CONCEPTION TO BIRTH - awe inspiring visualizations

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  7259
Joined  20-02-2006

20 January 2013 17:49

Awe inspiring visualizations:

http://www.ted.com/talks/alexander_tsiaras_conception_to_birth_visualized.html

Move forward to 1.55 minutes if you don’t have time for Tsiaras’s introduction.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  19405
Joined  11-03-2007

20 January 2013 18:04

Yeah, move beyond that introduction because in it he blasphemes and questions how the marvel of conception, gestation and birth could happen without divinity.  You don’t need to hear that.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19785
Joined  20-07-2007

20 January 2013 18:58

Ecurb Noselrub - 20 January 2013 05:04 PM

Yeah, move beyond that introduction because in it he blasphemes and questions how the marvel of conception, gestation and birth could happen without divinity.  You don’t need to hear that.

It occurs.  In small dogs, cats, rats and plants; no to mention a million or so other life forms.  No divinity need to be postulated to explain it, but by all means that’s a comforting idea.  Life forms also develop cancer and other life-ending events occur prematurely; no divinity needs o be conjured for that either.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

20 January 2013 19:12

Dennis Campbell - 20 January 2013 05:58 PM

no divinity needs o be conjured for that either.

Alexander Tsiaras appears to disagree, and he was on TED.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

20 January 2013 19:18

The AOL blurb that called my attention to this presentation suggested moving ahead - probably thinking of the hurried impatience of many viewers.  I did listen to his introduction, but didn’t notice the part you mention.  Maybe I was adjusting the volume.  I did notice the religious tone of the background music and it didn’t distract me from the marvel.

Here, if you have time to read it, is H.D. Thoreau on science:

(March 5, 1853 - Concord, Massachusetts)  “The secretary of the Association for the Advancement of Science requests me, as he probably has thousands of others, by a printed circular letter from Washington the other day, to fill the blank against certain questions, among which the most important one was what branch of science I was specially interested in, using the term science in the most comprehensive sense possible.  Now, though I could state to a select few that department of human inquiry which engages me, and should be rejoiced at an opportunity to do so, I felt that it would be to make myself the laughing-stock of the scientific community to describe or attempt to describe to them that branch of science which specially interests me, inasmuch as they do not believe in a science which deals with the higher law.  So I was obliged to speak to their condition and describe to them that poor part of me which alone they can understand.  The fact is I am a mystic, a transcendentalist, and a natural philosopher to boot.  Now I think of it, I should have told them at once that I was a transcendentalist.  That would have been the shortest way of telling them that they would not understand my explanations.

“How absurd that, though I probably stand as near to nature as any of them, and am by constitution as good an observer as most, yet a true account of my relation to nature should excite their ridicule only!  If it had been the secretary of an association of which Plato or Aristotle was the president, I should not have hesitated to describe my studies at once and particularly.”  (end quote)

You might use the word ‘divinity’, Thoreau might use the term ‘higher law’, and I might use another term.

More than a thousand years ago Xiatang said, “Rivers, lakes, birds, trees, and forests all invoke Buddha, Truth, and Communion.”  Why try to squeeze it into the Christian vernacular or imagine that only Jesus brushed against the wonder of it all?

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

20 January 2013 19:19

Ecurb Noselrub - 20 January 2013 06:12 PM
Dennis Campbell - 20 January 2013 05:58 PM

no divinity needs o be conjured for that either.

Alexander Tsiaras appears to disagree, and he was on TED.

And that is suppose to decide me?  An authority speaks and the frontal lobes are by-passed.  Great images to be sure.

[ Edited: 20 January 2013 19:49 by Dennis Campbell]

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

20 January 2013 19:22

Dennis Campbell - 20 January 2013 06:19 PM

And that is suppose to decide me?  An authority speaks and the frontal lobes are by-passed.

I didn’t really expect it to have much impact on you.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

20 January 2013 19:48

Ecurb Noselrub - 20 January 2013 06:22 PM

And that is suppose to decide me?  An authority speaks and the frontal lobes are by-passed.

You’re right, but loved the images.

cunjevoi

cunjevoi
Total Posts:  720
Joined  31-08-2011

20 January 2013 20:11

In contemplating the complexity of biological structures, Tsiaris states: “it’s hard not to attribute divinity”.

That’s all.

It was not necessarily an assertion, even of his personal belief, let alone any scientific findings.

Amazing imagery - and the speed and complexity is awesome.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  6058
Joined  15-02-2007

20 January 2013 21:00

Dennis Campbell - 20 January 2013 06:48 PM
Ecurb Noselrub - 20 January 2013 06:22 PM

You’re right, but loved the images.

Appeal to authority rarely works.  Especially when one recognizes that it is an informal logical fallacy.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

20 January 2013 21:06

cunjevoi - 20 January 2013 07:11 PM

In contemplating the complexity of biological structures, Tsiaris states: “it’s hard not to attribute divinity”.

That’s all.

It was not necessarily an assertion, even of his personal belief, let alone any scientific findings.

Amazing imagery - and the speed and complexity is awesome.

One can, and should, be awed.  I am awed by images of the universe via Hubble.  None of that awe serves as a basis for postulating some sentient entity having created it.  Even if that is granted, that such an entity (1) has some special regard for humanity who occupy one of billions of planets, in one of billions of galaxies, or (2) promulgates some coherent system of morality that is interpreted in so many conflicting ways by humanity, or (3) that some one or few self-proclaimed people have an exclusive pipeline to that entity, of the 7 or so billion people alive today….all that is I admit beyond my grasp.

[ Edited: 20 January 2013 21:20 by Dennis Campbell]

goodgraydrab

goodgraydrab
Total Posts:  7845
Joined  19-12-2007

21 January 2013 13:11

“It was hard not to attribute divinity to it,” but he opted for ‘magic” instead.

eudemonia

eudemonia
Total Posts:  9031
Joined  05-04-2008

21 January 2013 14:54

I’m still trying to figure out why there are 350,000 species of beetles and why bacteria evolve every 20 minutes.

Talk about divine intervention.

Those things make human birth seem trivial in my view.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

21 January 2013 16:46

Epaminondas - 21 January 2013 01:54 PM

I’m still trying to figure out why there are 350,000 species of beetles and why bacteria evolve every 20 minutes.

Talk about divine intervention.

Those things make human birth seem trivial in my view.

Recently, on a PBS science program, I heard that there are more stars in the universe than there are grains of sand in all the deserts and all the beaches on our planet.  This suggests that the Christian creator has a thing for quantity.  I would have thought that just half that number would be enough to keep him busy.

As for the beetles, keep in mind that we haven’t found them all yet.  If you have the price of a ticket to the Pantanal de Sao Lourenco you yourself could make that 350,006 before succumbing to malaria or getting pierced by a poisoned arrow.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14433
Joined  24-12-2004

21 January 2013 18:36

Yup ... we all start out as some kind of strange, alien, worm/lizard kind of thing without any volition at all to our own development into fragile little mutant humans with giant heads.

I found it interesting how Tsiaras attributed volition and conscious communication to cellular structures and chemical interactions, even if for the purpose of illustration. Maybe that has something to do with his sense of divinity being involved. We are pretty emotionally attached and deeply invested in the end result, after all.

eudemonia

eudemonia
Total Posts:  9031
Joined  05-04-2008

21 January 2013 19:54

The tool kit genes for all mammals are pretty much the same. A process called gastrulation, fairly early on decides if we have anuses separate from our mouths and on the opposite end. And of course we still have gill slits early on as well, but they disappear later.

Embryology and the new science of EVO-DEVO (Evolutionary Developmental Biology) is just pretty damned intriguing! It’s pretty cool to understand that we evolved from fish, IMO.