothing that can be said because the mob’s focus was a yale professor who was male and white.
-  The black male who approached in a confrontational stance demanding he look him in the eyes as he berated the professor he would _never_ understand.
-  He was not allowed (at least not on the video) to respond to the black female who claimed she was angry and wanted him to lose his job
-  Requiring him to apologize for fact based studies and evidence
-  It’s pathetic the wife lost her job because she suggested that an _individual_ should decide what to wear for Halloween.

These kids are duped.  They are going to Yale and have zero clue they are actually considered privileged & entitled.  It’s obvious they are heavy left leaning and were there not to have a conversation or gain a common understanding.  I would have enjoyed seeing a black conservative argue against them.  They were there to ignorantly burn the bridge (Nicholas Christakis) to finding that common humanity.  They lost out on an opportunity to have a real, deep conversation and pathway.

I would have liked for Nicholas to actually stand the ground based on the evidence. Do we apologize now for the mere suggestion an adult aged college student should have the freedom to decide what to wear?

[ Edited: 10 October 2017 13:16 by repo]

Lithopaedion

Lithopaedion
Total Posts:  5
Joined  14-10-2014

10 October 2017 13:26

I’m a pretty hard cookie when watching videos. I can watch Tarantino movies and even clips of real killings and not get uncomfortable. I have some impatience, however, with what the Germans call “Fremdschämen” - being ashamed for the embarrassment other people are feeling. I find it difficult to watch people embarrass themselves, especially when they don’t immediately realize the mistake and go on and on for a prolonged period. I turn the channel on the simplest sitcoms if the plot is based on prolonged embarrassment.

I found this video extremely difficult to watch. These babies are a pathetic, sorry bunch of folks. If this is tomorrow’s elite, then good-bye western civilization.

AndersN

AndersN
Total Posts:  6
Joined  22-01-2017

10 October 2017 13:41

Is this how life is in the campus at US colleges? Teachers being terrorised by students? Was Mr Christakis afraid of being lynched if he had spoken back to that female student verbally abusing him?
I’ll definitely not encourage my daughter to study at a US college if this is the reality.
I’m starting to see where the ‘leftish’ thought control in Sweden is coming from, its apparently from the US.

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Joined  14-09-2017

10 October 2017 13:46

What are these kids TALKING ABOUT?!  I read the email that “offended” them.  There’s absolutely nothing there - it’s just someone saying “hey, does this policy make sense?  Do we want censorship on Halloween costumes?”
And the reply is: “Racist!!!”
I really hope this is just a tiny fraction of what’s going on at universities around the country.  It does remind me of an onion article, it’s just so bizarre.  And the finger snapping!  Hilarious.

dhave

dhave
Total Posts:  197
Joined  25-09-2016

10 October 2017 17:21

Man, good podcast, I had not watched that Yale video before.  Unbelievable.  So many whiny naval-gazing spoiled babies!  Makes one tempted to join the alt-right. wink

I think the causes have been ongoing for years, more liberals in university leadership, “postmodern” views becoming part of curricula like Jordan Peterson talks about.  That’s helpful to review but I wonder if or how the situation is changing given the wide distribution and influence of podcasts like Sam’s or Joe Rogan’s or Jordan Peterson’s youtubes, etc.  I wonder if this is measurable.  I’d think those students would feel Embarassed at some point if they heard this feedback on their privileged victimhood childish nonsense.  Telling their professors they can’t possibly understand their awful oppression and are just bad people who should shut up and say they are sorry?  Gawd, I’d wanna use some expletives were I not standing in the middle of a juvenile mob!

I’d recommend starting by putting military experts in charge of universities.  Start with discipline, clear hierarchy.  Students can still have grievances but would have to voice them in a civil respectable Adult manner.  Then who knows, they might grow up.

It is discouraging to see so much polarization way down in universities in addition to our gridlocked government way up on top.

BTW, do we have any college students on this forum who’d care to contribute?  You can’t click fingers here or interrupt a speaker by screaming, but I’d love to hear more from these folks, students who are in the thick of it.  We’re a civil bunch for the most part, who knows, maybe we can have a dialogue.

Regards,
Dave.

ZZYZX

ZZYZX
Total Posts:  13
Joined  04-06-2017

10 October 2017 17:50

I too hadn’t seen the Yale video before. I was so interested in finding out more about the “Shrieking Girl” that I googled her and soon found out who she is/was (nothing recent about her) and her background. She was an affirmative action student (300 point SAT bar lowering for admission to Yale) from a family in Conneticut who were pretty wealthy. She was also a journalist at Yale who was on a committee that had recommended the hiring of Christakis.  I would say she was “drunk with power” when in that Mob setting with her lowly fellow students.

Evidently she didn’t impress too many people in the right way as it was reported soon thereafter her accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Linked-in, etc, were closed. She should be in the job market these days. I hope to spot her next time I pull up to the drive-thru window at Checkers.

Bluebird

Bluebird
Joined  10-10-2017

10 October 2017 18:08

I agree that the video was hard to watch and consequently, I didn’t watch the entire 24 minutes.  Too painful.  I really enjoyed the podcast which I listened to in its entirely. I think that Professor Christakis suffered a great injustice.  What is also shocking to me is that these attacks against free speech (and reason) are occurring on numerous campuses.  As a college student at an “elite” university in the sixties, I participated in numerous protests but they were not about OUR feelings being hurt but about the plight of others.  We protested against the war in Vietnam and the violence against blacks and their supporters in the south.  Maybe we were really concerned about being drafted or being brutalized by the police, but our social action was never articulated as being to protect ourselves from psychic injuries.  We knew we were privileged; we talked about it all the time, and I think most of us felt a little bit guilty about the lives we were leading whlle others suffered in the jungles of Vietnam or in the Jim-Crow South.  Some of the students in the video are probably on a free ride at a great elite university.  Frankly it angers me that they seem so self-absorbed, and appear to care so little about others who are not so privileged.  Any student at Yale, whether the recipient of a free ride or not, is the beneficiary of one of the greatest educations in the world.  Last year, I read that the University of Chicago sent a letter to incoming freshmen stating that Chicago would not offer “trigger warnings” and “safe spaces” to students there.  They warned their students that they would encounter ideas that would make them uncomfortable because, that is the point of college.  The “Chicago” letter received a great deal of press; some lauded it and others attacked it.  Some suggested that it was not was it seemed.  In any case, the University of Chicago seems to be on the right track.  Bravo to them!  I would hope that other universities would also notify students in advance that they can expect to encounter ideas that might jar them, scare them, or case them pain.  That is what college is about.  I fully support the university as a forum in which free speech, free thought, and the stimulation of ideas flourishes.

dhave

dhave
Total Posts:  197
Joined  25-09-2016

10 October 2017 18:54

ZZYZX - 10 October 2017 05:50 PM

I too hadn’t seen the Yale video before. I was so interested in finding out more about the “Shrieking Girl” that I googled her and soon found out who she is/was (nothing recent about her) and her background. She was an affirmative action student (300 point SAT bar lowering for admission to Yale) from a family in Conneticut who were pretty wealthy. She was also a journalist at Yale who was on a committee that had recommended the hiring of Christakis.  I would say she was “drunk with power” when in that Mob setting with her lowly fellow students.

Evidently she didn’t impress too many people in the right way as it was reported soon thereafter her accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Linked-in, etc, were closed. She should be in the job market these days. I hope to spot her next time I pull up to the drive-thru window at Checkers.

Thanks for the research.  Maybe social media is already solving the problem.  Bluebird’s note is encouraging.  I think Ben Shapiro finally spoke at Berkeley except that it cost them $600,000 for security.  But hey, Berkeley is soooo special.  (I kid, that was my school, I’ve fond memories, but that was long ago..)  Hey, Berkeley is always hitting me up for money, now I know how I can contribute to the solution!  wink

Regards,
Dave.

P. S.  Bluebird, do you have a link to the Chicago letter you mention above?

[ Edited: 10 October 2017 19:01 by dhave]

YOsteen

YOsteen
Total Posts:  3
Joined  31-08-2017

10 October 2017 19:54

ZZYZX - 10 October 2017 05:50 PM

I think we can learn a little from Christakis, who was the target of that fury and who studies crowd dynamics. He forgave her and accepted that it wasn’t likely her best moment. I hope she matures rather than fails. A vengeful perspective is what caused her delusion. Let’s not let it infect us.

1 2 3 >  Last ›