Liberation Unleashed, is it a cult?

newborn

newborn
Total Posts:  1
Joined  11-06-2010

02 October 2012 13:28

liberationunleashed.com

Ive heard they are like a “persuasion” cult? What are your thoughts?

completion

completion
Total Posts:  1
Joined  22-10-2012

22 October 2012 10:07

Liberation Unleashed is about the illusory nature of the self. It’s not a cult. See Sam’s discussion of the illusion of self here:

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/the-illusion-of-the-self2

JustTheWay

JustTheWay
Total Posts:  5
Joined  26-07-2015

26 July 2015 07:32

Those people are attached to the no-self idea, but this is only the first step and some I think take it as the least step but they can help you realize and gain insight into no self.

Anatta is first step in terms of sravaka realization.

[ Edited: 27 July 2015 01:25 by JustTheWay]

dharmaresearcher

dharmaresearcher
Total Posts:  5
Joined  20-01-2015

17 November 2015 16:39

Looking at the actual networking members of Liberation Unleashed, it looks like the teachers are independent or iconclastic type teachers, mostly freely roaming without a set group behind them. (So it appears anyway.)  They are mostly in the so called “neo-Advaita” and “radical Dzogchen” movements, operating outside of formal and traditional lineages:

http://liberationunleashed.com/friends-of-lu/

jimrich

jimrich
Total Posts:  38
Joined  20-04-2017

21 April 2017 00:42

newborn - 02 October 2012 01:28 PM

liberationunleashed.com
Ive heard they are like a “persuasion” cult? What are your thoughts?

I got involved with them, had a Guide who began asking me the “questions”, made a little progress towards the “no me” state or realization but then gave my guide some answers he didn’t like so he told me to take a few days off so I quit them!  Later on, I tried the process again and found myself being attacked by several of the Guides using their “Zen Stick” style of abuse so i objected and the head woman, Ilona sent me a very blistering, insulting and threatening message so I dropped out before blasting her in the a** for her ignorant and rotten attitude.  It was a pretty sickening experience for me but it might work for someone else.  They ask a lot of questions designed to “wake you up”.  My Guide was kind and friendly but not personal at all.  When I gave him answers he didn’t like, he kind of dumped me instead of working with me on the questions.  I’ve since come to learn way more about letting go of the ‘me’ from Tony Parsons and Jim Newman and some others.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  14481
Joined  17-12-2006

17 June 2017 09:25

The first four messages here, all from new members, seem to be trolling for new members for the cult.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  4447
Joined  28-05-2009

18 June 2017 23:05

‘Cult’ is a problematic basket term that I try to avoid if possible. It’s often invoked as poison in the well to discredit a source of information. If I had to isolate the concept of cult I’d say it’s an organization or ideology that tries to insulate itself from criticism and disagreement…. often by calling other groups names like…. well…. you know.