Bill Moyers:  "delusional is no longer marginal"

hrettig
Total Posts:  4
Joined  21-12-2004

21 December 2004 12:49

From Bill Moyer's last NOW program on PBS:

"One of the biggest changes in politics in my lifetime is that the delusional is no longer marginal. It has come in from the fringe, to sit in the seat of power in the Oval Office and in Congress. For the first time in our history, ideology and theology hold a monopoly of power in Washington. Theology asserts propositions that cannot be proven true; ideologues hold stoutly to a world view despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality. When ideology and theology couple, their offspring are not always bad but they are always blind. And there is the danger: voters and politicians alike, oblivious to the facts."

Sweeney
Total Posts:  9
Joined  21-12-2004

22 December 2004 03:17

I’m going to miss that guy!

Jersey McJones

Jersey McJones
Total Posts:  21
Joined  22-12-2004

22 December 2004 03:35

Are they cancelling NOW or giving it to that other guy?  (What’s his name again?)

Sweeney
Joined  21-12-2004

22 December 2004 03:40

I’ve been out of the country for a few years, so I haven’t seen the show, or heard much about it.
The LA Times ran an article about a month ago that Moyers was retiring, and that’s all I can remember.
He, and his Campbell interview, have had a profound effect on my life.
JS

Jersey McJones

Jersey McJones
Joined  22-12-2004

22 December 2004 03:42

[quote author=“Sweeney”]I’ve been out of the country for a few years, so I haven’t seen the show, or heard much about it.
The LA Times ran an article about a month ago that Moyers was retiring, and that’s all I can remember.
JS

Oh yeah, the Campbell series were excellent.  Great stuff!  They were playing them again just last week.

Sweeney
Joined  21-12-2004

22 December 2004 03:55

I’m getting my cable hooked up today. Have reruns been scheduled?

Jersey McJones

Jersey McJones
Joined  22-12-2004

22 December 2004 03:59

[quote author=“Sweeney”]I’m getting my cable hooked up today. Have reruns been scheduled?

Sorry, my friend.  I don’t see it on PBS.org.  Where, roughly, are you?

exploded-planet-god

exploded-planet-god
Total Posts:  106
Joined  21-12-2004

22 December 2004 04:07

[quote author=“Sweeney”]I’ve been out of the country for a few years, so I haven’t seen the show, or heard much about it.
JS

Guess where (physical location) some of the Moyer’s Campbell interviews (for the book by Moyers??) were done?

Hint: symbolism within movies.

JL

Jersey McJones

Jersey McJones
Joined  22-12-2004

22 December 2004 04:14

[quote author=“exploded-planet-god”][quote author=“Sweeney”]I’ve been out of the country for a few years, so I haven’t seen the show, or heard much about it.
JS

Guess where (physical location) some of the Moyer’s Campbell interviews (for the book by Moyers??) were done?

JL

Hmmm…  I should probably know this, huh?  Hmmm…

exploded-planet-god

exploded-planet-god
Joined  21-12-2004

22 December 2004 04:24

[quote author=“Jersey McJones”][quote author=“exploded-planet-god”][quote author=“Sweeney”]I’ve been out of the country for a few years, so I haven’t seen the show, or heard much about it.
JS

JL

What movie had a planet that explodes?

JL

Jersey McJones

Jersey McJones
Joined  22-12-2004

22 December 2004 04:39

[quote author=“exploded-planet-god”][quote author=“Jersey McJones”][quote author=“exploded-planet-god”][quote author=“Sweeney”]I’ve been out of the country for a few years, so I haven’t seen the show, or heard much about it.
JS

JL

JL

Was it on the Lucas ranch?

exploded-planet-god

exploded-planet-god
Joined  21-12-2004

22 December 2004 04:48

[quote author=“Jersey McJones”][quote author=“exploded-planet-god”][quote author=“Jersey McJones”][quote author=“exploded-planet-god”][quote author=“Sweeney”]I’ve been out of the country for a few years, so I haven’t seen the show, or heard much about it.
JS

JL

JL

Ding ding.

JL

Jersey McJones

Jersey McJones
Joined  22-12-2004

22 December 2004 04:54

[quote author=“exploded-planet-god”][quote author=“Jersey McJones”][quote author=“exploded-planet-god”][quote author=“Jersey McJones”][quote author=“exploded-planet-god”][quote author=“Sweeney”]I’ve been out of the country for a few years, so I haven’t seen the show, or heard much about it.
JS

JL

JL

Ding ding.

JL

Yeah, they were friends, right?  (Campbell and Lucas).  I think Lucas came to him for input in the Star Wars mythologies…

exploded-planet-god

exploded-planet-god
Joined  21-12-2004

22 December 2004 05:01

[quote author=“Jersey McJones”][quote author=“exploded-planet-god”][quote author=“Jersey McJones”][quote author=“exploded-planet-god”][quote author=“Jersey McJones”][quote author=“exploded-planet-god”][quote author=“Sweeney”]I’ve been out of the country for a few years, so I haven’t seen the show, or heard much about it.
JS

JL

JL

Ding ding.

JL

Yeah, they were friends, right?  (Campbell and Lucas).  I think Lucas came to him for input in the Star Wars mythologies…

I only know Lucas was into Campbell’s books/ideas/writing big-time.

JL

nancynancy
Total Posts:  25
Joined  22-12-2004

20 January 2005 02:30

Here’s another trivia question: Who edited the bestselling book Joseph Campbell wrote with Bill Moyers called “The Power of Myth”? Hint: this very well known woman was distantly related by marriage to both writer Gore Vidal and one of the most famous govenors of California.

G.T. Carey
Total Posts:  3
Joined  07-02-2005

07 February 2005 15:44

Betty Sue Flowers ? 

If correct fill in the connections (I just pulled it from google - sorry!)