Question about Daniel Dennett’s writings

eudemonia

eudemonia
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  05-04-2008

11 April 2008 07:36

I read his ‘Breaking the Spell’ a short time back and really enjoyed it. I was thinking about his ‘Darwins Dangerous Idea’ but was wondering if it had anything really different to add. I probably should have read it first, as it is the older writing but…Breaking the Spell covers quite a bit of evolutionary psychology and some biology and memetics so, I was wondering how much it is redundant of the other offering. Thanks in advance for any insight into this. Regards, McC

eucaryote
Total Posts:  1763
Joined  20-08-2006

11 April 2008 10:32

McCreason - 11 April 2008 11:36 AM

I read his ‘Breaking the Spell’ a short time back and really enjoyed it. I was thinking about his ‘Darwins Dangerous Idea’ but was wondering if it had anything really different to add. I probably should have read it first, as it is the older writing but…Breaking the Spell covers quite a bit of evolutionary psychology and some biology and memetics so, I was wondering how much it is redundant of the other offering. Thanks in advance for any insight into this. Regards, McC

I read both. Darwins Dangerous Idea is the better though he does use the ideas developed there in Breaking the Spell. It’s a great read, more focused on the “universal acid” of the idea of evolution.

eudemonia
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  05-04-2008

11 April 2008 18:54

eucaryote

Cool name! Is your signifcant other prokaryote grinFWIW I thought they were spelled with a k not a c. Anyway, thanks for the info on Dennetts books. I think I will read ‘Darwins Dangerous Idea’ as well. Trouble is I have soooo many reads on my list!
Bact wink eria rules!!

Sven62
Total Posts:  74
Joined  08-10-2006

29 April 2008 13:30

Cellist!