Religion + insanity = severed & microwaved hand

Billy Shears

Billy Shears
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  09-10-2006

09 January 2008 19:46

Man Cuts Off, Microwaves His Own Hand

Apparently, he thought he saw “the mark of the beast” on his hand, so he cut it off with a circular saw and microwaved it.

I think the words of the sheriff who responded sum it up nicely:

It had been somewhat cooked by the time the deputy arrived,” sheriff’s Capt. Ben Wolfinger said. “He put a tourniquet on his arm before, so he didn’t bleed to death. That kind of mental illness is just sad.

Jeanie
Total Posts:  306
Joined  24-10-2007

21 January 2008 14:56

Fabulous.  Obviously there’s mental illness going on in this case, but the story illustrates that someone would have to be as mad as a hatter to follow the bible literally.  The verses cited aren’t parables.  I don’t think Jesus was kidding around when he said to cut off your hand if it caused you to sin, etc - sounds pretty serious to me.  Just another instruction to rationalize away.

I thought microwaving gave it a nice touch.  He must have thought through the possibilities - he really didn’t want that sinful hand to be re-attached!

Billy Shears

Billy Shears
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  09-10-2006

21 January 2008 15:30

Jeanie - 21 January 2008 07:56 PM

I thought microwaving gave it a nice touch.  He must have thought through the possibilities - he really didn’t want that sinful hand to be re-attached!

Either that or he’d recently watched The Evil Dead 2.

Jeanie
Total Posts:  306
Joined  24-10-2007

21 January 2008 15:38

Groovy.