1 2 3 > 

Mention the OTHER Tencommandments too

twillight

twillight
Total Posts:  16
Joined  18-03-2010

18 June 2010 18:12

You probably aren’t aware on this, but check Exodus, chapter 34 for these:

#1 thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God
#2 Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.
#3 The feast of unleavened bread shalt thou keep.
#4 All that openeth the matrix is YHWH’s
#5 Six days thou shalt work, but on the seventh day thou shalt rest (no specification for the Sabbath)
#6 thou shalt observe the feast of weeks
#7 Thrice in the year shall all your menchildren appear before the LORD God, the God of Israel. (this is the only one where Elohim offers something back, and makes this shit a real covenant)
#8 Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven; neither shall the sacrifice of the feast of the passover be left unto the morning.
#9 The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring unto the house of the LORD thy God.
#10 Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother’s milk.

Now how THIS fits as “the basic of society”? (Half of the other ten is already useless, but none these worth a damn.)

W. Collins

W. Collins
Total Posts:  2451
Joined  13-07-2009

19 June 2010 15:06

I think you’ll find that most atheists do know this, but many theists do not.

Does this mean that God was wrong if he had to change them? Shouldn’t the two sets have been identical?

rab

rab
Total Posts:  2541
Joined  26-03-2006

19 June 2010 20:24

There are other commandments too but I’m not sure which book they’re in but they include things about menstrual blood, shellfish, the skin of pigs, wearing clothes of different materials, and planting crops on the Sabbath.

Andrew

Andrew
Total Posts:  8526
Joined  15-06-2006

20 June 2010 08:50

rab - 19 June 2010 06:24 PM

There are other commandments too but I’m not sure which book they’re in but they include things about menstrual blood, shellfish, the skin of pigs, wearing clothes of different materials, and planting crops on the Sabbath.

(Andrw):  Sprinkled around, but mostly in Leviticus and Deuteronomy.  There are 613 of them.

W. Collins

W. Collins
Total Posts:  2451
Joined  13-07-2009

20 June 2010 12:36

Andrew - 20 June 2010 06:50 AM

(Andrw):  Sprinkled around, but mostly in Leviticus and Deuteronomy.  There are 613 of them.

Cool! Too bad most of them are completely useless for building a healthy society.

eudemonia

eudemonia
Total Posts:  9031
Joined  05-04-2008

20 June 2010 13:12

Dan Barker, in his excellent book ‘Godless’ discusses this at length.

Theists and Christians/Jews should read it and exercise intellectual honesty.

rab

rab
Total Posts:  2541
Joined  26-03-2006

20 June 2010 16:18

That’s great. It even separates them by topic. I’m bookmarking this for future reference.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  15849
Joined  15-02-2008

21 June 2010 05:54

Acupuncturist

Acupuncturist
Total Posts:  1108
Joined  18-05-2009

21 June 2010 20:30

Great link! did you see where they leave out the “o” in the word God and just spell it G-d. I thought that he wanted to be called Yahweigh?

twillight

twillight
Total Posts:  16
Joined  18-03-2010

23 June 2010 08:42

Acupuncturist - 21 June 2010 06:30 PM

Great link! did you see where they leave out the “o” in the word God and just spell it G-d. I thought that he wanted to be called Yahweigh?

Wasn’t the name “Jelous”?

Andrew

Andrew
Joined  15-06-2006

23 June 2010 08:57

Acupuncturist - 21 June 2010 06:30 PM

...did you see where they leave out the “o” in the word God and just spell it G-d. I thought that he wanted to be called Yahweigh?

(Andrew):  No one knows for sure how God’s name is pronounced, and the 5th commandment forbids them from using it in vain, so some Jews play it safe by never saying it at all.  They use “Lord” or “Master” (Adonai) when they run across it in scripture, and leave the “o” out when they write it. 
“Yahweh” is a literation of YHWH (“I yam what I yam”), which is what God said when Moses asked Him what His name was.

[ Edited: 23 June 2010 10:02 by Andrew]

Acupuncturist

Acupuncturist
Joined  18-05-2009

23 June 2010 09:39

Why is our brain wired to say the lord’s name in vain whenever we hurt ourselves or are shocked or excited?, and what sick mind decided that this natural tendency was a mortal sin that gets you punished for eternity?

Even a non-believer will curse when hurt. I wonder what the curse would be in a completely atheist society? I’m guessing it would be related to fecal matter.

Andrew

Andrew
Joined  15-06-2006

23 June 2010 10:00

Acupuncturist - 23 June 2010 07:39 AM

Why is our brain wired to say the lord’s name in vain whenever we hurt ourselves or are shocked or excited?, and what sick mind decided that this natural tendency was a mortal sin that gets you punished for eternity?

Even a non-believer will curse when hurt. I wonder what the curse would be in a completely atheist society? I’m guessing it would be related to fecal matter.

(Andrew): The intent of the 5th commandent is riddled with confusion.  Mostly it’s not so much about saying “God Damn it!”, as it is about saying “I promise to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help me God”, and then lying your butt off.
That sort of thing.
The New International Version of the Bible translates Exodus 20:7 this way:

“You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.

[ Edited: 23 June 2010 10:02 by Andrew]

Acupuncturist

Acupuncturist
Joined  18-05-2009

23 June 2010 10:16

It’s nice to know the deity won’t be mad at me for that one.

I came across several sources that I found credible that suggested that Jesus never existed, even as a simple mortal man. I am of the opinion that such a person was a complete fabrication and was raised in a home without belief , yet if I hit my finger with a hammer I still yell Jesus Christ really loudly and angrily as if he was to blame or could help me out.

Are you sure that’s not a sin? It is so unlike G-d to be so understanding.

Acupuncturist

Acupuncturist
Joined  18-05-2009

23 June 2010 10:26

(telephone) ring ring,

(Moses) hello,

(burning bush) hello, may I please speak to Moses?

(M) may I ask who’s calling?

(bb) I am what I am.

(M) excuse me?

(bb) I am what I am.

(M) I’m sorry whom did you say was calling?

(bb) I am what I am!

(M) That’s what I thought you said.

click

It’s a good thing that conversation took place four thousand years ago

Andrew

Andrew
Joined  15-06-2006

24 June 2010 08:59

Another tidbit re: the Ten Commandments (all this should be in the Judaism forum—I’ll move the thread)—
You’ll recall that when Moses came back down from Mt Sinai, he found the Israelites whoring after other gods and, in a fit of pique, he broke the tablets on which God had written these Ten Commandments:

-Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
-Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image
-Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain
-Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
-Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.
-Thou shalt not kill.
-Thou shalt not commit adultery.
-Thou shalt not steal.
-Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
-Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbor’s.

Whereupon God gave him another set about which He said, “I will write upon these tables the words that were in the first tables, which thou brakest”
But the 2nd edition of the Ten Commandments was nothing at all like the first.  Very different.

-Thou shalt worship no other god.
-Thou shalt not make thee no molten gods.
-The feast of unleavened bread shalt thou keep.
-All that openeth the matrix is mine; and every firstling among thy cattle… (The firstborn offspring of every cow and sheep is to be sacrificed to God).
-Six days thou shalt work, but on the seventh day thou shalt rest.
-Thou shalt observe the feast of weeks.
-Thrice in the year shall all your menchildren appear before the Lord God.  (All male children must appear before God three times per year).
-Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven (yeast), neither shall the sacrifice of the feast of the Passover be left unto the morning
-The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring unto the house of the Lord thy God.
-Do not boil a baby goat in its mother’s milk.

God must have been pulling Moses’ leg.

1 2 3 >