An Immediate request of all Sam Harris.org members

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19564
Joined  20-07-2007

14 December 2008 10:08

TSalleycat,

Just thought you should know that you’re not the only one who gets sick of posters substituting invective and adolescent sarcasms for intellectual speculation.  The only “self-policing” option we have is the “ignore” option, or just not to respond.  Some of these posters are quite happy when someone calls them a “shithead” back; a loud volume of silence seems most effective. 

Dennis

Traces Elk
Total Posts:  5591
Joined  27-09-2006

14 December 2008 11:34

Dennis Campbell - 14 December 2008 03:08 PM

Just thought you should know that you’re not the only one who gets sick of posters substituting invective and adolescent sarcasms for intellectual speculation.  The only “self-policing” option we have is the “ignore” option, or just not to respond.  Some of these posters are quite happy when someone calls them a “shithead” back; a loud volume of silence seems most effective.

Hi, Dennis. Though I know you have me on “ignore”, I just want to underscore that others, in their turn are made sick by your quest to enforce a set of aesthetic standards on discourse, running roughshod, in the process, over any incidence of irony whatever. Upon you, Dennis, I confer the Obnoxious Boring Arrogant Maiden Aunt (OBAMA) award.

nv
Total Posts:  7998
Joined  29-04-2005

14 December 2008 16:09

. . . [Y]ou’re not the only one who gets sick of posters substituting invective and adolescent sarcasms for intellectual speculation.

But Dennis, wouldn’t it be nice to see simple explanation rather than intellectual speculation? To be overly frank here, when I feel like going overboard with masturbation, I reach for a copy of some early Jenna Jameson, and get it right.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

14 December 2008 16:28

UZ,

Simple explanations are fine for Sunday School or maybe the first few grades in school. At this level we’re into “speculation” flavored as much as possible with some relatively hard data, but those who post as some do with “the answers” are simply ignoring the fact they do not know those answers.  Those who post crapping on everyone else, don’t know the answers either, nor do they offer ideas as to some directions, but they imply without substance they do know.

SC and some like him have posted as far as I can tell, almost nothing more than “I’m smarter than all you fuckwits,” without positing anything that justifies that narcissism.  Maybe it is just as well we “police ourselves,” as it is our responsibility to judge what we read, and not some sys admin to do so.  T., and Cindy and some others have posted not hiding behind some “clever” screen name, behind which they can engage in basically public masturbation with no progeny, but they post ideas, experiences and analysis often worth considering. 

Dennis

nv
Total Posts:  7998
Joined  29-04-2005

14 December 2008 16:54

Dennis Campbell - 14 December 2008 09:28 PM

UZ,

Simple explanations are fine for Sunday School or maybe the first few grades in school. . . .

Dennis, I’m only suggesting that when something someone writes or utters has an intellectual ring to it, it very often arrives from pretense. As seems to be my habit, I was nitpicking your words again, for which I apologize.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

14 December 2008 17:21

UZ,

Sometimes pretense is all we have? 

Dennis

ooo
Total Posts:  240
Joined  02-09-2008

14 December 2008 17:26

UZ,

Simple explanations are fine for Sunday School or maybe the first few grades in school. At this level we’re into “speculation” flavored as much as possible with some relatively hard data, but those who post as some do with “the answers” are simply ignoring the fact they do not know those answers.  Those who post crapping on everyone else, don’t know the answers either, nor do they offer ideas as to some directions, but they imply without substance they do know.

SC and some like him have posted as far as I can tell, almost nothing more than “I’m smarter than all you fuckwits,” without positing anything that justifies that narcissism.  Maybe it is just as well we “police ourselves,” as it is our responsibility to judge what we read, and not some sys admin to do so.  T., and Cindy and some others have posted not hiding behind some “clever” screen name, behind which they can engage in basically public masturbation with no progeny, but they post ideas, experiences and analysis often worth considering. 

Dennis

I see you’ve started a new insult thread Dennis. I’ll go next, but be brief about it so as not to waste your time, OK?

“Dennis is a wanker stuck in the feedback loop of his own verbal diarrhoea.” 

So Dennis, calling someone a fuckwit wanker, albeit in a circuitous manner, because they called you something similar?  What a dazzling intellectual sight to behold.

Immediate Suppression

Immediate Suppression
Total Posts:  205
Joined  19-10-2008

16 December 2008 16:58

Dennis Campbell - 04 December 2008 06:24 PM

IS,

I do not give a Rat’s Ass if any post is considered “rude” or not, that’s entirely up to the sender and the perception of any reader.  It is not up to this forum to somehow regulate the style and content of any posts, absent clear threats to physically injure someone, and that is up to the system administrators to handle, as well as any applicable law enforcement agency.

That is in the process of being handled.

Why are we spending all this time and effort on essentially a stylistic issue?

Because I made a request for civility.  I also wanted to explore this issue to see how atheists would react to such a request for civility.  It has been revealing, to say the least.

Have too many of us no better issues of some substance to advance?

Sorry to distract you from more important issues of substance, such as the insult thread, or the sandwich thread.

Immediate Suppression

Immediate Suppression
Joined  19-10-2008

16 December 2008 17:01

little baby cheeses - 04 December 2008 06:26 PM

I have learnt more from the few rude people who have challenged my intellectual complacency than all of my immensely civil teachers combined.  I think I’ll commission a new T-shirt to commemorate

Rude and Proud!

Make sure the shirt says Atheist as well, so people will understand, and know that they should avoid communication with you at all costs.

Immediate Suppression

Immediate Suppression
Joined  19-10-2008

16 December 2008 17:04

little baby cheeses - 05 December 2008 01:16 AM
Immediate Suppression - 04 December 2008 04:39 AM

But last time I checked, no one in this forum has threatened to commit an ‘honour killing’(Did you mean honor killing?).

I distinctly remember something you considered to be threat to your life, you whined about it several times in several different areas.  I considered it a humorous image of shit for brains dribbling down a wall.  I have reconsidered my position and, were it to occur, the act of throwing you against the wall would meet my definition of an honour killing - with or without a u.

So do you also propose to throw me against a wall, like Salt Creek has, or are you simply pretending to be an atheist fundamentalist?

[ Edited: 16 December 2008 17:27 by Immediate Suppression]

Immediate Suppression

Immediate Suppression
Joined  19-10-2008

16 December 2008 17:06

M is for Malapert - 08 December 2008 05:22 PM

Several people have complained about this by now.  Stop it.

What are you going to do if I don’t?  Insult me or threaten to harm me,  atheist fundamentalist-style?

[ Edited: 16 December 2008 17:28 by Immediate Suppression]

Immediate Suppression

Immediate Suppression
Joined  19-10-2008

16 December 2008 17:10

TSalleycat,

You are correct, sometimes all they really want is an ugly fight.  Why are atheists so angry?

Immediate Suppression

Immediate Suppression
Joined  19-10-2008

16 December 2008 17:16

Salt Creek - 14 December 2008 04:34 PM

Hi, Dennis. Though I know you have me on “ignore”, I just want to underscore that others, in their turn are made sick by your quest to enforce a set of aesthetic standards on discourse, running roughshod, in the process, over any incidence of irony whatever. Upon you, Dennis, I confer the Obnoxious Boring Arrogant Maiden Aunt (OBAMA) award.

You’re probably the most ignored person in the whole forum, considering some of the messages I have received from people who appreciate what I have done to a certain degree.

Upon you, Salt Creek, I accurately apply the label atheist fundamentalist.

Atheists like you are the best weapon Christians have.  All they have to do is look at some of your writings I have quoted below and say: “Look, see what atheism does to a person?”

Salt Creek - 20 October 2008 09:03 AM
telner - 18 October 2008 11:33 PM

A few years ago my (devoutly Christian) Silat teacher allowed as how every serious martial artist needed to get through “Zen 101 to keep your head screwed on straight.”

telner sees himself as a serious martial artist, but outside the competition ring, the evidence shows that he’s a bombastic, blustering nitwit.

Salt Creek - 20 October 2008 05:42 PM
MHunter - 20 October 2008 04:13 PM

Wow, lots of intolerance around here… And I thought, being an atheist, I was among the enlightened ones.

And your complaint is what, more precisely, Mr. Fuckball?

Salt Creek - 05 November 2008 10:04 AM
roger_pearse - 05 November 2008 08:22 AM
Jefe - 04 November 2008 02:54 PM

Is the anti-homosexuality sentiment of many christians based on it being referenced as an abomination in the bible?

Is the pro-homosexuality sentiment of many atheists based on it being fashionable?

Atheists like me don’t care if it’s “fashionable” or not…. Only ignorant peasants make idiotic statements like yours suggesting that the emotional appeal of respect for individual liberty is a “fashion”.....fuckwits like you need to be more patient and avoid abuse of the language. It doesn’‘t really assist your case.

Salt Creek - 27 August 2008 12:17 PM

You are, for the umpty-hundredth time, rendering your “testimony”. It’s just advertising, proselytizing, and part of the grand diplomacy of woo, Mr. Ambassador. After the umpty-hundredth time, it’s also a fuckwitudinous waste of brain cells. Zombie droid fuckwitude. Go ahead and tell everyone that God loves them. You are Pavlov’s dog, barking into an empty lab.

Salt Creek - 27 August 2008 07:18 PM
clayforHim648 - 27 August 2008 06:24 PM

If the biblical teaching and proclamation of the Gospel does not itself radically transform you and convince you of a critical, desperate need for Christ and your vast separation from Him, then what else can I say?

What else can you say? You can say that you’re a fuckwit, because you’re lying about any claims that the Gospel has radically transformed you. It’s transformed you from an ordinary fuckwit into a fuckwit zombie droid who cannot stop talking about the Gospel.

Salt Creek - 28 August 2008 06:57 PM
Tad Trenton’s Ghost - 28 August 2008 06:33 PM

The prevailing view among most posters on this forum seems to be: if it cannot be tested in a laboratory, then it cannot exist: thus the “natural” world is all that there is or can be. But this is not the case.

Don’t be a consummate fuckwit. If you cannot produce evidence for it, keep it to yourself. Who else can know about it? Do you think stories you tell about the supernatural are educational, or merely titillating? Are they titillating to anyone but you?

Tad Trenton’s Ghost - 28 August 2008 06:33 PM

they would be subject to the actions and interactions dictated by logic

Really? Stuff exists because it is logically possible? Who knew?

Do you think the more people you can convince of the supernatural through your ridiculous stories, the more likely it is to exist? Or are you simply a consummate fuckwit?

[ Edited: 16 December 2008 17:44 by Immediate Suppression]

Immediate Suppression

Immediate Suppression
Joined  19-10-2008

16 December 2008 17:22

SC and some like him have posted as far as I can tell, almost nothing more than “I’m smarter than all you fuckwits,” without positing anything that justifies that narcissism.

Yes, you are correct, but maybe the fact that he appears to be the most prominent atheist fundamentalist in this forum gives him reason to justify that narcissism.

[ Edited: 16 December 2008 17:29 by Immediate Suppression]

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

16 December 2008 18:27

As a matter of personal preference, I’ve “ignored” SC and some others simply because their level and style of discourse is to me simply not worth the bother to read.  Others have made the same decision about my posts, and that’s fine. 

I do not ask or propose that some “standard” be applied by some outside judge as to what and how anyone posts anything.  If I find some posters offensive or irrelevant, or whatever, then it is up to me to simply ignore or not reply to them.  I do not endorse any appeal to system administrators to become PC cops. 

Dennis