‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 > 

What is a deistic atheist?

goodgraydrab

goodgraydrab
Total Posts:  7845
Joined  19-12-2007

18 December 2008 06:47

Immediate Suppression - 17 December 2008 10:54 PM

I’ll admit that I don’t know the exact percentage of atheists who believe in a God or higher power, it is possibly less than 20%.  But nevertheless, a significant portion of atheist do have deistic beliefs, and for that reason they are deistic atheists.

Put another way, some number of people who say they are believers in a creator-god (deists) also say they are without a belief in a creator-god (atheists). It’s obvious that they don’t know what they are, and it’s more than simple percentages that you don’t know. Make sure that you defend the validity of our poll taken here with as much vigor, our belief that you and they are fuckwistic idiotists. Say what you will, but in the end that’s the count ... a reliable 100%.

[later corrected for greater accuracy with the addition, “who say they are”/“also say they are”]

[ Edited: 18 December 2008 06:58 by goodgraydrab]

camanintx

camanintx
Total Posts:  754
Joined  16-08-2006

18 December 2008 12:45

Immediate Suppression - 17 December 2008 05:09 PM

The point is to make a valid point:  That deistic atheists do exist.  And judging by the clear lack of oppostion to my ideas, I have established that it is a valid point.

Because a circle calls itself a square doesn’t prove that square circles exist, just that stupid circles do.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  15523
Joined  15-02-2008

18 December 2008 13:00

camanintx - 18 December 2008 05:45 PM

The point is to make a valid point:  That deistic atheists do exist.  And judging by the clear lack of oppostion to my ideas, I have established that it is a valid point.

Because a circle calls itself a square doesn’t prove that square circles exist, just that stupid circles do.

It does in IS’ world.

goodgraydrab

goodgraydrab
Joined  19-12-2007

19 December 2008 12:12

Perhaps IS can gleen from this that to get from Atheism to Deism or vice versa requires a conversion, not a union. Also, with regards to responders to the poll he cites, Atheist may be mistaken for the proper use of Irreligion in a Deistic context. Other than that, I think we’ve exhausted every avenue of assistance that might benefit the poor guy’s mind.

http://www.biola.edu/antonyflew/page6.cfm#8

http://www.moderndeism.com/

Immediate Suppression

Immediate Suppression
Total Posts:  205
Joined  19-10-2008

19 December 2008 12:45

That is such a bad analogy that I won’t even play along with it. 

Deistic atheists probably have more in common with traditional atheists than normal atheists would like to admit.  Namely, an opposition to religion.  And I would be surprised if many deistic atheists are very open with their deistic beliefs, in terms of openly expressing them in public.  They might simply have the beliefs as sort of an internal comfort of sorts.

camanintx

camanintx
Total Posts:  754
Joined  16-08-2006

19 December 2008 13:33

Immediate Suppression - 19 December 2008 05:45 PM

Deistic atheists probably have more in common with traditional atheists than normal atheists would like to admit.  Namely, an opposition to religion.

If they believe in a deity but are opposed to religion, then they are antireligious, not atheist, despite what they may call themselves.

Immediate Suppression

Immediate Suppression
Joined  19-10-2008

19 December 2008 14:15

goodgraydrab - 19 December 2008 05:12 PM

Perhaps IS can gleen from this that to get from Atheism to Deism or vice versa requires a conversion, not a union.

While a conversion is usually, though not always, necessary for one to become part of a religion, no conversion is necessary to have deistic beliefs.  You simply have to have deistic beliefs.

Traces Elk

Traces Elk
Total Posts:  5591
Joined  27-09-2006

19 December 2008 14:45

Immediate Suppression - 19 December 2008 07:15 PM

Perhaps IS can gleen from this that to get from Atheism to Deism or vice versa requires a conversion, not a union.

While a conversion is usually, though not always, necessary for one to become part of a religion, no conversion is necessary to have deistic beliefs.  You simply have to have deistic beliefs.

All that’s required to become part of a religion is the delusion that there is safety in numbers.

Deistic beliefs, plus a shiny coin, will buy you a brightly-colored gumball. Chew it carefully so as not to die by choking.

goodgraydrab

goodgraydrab
Joined  19-12-2007

19 December 2008 16:08

Deistic atheists probably have more in common with traditional atheists than normal atheists would like to admit.  Namely, an opposition to religion.  And I would be surprised if many deistic atheists are very open with their deistic beliefs, in terms of openly expressing them in public.  They might simply have the beliefs as sort of an internal comfort of sorts.

The analogy is perfect in regards to your thought process.

You mention above: deistic atheists, traditional atheists and normal atheists and we’re supposed to figure out what you’re talking about when you don’t even know.

Again, you’re attempting for others to pretend they think you know what you’re talking about. You can’t be atheist and simply adopt deist. You have to drop one for the other, otherwise it’s non-existent nonsense. Antireligious or Irreligious is what you’re looking for as a sub-class of deist. Your insistence just makes me think you were a poll participant.

[ Edited: 19 December 2008 16:15 by goodgraydrab]

eudemonia

eudemonia
Total Posts:  9031
Joined  05-04-2008

20 December 2008 08:18

I have arrived at the conclusion that this may be the dumbest discussion and about the most useless thread ever started and continued here.

IS is all about attention and boy is he getting it here.

Immediate Suppression

Immediate Suppression
Joined  19-10-2008

06 January 2009 01:58

Salt Creek - 19 December 2008 07:45 PM
Immediate Suppression - 19 December 2008 07:15 PM

Deistic beliefs, plus a shiny coin, will buy you a brightly-colored gumball. Chew it carefully so as not to die by choking.

I would agree with your lame, predictable joke which you’ve chosen once again to bore us all with with for the four-hundredth time.  A joke is only funny once, among the same group of people.  Did nobody ever tell you that?  I’m wondering if you are also the type of person who laughs out loud at his own jokes, even before anyone else does?

Immediate Suppression

Immediate Suppression
Joined  19-10-2008

06 January 2009 02:07

goodgraydrab - 19 December 2008 09:08 PM

The analogy is perfect in regards to your thought process.

You mention above: deistic atheists, traditional atheists and normal atheists and we’re supposed to figure out what you’re talking about when you don’t even know.

I was referring to the same group when I mentioned “normal” and “traditional” atheists.

goodgraydrab - 19 December 2008 09:08 PM

Again, you’re attempting for others to pretend they think you know what you’re talking about. You can’t be atheist and simply adopt deist. You have to drop one for the other, otherwise it’s non-existent nonsense. Antireligious or Irreligious is what you’re looking for as a sub-class of deist. Your insistence just makes me think you were a poll participant.

Most deistic atheists likely are former religious people who have abandoned religion and embraced atheism.  But they likely have difficulty abandoning their deistic tendencies, for whatever reasons.  They possibly retain them as some type of internal comfort, as I mentioned above.  They have let go of the religion, but still cling to some of the deistic aspects of it.  Many deistic atheists also probably eventually become traditional atheists over time and abandon their deistic tendencies.

goodgraydrab

goodgraydrab
Joined  19-12-2007

06 January 2009 07:58

Immediate Suppression - 06 January 2009 07:07 AM

Most deistic atheists likely are former religious people who have abandoned religion and embraced atheism.  But they likely have difficulty abandoning their deistic tendencies, for whatever reasons.  They possibly retain them as some type of internal comfort, as I mentioned above.  They have let go of the religion, but still cling to some of the deistic aspects of it.  Many deistic atheists also probably eventually become traditional atheists over time and abandon their deistic tendencies.

Your discription, IMHNF(non-fundamentalist)O, sounds remarkably similar to a fence-teeterer, a waffler or a transsexual in the middle of sex reassignment surgery.

Carstonio

Carstonio
Total Posts:  3135
Joined  26-04-2007

06 January 2009 11:26

Most deistic atheists likely are former religious people who have abandoned religion and embraced atheism.

They and many others mistakenly believe that an atheist is someone who rejects organized religion. A better word for such a person is “areligious.” Atheism involves the rejection of all beliefs or claims about the metaphysical or supernatural. Atheism doesn’t necessarily involve the rejection of religion - an atheist might appreciate a religion that involved no metaphysical or supernatural notions at all.

[ Edited: 06 January 2009 11:32 by Carstonio]

Immediate Suppression

Immediate Suppression
Joined  19-10-2008

06 January 2009 11:31

goodgraydrab - 06 January 2009 12:58 PM

Your discription, IMHNF(non-fundamentalist)O, sounds remarkably similar to a fence-teeterer, a waffler or a transsexual in the middle of sex reassignment surgery.

Yeah sort of, though I don’t think those analogies are completely accurate.  Abandoning deistic beliefs you have been brought up with can be a difficult thing to do.  I know this from my own Mormon background. 

It is likely actually easier for some people to abandon religion itself, and even become anti-religious while at the same time keeping some deistic beliefs.  I doubt that most deistic atheists are very open about their deistic beliefs in public, but who in a telephone poll might be willing to be reveal them.  So they are mostly private beliefs which likely cause little harm to anyone.  That is why I am surprised there is so much resentment towards the acknowledgment of the existence of deistic atheists.

‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 >