No Menorah?

Egross

Egross
Total Posts:  117
Joined  11-02-2013

15 February 2013 12:07

In this weeks section of the Torah it describes how to make a Menorah.

Here in Israel, the Temple Instature is focused on creating Temple implements for the time when the Temple will be built again. The have the priestly garb, the tools, and so forth.

So they tried to built the solid gold menora according to specifications. The thing was about 8 feet tall, and hear arm was about as thick as a human arm (well a skinny human!).

And the thing just drooped, like melted candle wax.

The problem with pure gold is that is isn’t that strong. And the goldsmiths calculated that the impurity rate would have to be very high just to get the arms to remain erect, but don’t try to tough them, because they will bend.

The typical reaction to this is “Well, it was a miracle, of course it worked back then.”

Now to try to build an ark! :D

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  8483
Joined  20-10-2006

15 February 2013 17:42

Just make the darn thing gold plated and don’t tell anyone.  Who’s going to check?

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  5878
Joined  15-05-2009

15 February 2013 22:57

And try to fit 2 of every land animal species in the ark.  Don’t forget insects!  (Or did you mean ark of the covenant?)

As for the gold menorah, perhaps an alloy is more reasonable.  Could the Hebrews (or anyone) extract pure gold that long ago?  My quick research says no.  So it’s like a perfect image of a menorah that could never actually exist.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  19111
Joined  11-03-2007

15 February 2013 23:46

The actual biblical instruction is from Exodus 25:31 “Make a lampstand of pure gold. Hammer out its base and shaft, and make its flowerlike cups, buds and blossoms of one piece with them.”  The phrase “hammer out” sounds like gold plating to me - so you have a core of something more solid like iron or wood, and pure gold plating over it.  I agree with Skipshot.

Jeff M

Jeff M
Total Posts:  1644
Joined  08-10-2010

16 February 2013 00:07

Ecurb Noselrub - 15 February 2013 10:46 PM

The actual biblical instruction is from Exodus 25:31 “Make a lampstand of pure gold. Hammer out its base and shaft, and make its flowerlike cups, buds and blossoms of one piece with them.”  The phrase “hammer out” sounds like gold plating to me - so you have a core of something more solid like iron or wood, and pure gold plating over it.  I agree with Skipshot.

Ecurb:

I’m starting to think of you as the bibles lawyer.  You take a paragraph that has an unconditional sentence “Make a lampstand of pure gold” and argue it is not supposed to be pure gold, after finding out about the problem of-course wink

EN

EN
Total Posts:  19111
Joined  11-03-2007

16 February 2013 00:28

Jeff M - 15 February 2013 11:07 PM

I’m starting to think of you as the bibles lawyer.  You take a paragraph that has an unconditional sentence “Make a lampstand of pure gold” and argue it is not supposed to be pure gold, after finding out about the problem of-course wink

It’s all about spin, Jeff.  You should know that, living in The Big Easy.  “Pure gold” relates to the quality of the material, not how the object is constructed.  “Hammered out” clearly relates to a plating process - you take the pure gold, hammer it into shape, and then mold it around a core.  What’s the problem? 

How was Mardi Gras?

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

16 February 2013 01:05

Hold it!  Doesn’t the re-building of the temple mean to Christians that Jesus is coming back?

Jeff M

Jeff M
Total Posts:  1644
Joined  08-10-2010

16 February 2013 01:33

Skipshot: 

Jesus came May 21, 2011

[ Edited: 16 February 2013 01:35 by Jeff M]

Egross

Egross
Total Posts:  117
Joined  11-02-2013

16 February 2013 16:31

Actually, according to the Temple Institute, following Rabbinical directions, “hammering out” means you start with one giant slab of gold and then start hammering out the shape. There can be no seams because it cannot be made into pieces. They’ll figure it out…or maybe not. Just like the stones cannot be cut with metal tools for the temple, since metal is the object of war, but instead you need this mythological bug that excrete an acide to melt the stones.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

16 February 2013 21:39

Egross - 16 February 2013 03:31 PM

Actually, according to the Temple Institute, following Rabbinical directions, “hammering out” means you start with one giant slab of gold and then start hammering out the shape. There can be no seams because it cannot be made into pieces. They’ll figure it out…or maybe not. Just like the stones cannot be cut with metal tools for the temple, since metal is the object of war, but instead you need this mythological bug that excrete an acide to melt the stones.

And I though Christianity and Islam had messed up rules.