Ten Commandments & American Law: rehasing the rehasable

srd44

srd44
Total Posts:  129
Joined  29-04-2012

23 June 2012 22:01

I thought to share this link: http://atheism.about.com/od/tencommandments/a/americanlaw.htm

What I found pertinent is the framing of the question. The author queries whether the 10 commandments are the bases for American law—- and this is a radically different question than the more abstract: is the 10 commandments the bases for our morals. And I thought he does a nice job at the former. Normally atheists try to argue the latter. From the perspective of what the bible actually says, I have posted elsewhere the biblical evidence to strongly suggest that are morals are not dependent nor derived from the Bible, and more I was arguing against the idea that the Bible provides moral, spiritual, or practical guidance in today’s world. See here: http://stevendimattei.com/bible-part-2/

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  15821
Joined  15-02-2008

24 June 2012 07:45

eudemonia

eudemonia
Total Posts:  9031
Joined  05-04-2008

11 July 2012 19:36

‘The author queries whether the 10 commandments are the bases for American law—’

No. The origin of all western democratic legal systems comes from Saxon (Pagan) common law, (later known as English common law) starting in the 5th century.

Mike78

Mike78
Total Posts:  1719
Joined  05-06-2012

23 July 2012 14:38

srd44 - 23 June 2012 08:01 PM

I thought to share this link: http://atheism.about.com/od/tencommandments/a/americanlaw.htm

What I found pertinent is the framing of the question. The author queries whether the 10 commandments are the bases for American law—- and this is a radically different question than the more abstract: is the 10 commandments the bases for our morals. And I thought he does a nice job at the former. Normally atheists try to argue the latter. From the perspective of what the bible actually says, I have posted elsewhere the biblical evidence to strongly suggest that are morals are not dependent nor derived from the Bible, and more I was arguing against the idea that the Bible provides moral, spiritual, or practical guidance in today’s world. See here: http://stevendimattei.com/bible-part-2/

The answer to both questions obviously is no.  Who can justify a salary based on investigation or debate over this question?  I would wager that we can come up with a better, more moral set of 10 commandments right on this site without breaking a sweat.  To toss a bone to the christians, we’ll keep a few of theirs, in no particular order:

1.  Don’t murder.
2.  Don’t steal.
3.  Don’t lie.
4.  Don’t commit unwanted sex acts on anyone.
5.  Don’t assault and batter anyone.
6.  Don’t enslave anyone.
7.  Don’t abuse children.
8.  Don’t treat living creatures with cruelty.
9.  Don’t poison the environment.
10. Treat everyone and everything as you want to be treated.

Improvements?

EN

EN
Total Posts:  19400
Joined  11-03-2007

23 July 2012 15:59

Mike78 - 23 July 2012 12:38 PM

The answer to both questions obviously is no.  Who can justify a salary based on investigation or debate over this question?  I would wager that we can come up with a better, more moral set of 10 commandments right on this site without breaking a sweat.  To toss a bone to the christians, we’ll keep a few of theirs, in no particular order:

1.  Don’t murder.
2.  Don’t steal.
3.  Don’t lie.
4.  Don’t commit unwanted sex acts on anyone.
5.  Don’t assault and batter anyone.
6.  Don’t enslave anyone.
7.  Don’t abuse children.
8.  Don’t treat living creatures with cruelty.
9.  Don’t poison the environment.
10. Treat everyone and everything as you want to be treated.

Improvements?

This is a pretty good list for a moral/legal code in a secular society. I like it.

eudemonia

eudemonia
Total Posts:  9031
Joined  05-04-2008

23 July 2012 17:03

Instead of 10 commandments, how about 7 themes of the humanist manifesto III-

1 Knowledge of the world is derived by observation, experimentation, and rational analysis.
  2 Humans are an integral part of nature, the result of evolutionary change, an unguided process.
  3 Ethical values are derived from human need and interest as tested by experience.
  4 Life’s fulfillment emerges from individual participation in the service of humane ideals.
  5 Humans are social by nature and find meaning in relationships.
  6 Working to benefit society maximizes individual happiness.
  7 Respect for differing yet humane views in an open, secular, democratic, environmentally sustainable society

EN

EN
Total Posts:  19400
Joined  11-03-2007

15 September 2012 05:30

I would suspect that the 10 commandments have some influence on American law, but were not consciously in the minds of the Fathers, or at least most of them.  Obviously, the Judeo-Christian heritage in the West goes back a long way.  It would be ignorant to suggest that certain themes from the Bible haven’t made their way into the Western mindset, or that they had no influence on Enlightenment thinkers.  John Locke was a pretty strong Christian, for example, and even influenced some Baptist statements of faith. However, that does not make the 10 Commandments or Christianity in general the basis for American law. Many streams fed into that river.

If you don’t know who John Locke was, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Locke#Religious_beliefs.  When you read the Declaration of Independence, you are at least partially hearing his voice.

[ Edited: 15 September 2012 05:33 by EN]