Of well-meaning people and the damage done by bad ideas

woofy
Total Posts:  313
Joined  03-11-2006

12 December 2006 16:21

Sander—do you have a dog? 

At the risk of sounding like your New Age in-laws, I can say from experience that I have experienced the healing power of dogs.  Taking care of an animal, whether it be dog, cat, rabbit, goat… is good medicine. 

I think there are studies about dogs in particular, helping improve the morale of inmates in prisons, and also dogs that visit hospitals and nursing homes and have a healing effect. 

I also believe in modern western medicine.  I have benefited from doctors and hospitals too.  When I need an anti-biotic, I take an anti-biotic.  When I need a colon cleanse, I do a colon cleanse. 

I hope that you will be able to heal the rift in the relationship with your in-laws.  (puppies are good for bringing people together, too.  as are kittens)

Lapin Diabolique

Lapin Diabolique
Total Posts:  1814
Joined  10-11-2006

13 December 2006 04:32

[quote author=“woofy”]Sander—do you have a dog? 

At the risk of sounding like your New Age in-laws, I can say from experience that I have experienced the healing power of dogs.  Taking care of an animal, whether it be dog, cat, rabbit, goat… is good medicine. 

I think there are studies about dogs in particular, helping improve the morale of inmates in prisons, and also dogs that visit hospitals and nursing homes and have a healing effect. 

I also believe in modern western medicine.  I have benefited from doctors and hospitals too.  When I need an anti-biotic, I take an anti-biotic.  When I need a colon cleanse, I do a colon cleanse. 

I hope that you will be able to heal the rift in the relationship with your in-laws.  (puppies are good for bringing people together, too.  as are kittens)

I used to have cats when I lived in Holland and I grew up all my life with cats and dogs in the house and I know how good it is to be around them.

My wife is afraid of dogs so we never got one. I’d love to have a golden retriever puppy, but now is not a good time for making this kind of a commitment.

I will keep your advice in mind though.

Thus barked Sander

woofy
Total Posts:  313
Joined  03-11-2006

14 December 2006 00:37

To Sander: 

Woof!

(I am tempted to say something like “keep the faith” here—but on a site like this, you have to watch your phrasing…)

So I will just say “woof!” and hope that you can hear the inflection of love and concern.