Joined  29-07-2011

14 August 2011 04:51
robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Total Posts:  6576
Joined  23-05-2008

14 August 2011 05:56

Good article in SPEIGEL ONLINE.

It is cause for optimism -  religion actually is on the wane. Those that are left are just making more noise than they used to. Also highlights the biggest diofficulties for non-believers. Although they are the third largest group and should be able to weild a corresponding amount of clout they punch below their weight becasue they have no group cohesion or organisation.

A good read.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  15641
Joined  15-02-2008

14 August 2011 07:16

Die fröhliche Wissenschaft (Rob) - 14 August 2011 03:56 AM

Good article in SPEIGEL ONLINE.

It is cause for optimism -  religion actually is on the wane. Those that are left are just making more noise than they used to. Also highlights the biggest diofficulties for non-believers. Although they are the third largest group and should be able to weild a corresponding amount of clout they punch below their weight becasue they have no group cohesion or organisation.

A good read.

That’s because indifference and indecision aren’t very motivating….......

Only a small portion of secularists are as radical as the “strong atheists” championed by British evolutionary biologist and author Richard Dawkins. The majority are more likely to be indifferent to religion or mildly agnostic, according to Kosmin’s analysis

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Joined  23-05-2008

14 August 2011 08:31

Hey, GAD,  indifference to religion or mild agnosticism I can live with. Beats fundamentalism hands down! It’s never gonna be a perfect world. Let’s be grateful that at least less and less are with them and against us.

Why do I sometimes get the feeling that you’re a cup half-empty instead of a cup half-full kinda guy?

eudemonia

eudemonia
Total Posts:  9031
Joined  05-04-2008

14 August 2011 13:31

Whether a free thinker is a strong or weak Atheist or Agnostic or whatever is beside the point. The emphasis is and has always been to keep religion out of politics and social policy decision making. That renders faith based initiatives benign by and large.

I don’t care what anybody believes personally or individually, but it should be kept at that level.

IMO achieving and sustaining secularism is more important than converting believers to non or eradicating religious belief. It is much more plausible as well.

cosmodet

cosmodet
Total Posts:  38
Joined  29-07-2011

14 August 2011 13:34

eudemonia - 14 August 2011 11:31 AM

Whether a free thinker is a strong or weak Atheist or Agnostic or whatever is beside the point. The emphasis is and has always been to keep religion out of politics and social policy decision making. That renders faith based initiatives benign by and large.

I don’t care what anybody believes personally or individually, but it should be kept at that level.

IMO achieving and sustaining secularism is more important than converting believers to non or eradicating religious belief. It is much more plausible as well.

I agree, especially if trying to organize really is like herding cats:)

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Joined  23-05-2008

14 August 2011 14:22

eudemonia - 14 August 2011 11:31 AM

Exactly. In a perfect world religion would be nothing but a historial curiosity. That’s not about to happen. If the majority become agnostic or just indefferent and are no longer inspired by it to oppress others and otherwise behave badly, and if those that remain religious are mainly involved in good works such as charity then I’d be content with that. I’m not out to exterminate the religious. I just want them de-fanged and rendered harmless.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  15641
Joined  15-02-2008

14 August 2011 15:06

Die fröhliche Wissenschaft (Rob) - 14 August 2011 06:31 AM

Hey, GAD,  indifference to religion or mild agnosticism I can live with. Beats fundamentalism hands down! It’s never gonna be a perfect world. Let’s be grateful that at least less and less are with them and against us.

Why do I sometimes get the feeling that you’re a cup half-empty instead of a cup half-full kinda guy?

You said, “Although they are the third largest group and should be able to weild a corresponding amount of clout they punch below their weight becasue they have no group cohesion or organisation.”

I answered, “That’s because indifference and indecision aren’t very motivating”, that’s not cup half-empty that’s reality.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  8483
Joined  20-10-2006

14 August 2011 15:20

We may be seeing a trend of another kind working against not only religion but fraternal societies, too.  Anyone here belong to the Shriners or Elk’s Club?  Folks aren’t joining clubs like they used to and club membership is declining and aging rapidly.  It’s not just religion people are leaving but formal social communities.  Anyone have ideas why?