< 1 2

Flu & Fever during pregnancy linked to Autism - Irony Meter Overload

centered

centered
Total Posts:  3
Joined  07-11-2012

04 December 2012 10:25

It could be that autistic people with severe deficits just can’t communicate with the world in such a way that let’s the rest of us know what’s going on inside.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=4311223&page=1
This is one case, how many more could there be?

Genetics and parental age are being closely studied in autism research, among other factors. As the parent of a child w/autism, our family has taken part in research studies trying to determine what might cause it. The work that’s being done in this field is amazing,and I hope it can help others with autism find their voices.

SB

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  6094
Joined  15-05-2009

04 December 2012 21:53

nonverbal - 03 December 2012 11:34 PM

Yes, most autistic people cannot be described as highly intelligent. Those few who can be so described though are pretty extraordinary, wouldn’t you say?

I’m glad to hear that the child in your class wasn’t being picked on or at least was not while under adult supervision. Those are the kids who will provide society with future expertise in the areas we’ve come to appreciate—narrowly focused and technologically brilliant. Billions of people are literally addicted to devices they (we) will never be able to understand on any but the most superficial level. This human condition will most likely only grow in intensity, wouldn’t you say?

Many Aspergers people have great technical skills, but as the article said, only some of them are employable in typical situations.  Their social problems can be severe, as well as their tendency to perseverate on certain details.  So you can imagine that it would take an understanding employer who was willing to work with a person’s idiosyncracies continually.  But I sure do hope more can become employed.

As for the condition growing in intensity, I don’t know if I’d expect that.  I wonder how many Aspergers people end up getting married and having children?  Again, I think you’re imagining the high intelligence part being much more important than the social deficits.  I tend to think people fall in love due more to the interpersonal relationship, and this would be dicey if a partner could not reciprocate empathy. The quick web search I did showed a low percentage getting married and a high rate of divorce.  So the trait is probably passed on mostly from adults who have some tendencies along the spectrum, but not the full-blown syndrome. 

Here’s a ref:  Asperger spouses

< 1 2