Recreating Chromosome 2

ibanezerscrooge

ibanezerscrooge
Total Posts:  83
Joined  23-01-2012

14 January 2013 14:27

I was thinking about this the other day. Just how unethical would it be for a genetics experiment where chromosomes 2a and 2b in chimps were fused in the lab to create a chromosome 2 situation and then put that into an egg/sperm cell and implant it in a chimpanzee for incubation?

The point of the experiment would test the viability of the fusion. I think the 98% similarity of human and chimp DNA would give it validity.

Is this something that could happen in the real world or should it be left to the realm of science fiction?

On that note, I thought it would make a more plausible cause for the planet of the apes movies rather than the “brain juice” cause that they try and sell.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  15841
Joined  15-02-2008

14 January 2013 16:32

ibanezerscrooge - 14 January 2013 01:27 PM

I was thinking about this the other day. Just how unethical would it be for a genetics experiment where chromosomes 2a and 2b in chimps were fused in the lab to create a chromosome 2 situation and then put that into an egg/sperm cell and implant it in a chimpanzee for incubation?

The point of the experiment would test the viability of the fusion. I think the 98% similarity of human and chimp DNA would give it validity.

Is this something that could happen in the real world or should it be left to the realm of science fiction?

On that note, I thought it would make a more plausible cause for the planet of the apes movies rather than the “brain juice” cause that they try and sell.

egg/sperm cells are worthless and die if not used so I don’t see a problem. If the developing monkey was mutated and suffering that would be the issue I think.