Fundies cause Atheism? 

deanie
Total Posts:  167
Joined  24-12-2004

08 September 2012 09:06

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM9dTMnKltg&feature=youtu.be

I’d be really interested in people’s response to this non-sense.

toombaru
Total Posts:  800
Joined  12-11-2010

08 September 2012 10:25

deanie - 08 September 2012 09:06 AM

I think that here is man who can see through the lunacy of biblical thinking but slips into another delusional quagmire by exposing his political liberalism.

Skipshot
Total Posts:  1589
Joined  20-10-2006

08 September 2012 12:37

Can you be a little more vague?  To which nonsense are you referring?

deanie
Total Posts:  167
Joined  24-12-2004

08 September 2012 13:44

Skipshot - 08 September 2012 12:37 PM

The nonsense that it is fundamentalists that make people become atheists.

Wreck of M Deare

Wreck of M Deare
Total Posts:  29
Joined  29-06-2012

08 September 2012 14:06

I loved the video.  Thanks for posting.

toombaru
Joined  12-11-2010

08 September 2012 14:32

deanie - 08 September 2012 01:44 PM
Skipshot - 08 September 2012 12:37 PM

The nonsense that it is fundamentalists that make people become atheists.

Well…..........it’s meat that makes vegetarians.

:-0

TheCoolinator

TheCoolinator
Total Posts:  152
Joined  29-08-2012

08 September 2012 16:22

I would like to address two points the theistic liberal made in the posted video.

1. Jesus spoke in parable and metaphor and gave liberal teachings.  Let me offer a direct quote of Jesus as relayed to us by Matthew 5:17-19:

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one title shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus, therefore, explicitly and strongly endorses the whole of the Old Testament in very plain language.  We need not interpret any metaphor here. 

2. He has no problem with teaching creationism in biology so long as evolution is taught in Bible study.  He’d like that wouldn’t he?  Notice how quickly he blows through this point hoping we won’t see how far it is from being a reasonable compromise.This guy is trying to sell himself and Jesus as moderate liberals, when both are subversive anti-intellectuals seeking only to expand their flock by any means necessary.

[ Edited: 08 September 2012 16:24 by TheCoolinator]

toombaru
Joined  12-11-2010

09 September 2012 12:00

TheCoolinator - 08 September 2012 04:22 PM

I would like to address two points the theistic liberal made in the posted video.

1. Jesus spoke in parable and metaphor and gave liberal teachings.  Let me offer a direct quote of Jesus as relayed to us by Matthew 5:17-19:

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one title shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus, therefore, explicitly and strongly endorses the whole of the Old Testament in very plain language.  We need not interpret any metaphor here. 

2. He has no problem with teaching creationism in biology so long as evolution is taught in Bible study.  He’d like that wouldn’t he?  Notice how quickly he blows through this point hoping we won’t see how far it is from being a reasonable compromise.This guy is trying to sell himself and Jesus as moderate liberals, when both are subversive anti-intellectuals seeking only to expand their flock by any means necessary.

Jesus can be a role model for liberals and conservatives.
He can be just about anything you want.

Majority of One

Majority of One
Total Posts:  51
Joined  26-06-2009

13 September 2012 20:08

I basically liked this video up until the very last sentence.

I didn’t become an atheist because of fundies. I became one because the whole thing makes ZERO sense.

I liked it though because it is a start. It is a drop in a growing bucket of water that will soon be full and can then be thrown on the heads of the theists. (how’s that for a metaphor?)