Joined  05-04-2008

29 April 2008 11:31

Lapin Diabolique

Lapin Diabolique
Total Posts:  1814
Joined  10-11-2006

29 April 2008 15:42

Thomas Friggin Friedman made the cut ?

I suppose pompousness counts as intellect these days.

Dee
Total Posts:  585
Joined  11-10-2007

29 April 2008 23:55

McCreason - 29 April 2008 03:31 PM

Some may find this list interesting.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=4293

Thank you for that one Mcreason. So two atheists make the grade huh ? Goody goody !  I’ve read books by Lewis and he’s a great source of info. and knowledge about the middle East, Islam etc. He knows what he’s talking about. I also read Jared Diamond and am pleased to see he is on the list.  But Al Gore ?  Give us a break !  The guy is one of the phoniest “intellectuals ” on the face of this Earth. He’s a big ego is what he is. He’s got the whole world in a tizzy about a hot tomorrow . And I never could understand why he got so interested—-oh, don’t get me started !

Salmon Rushdee got knighted ?  How very fitting—he’s got to be some kind of hero surviving all these years

eudemonia
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  05-04-2008

30 April 2008 06:29

Personally I was glad to see Dawkins and Dennett make the list. I think they are contributing intellectually quite a bit to the world these days.

CanZen
Total Posts:  1453
Joined  22-01-2005

30 April 2008 23:22

Dee, what do you mean, “So two atheists made the grade huh?”  I can name at least 13 atheists (Chomsky, Dawkins, Dennett, Hitchens, Hirsi Ali, Diamond, Habermas, Ignatiev, Lewis, Pinker, Ramachadran, Rushdie, Singer, and E.O. Wilson).  These are people on the list that I know from reading their works, but I could readily add that all of the scientists on the list and all those from China are probably atheists.  Also, most of those from Europe are probably non-theists.  Aside from Pope Ratzinger and Charles Taylor (and perhaps Al Gore) I don’t recognize anyone else as particularly religious . . have you actually had a good look at the list?  I am willing to bet that 80 to 90 percent are non-theists.  Wake up!

Bob

Occam's Razor

Occam's Razor
Total Posts:  414
Joined  01-02-2006

30 April 2008 23:41

But Bob…Fox News says Al Gore is bad. Who can argue with logic like that?

Dee
Total Posts:  585
Joined  11-10-2007

02 May 2008 00:23

CanZen - 01 May 2008 03:22 AM

Dee, what do you mean, “So two atheists made the grade huh?”  I can name at least 13 atheists (Chomsky, Dawkins, Dennett, Hitchens, Hirsi Ali, Diamond, Habermas, Ignatiev, Lewis, Pinker, Ramachadran, Rushdie, Singer, and E.O. Wilson).  These are people on the list that I know from reading their works, but I could readily add that all of the scientists on the list and all those from China are probably atheists.  Also, most of those from Europe are probably non-theists.  Aside from Pope Ratzinger and Charles Taylor (and perhaps Al Gore) I don’t recognize anyone else as particularly religious . . have you actually had a good look at the list?  I am willing to bet that 80 to 90 percent are non-theists.  Wake up!

Bob

WOW !  I have “AWAKED “!!!  Must you be so hard on me ?  I believe you ! If what you say is true, and I’m sure you know what you are talking about, I am delighted. Maybe intellectuals are becoming smarter ! Ha ha ha ha- oh—-sorry !  It’s the “How to live a better life by knowing God ” writers that are sickening and I’d hate to see them on an “intellectuals” list.

zelzo
Total Posts:  1639
Joined  20-12-2007

03 May 2008 14:22

I was glad to see “Sam” Powers.  She is very knowledgeable and intelligent.  Unfortunately, Obama had to “can” her after her “monster” remark about Hillary.

I trust (if he becomes President) he will keep her on the side.