1 2 > 

Dread

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  6090
Joined  15-05-2009

24 September 2017 18:09

I feel the same dread I felt while watching Colin Powell delineate the Bush Administration’s reasons for attacking Iraq to the UN.  What can we common citizens do?  (I have discovered that a citizen cannot email VP Mike Pence or Cabinet members directly—just general delivery to the White House.  Why is that?) 

Yesterday the N Korean foreign minister called a strike against the US mainland “inevitable.”  Meanwhile, Trump jetted to Florida, and his wife went to Canada.  He tweeted more insulting threats.  Not only is Kim a “rocket man,” but now a “little rocket man.”  It feels like a remake of the Cuban missile crisis with amateur actors ad libbing.

Is anyone else losing sleep over this lunacy like I am?

EN

EN
Total Posts:  19532
Joined  11-03-2007

24 September 2017 19:26

“Dread” is becoming a constant emotion during this administration.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5452
Joined  25-08-2009

24 September 2017 19:53

EN - 24 September 2017 07:26 PM

The dread is that so many of my countrymen think Trump is good.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5452
Joined  25-08-2009

24 September 2017 19:57

I hate to be redundant, but
the problem stems from FOX news.
There can be no reasonable discussion when people form opinion based on propaganda that is presented as news (fact).

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  8645
Joined  20-10-2006

24 September 2017 21:06

jdrnd - 24 September 2017 07:57 PM

I hate to be redundant, but
the problem stems from FOX news.
There can be no reasonable discussion when people form opinion based on propaganda that is presented as news (fact).

Fox sells what sells, and hate, division, and fear sell well.  When you were a kid and afraid of the dark, it didn’t matter what your parents said, the dread stayed.  Reinforcing the dread sells better than, “Oh, baby, don’t worry.  Your fears are unfounded.  Look under the bed with me and you will see nothing there.”

I told my youngest that his stuffed animals would protect him, especially the five foot long alligator, Fred, which was in the bed with him.  It worked.  Fox does that, too.  People want their fears confirmed, not explained away.  After all, if the worst happens then one may say, “I told you so,” as if that makes the matter better.  But if the fear is unrealized then the whole episode is forgotten. 

How many of Fox’s predictions came true?  I don’t know, but if the ratio is 1:100 I wouldn’t be surprised.

MrRon

MrRon
Total Posts:  1500
Joined  14-08-2008

25 September 2017 03:25

jdrnd - 24 September 2017 07:53 PM

Exactly. The 60 minutes piece last night about political division in the country bears that out. Eight months of scandal, legislative failures, inefficiency, and divisive rhetoric by the most unfit person to ever hold the office has not dissuaded most Trump supporters one bit. In fact, one of the panel on the show put it this way when asked to evaluate how Trump is doing… “I LOVE it! And every day I love Trump more and more!”

So THAT’s what we’re up against.

Ron

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Joined  15-05-2009

25 September 2017 06:45

We can’t blame it all on FOX News.  I think we’re living in a period of values transition as dramatic as that of the Civil War.  The ease of communication and info sharing has erupted into a gigantic discussion of everything.  The core of the international arguments is tribal values versus universal values.  Trump defends tribalism.  He prides himself on being a rogue, but he wants everyone else to toe the line. 

First, immediately, we need more Senators willing to speak out for sanity on Korea, like John McCain has done on health care legislation.  Privately, they should stage an intervention.  Appear before the President and firmly tell him that he is undermining US credibility and damaging alliances.  I am hoping that Republican losses in the 2018 election will make this obvious.  Sure, the news can always find people who still support Trump.  But polls have him below 40% in approval, and he has energized the opposition.

Second, in the long term, we may need more checks and balances on the President’s ability to mobilize the machinery of war, even when it is not called “war.”  The current nuclear protocols do not take into account the possibility that the President would ever be a loose cannon with loose screws.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  2362
Joined  26-03-2013

25 September 2017 09:01

The dread has spread and become everyone’s problem.  Same as it ever was.  Political conversations at this forum always seem to stem from the American perspective.  And that’s fine considering many patrons are, in fact, United States citizens.  There is, however, often the assumption that everyone who turns up here is automatically American.  When, and if, they divulge they are not they are the ones are who viewed as being different.  They are the foreigner.  They have the language impediment.  This is problematic and isolationist.  Whether it’s intentional or not.  It makes the American perspective myopic which is hardly exceptional.  The so called foreigners are often arriving with a great deal of insight.  Insight worth listening to.  Just an observation. 

In last night’s installment of the Vietnam documentary, on PBS, they mentioned that the country hadn’t been as divided since the American Civil War.  It was 1968.  When I initially began posting at this forum the topic of civil disobedience arose and I was told it was no longer necessary.  That the rights of blacks and women and gays was established and those problems were solved.  When I suggested the matter was far from settled was laughed at as though that was crazy.  Twas a done deal for blacks and women and gays, I was told.  A veritable fait accompli.  And when I stated the symbolic power of a raised fist in the air, representing human solidarity, was told “fists are for fighting” and was just plain wrong. 

A few short years later and look around look around.  And just like in 1968 the dread has spread to Paris and London and Berlin and Manila.  The difference is that in 1968 there wasn’t the internet connecting us all and enabling this form of communication.  Providing a space for people to congregate from countries throughout the world and share the perspectives nobody hears.  Where anyone with access can pipe up and state their case for whatever it’s worth.  The more things spin out of control the more crucial these honest conversations become.  That way, when outrageous and inaccurate false assumptions spill out into the information superhighway, we’ll know precisely when it’s time to speak up.   

Like when I tried to.  And nobody said a word.

[ Edited: 25 September 2017 09:06 by LadyJane]

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Joined  15-05-2009

25 September 2017 11:48

I agree with LJ above.  It is pretty normal to hang out with people like yourself and talk in echos.  Obviously, we are hearing more voices now, which is good.  Some people find it invigorating; others, scary.

For me, the shake up really started when I began frequenting the places where the ragged people go.  Not of my own volition, but in the efforts to help a relative.  Now I notice more of these raggeds, as they make their way around town.  They are not so easy for me to dismiss as before.  When I think about the health care battle here in the US, I think not just of my family and my social class, but of these raggeds.  Better late than never?

The US is not the best place in the world.  We have much to be proud of, along with many serious problems.  A President like Obama was able to accept that, to try to build on our strengths, while not shirking from our troubles.  Someone like Trump is the opposite, declaring again and again that our ways are the best ways.  That military might makes right. 

Sometimes I feel that the US is like a high school football hero grown middle-aged and paunchy.  We rest on the laurels of our founders and a few brilliant leaders across 2-and-a-half centuries.  We are not led by the likes of George Washington nor Thomas Jefferson any more.  We desperately need a Lincoln to give voice to our better angels.  The US will be a has-been, if we continue on this course.  If we cannot engage in the world community with open minds, instead of hubris and fear. 

Surveys show that much of the younger generation understands this better than their elders.  If enough of them can roll up their sleeves and tear their eyes away from social media, there is hope.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  7306
Joined  20-02-2006

25 September 2017 12:57

jdrnd - 24 September 2017 07:53 PM

Who are these people who think Trump is good?  Is there an undercurrent of white men who resent that 75% of NFL players are black?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kg8FoYE1lc

http://www.ozy.com/the-huddle/which-leader-snubbed-jesse-owens-hint-it-wasnt-hitler/71998

[ Edited: 25 September 2017 13:08 by unsmoked]

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  5679
Joined  31-01-2012

25 September 2017 14:56

When America was great again, a lot of people were in dreadful situations. But fear not, that’s not dread. It’s just fear.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Joined  15-05-2009

25 September 2017 15:06

Jb8989 - 25 September 2017 02:56 PM

When America was great again, a lot of people were in dreadful situations. But fear not, that’s not dread. It’s just fear.

Well, I don’t fear the social changes of the recent decades.  I fear Trump will start WWIII.  What a terrible squandering of opportunities, resources, and lives.

NL.

NL.
Total Posts:  5501
Joined  09-11-2012

25 September 2017 16:30

hannahtoo - 25 September 2017 11:48 AM

Sometimes I feel that the US is like a high school football hero grown middle-aged and paunchy.  We rest on the laurels of our founders and a few brilliant leaders across 2-and-a-half centuries.  We are not led by the likes of George Washington nor Thomas Jefferson any more.  We desperately need a Lincoln to give voice to our better angels.  The US will be a has-been, if we continue on this course.  If we cannot engage in the world community with open minds, instead of hubris and fear.

Naw, we are just over a couple of hundred years old - a baby in terms of countries. We don’t really have laurels to rest on yet, if we peaked after a couple hundred years (which I don’t think we have,) it was a bubble at best. I do think that right now we suffer from an ever shrinking center though, where increasingly extreme voices on either side become the public face of that party - giving everyone something easy to rail about if they look at the news and want to say “See what they did!” - which of course only reinforces the idea that only one’s own party is sane and should be protected no matter what warts it has, thus defending extreme voices as “Oh, it’s a problem but not as bad as…” and perpetuating the cycle.

I don’t know what it will take to rebuild trust in the moderate center. Perhaps it’s already there more than people think and things just look sensationalized when viewed in headlines. Perhaps a long intellectual battle over future paradigms and directions. Perhaps some charismatic do-gooders who are devoted to bridge building… I think that’s an open question at this point. The positions of the Left and Right have shifted a lot over the past decade in ways that don’t always align (speaking in broad strokes, for example, not about any individual member - the Left has become somewhat pro-military while becoming somewhat anti-law enforcement, a position that doesn’t play well to those communities, who often feel identified in values; the Right has become non-interventionist while supporting military spending over social development spending, also a rather contradictory position,) and I feel like they will have to continue shuffling until they settle into something socially cohesive that aligns with both their party goals and their base.

I dunno. I hear people giving a lot of very scary warnings these days. We’re on the brink of a nuclear apocalypse. This is a “The Death Throes of the Republic” situation. We’re headed for Civil War. I like to think these are more or less melodramatic, but I also think it says something disturbing that people are even throwing around these ideas. I think this is all further complicated by how quickly the world shrank in size, and how much more globalization features in any conversation now.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  5679
Joined  31-01-2012

26 September 2017 10:57

hannahtoo - 25 September 2017 03:06 PM

Well, I don’t fear the social changes of the recent decades.  I fear Trump will start WWIII.  What a terrible squandering of opportunities, resources, and lives.

He’s just not that powerful. Despite being in the position of being the leader of the free world, he’s ironically still a joke.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  7306
Joined  20-02-2006

26 September 2017 11:30

Jb8989 - 26 September 2017 10:57 AM

He’s just not that powerful. Despite being in the position of being the leader of the free world, he’s ironically still a joke.

The Madman Theory:  https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/10/02/the-madman-theory-of-north-korea?mbid=nl_170925_Monday&CNDID=22703678&spMailingID=12001896&spUserID=MTMzMTc5ODQyMDEwS0&spJobID=1242187955&spReportId=MTI0MjE4Nzk1NQS2

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  21-10-2016

26 September 2017 12:03

Jb8989 - 26 September 2017 10:57 AM

Trump is NOT the leader of the free world !!!

[ Edited: 26 September 2017 13:23 by Jan_CAN]

1 2 >