1 2 3 >  Last ›

The Rose Covered Potty

TheBrotherMario

TheBrotherMario
Total Posts:  4488
Joined  02-04-2011

01 July 2011 09:30

Look at the Rose. What do you see?

I see a glorious flower, unlike any other. I see beauty held up by a stem of thorns, which, to me adds to its beauty in a profound way, beyond the simple glance. If I get pricked by these thorns when I attempt to smell a rose, I see beauty fighting back because it has been plucked from its life source.

Only a cynic looks at the thorns and ignores the rose. Only a fool looks at the thorns and does not see the depth of beauty they create.

Look at life. What do you see? A failed experiment by a heartless God? Ugly suffering and death?

Project Reason is filled with cynics and fools armed with superficial thoughts to fight a battle that does not exist.

[ Edited: 31 July 2011 13:49 by Nhoj Morley]

globalvalue

globalvalue
Total Posts:  50
Joined  29-06-2011

01 July 2011 15:52

I see a wonderful story about a charismatic man, Jesus, who believed that he really was God’s annointed one. He believed that he was the “son of man” of Daniel 7 who would be given the kingdom. [Daniel 7:14] He fully expected that before he died on the Roman cross, God would send seven legions of angels to rescue him and place him on David’s throne. But at his last breath. Jesus realized that it was all a delusion…..frustrated and disappointed he cried out….“MY GOD, MY GOD, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME?”

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19785
Joined  20-07-2007

01 July 2011 16:33

globalvalue - 01 July 2011 01:52 PM

I see a wonderful story about a charismatic man, Jesus, who believed that he really was God’s annointed one. He believed that he was the “son of man” of Daniel 7 who would be given the kingdom. [Daniel 7:14] He fully expected that before he died on the Roman cross, God would send seven legions of angels to rescue him and place him on David’s throne. But at his last breath. Jesus realized that it was all a delusion…..frustrated and disappointed he cried out….“MY GOD, MY GOD, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME?”

Bummer

can zen

can zen
Total Posts:  1944
Joined  23-07-2009

03 July 2011 06:28

TheBrotherMario - 01 July 2011 07:30 AM

I see a glorious flower, unlike any other. I see beauty held up by a stem of thorns, which, to me adds to its beauty in a profound way, beyond the simple glance. If I get pricked by these thorns when I attempt to smell a rose, I see beauty fighting back because it has been plucked from its life source.

The idea that “beauty fights back because it has been plucked from its life source” is giving a lot of magical power to beauty.  Maybe that’s the way the world works from your perspective, but the validity of your statement is highly doubtful.  I too see beauty in the rose, but I don’t think that beauty can get its revenge on me for plucking a rose.  You are taking this line of animating the concept (of beauty) with intentions way too far, that’s why you are a theist and I am not!

saralynn

saralynn
Total Posts:  9177
Joined  29-01-2010

04 July 2011 11:34

I suppose you can see beauty in everything if you try hard enough.  It helps to wear blinders.

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Total Posts:  6576
Joined  23-05-2008

04 July 2011 12:51

When I see the roses I see their beauty too. Their scent sends me. Roses are exquisite. But there is much more to admire beyond their form and colour and scent.

I see an ancient plant now modified by human ingenuity so that what was once a bush with rather drab and sparse blooms is now seen in myriad varieties and hues and perfumes, their flowers fuller and more beautiful than ever before.

But then, with your mind’s eye, look deeper. What we find is even more wondrous. There, in the leaves, microscopic chloroplasts, the little factories where the almost miraculous process of photosynthesis is carried out, where CO2 is drawn from the atmosphere molecule by molecule and, using the energy provided by the nuclear reactions going on in the sun, is fixed as carbohydrate to make the rose bush grow and bloom according to its genetic code, its DNA. All this and so much more just adds to the wonder and the beauty.

And guess what?  It all happens without anything spooky going on. That we can understand all this and more and appreciate the beauty of it is simply the most wonderful phenomenon I know of. It fills me with awe and wonder. When nature can do all this who needs little gods? Andf for what?

To make us feel superior to non-believers?

Nonsense, I say!

[ Edited: 04 July 2011 14:27 by robbrownsyd]

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Joined  23-05-2008

04 July 2011 12:56

What a pity BM had to destroy with supernatural bullshit what started as, might have been, a lovely meditation on the rose. Religion poisons everything!

nv

nv
Total Posts:  7998
Joined  29-04-2005

04 July 2011 13:02

TheBrotherMario - 01 July 2011 07:30 AM

I see a glorious flower, unlike any other. I see beauty held up by a stem of thorns, which, to me adds to its beauty in a profound way, beyond the simple glance. If I get pricked by these thorns when I attempt to smell a rose, I see beauty fighting back because it has been plucked from its life source. . . .

You’ve let your imagination roam, Mario, into the overused unfortunately. Will you be waxing eloquent on apple pie, as well? In the past six months, I’ve pruned-out and poured acetone on three mature rose bushes. I still have one small one and another big one. I think I’ll let the small one live out the rest of the season. For the big one, thanks for the reminder. It’s off to the acetone store for me—I wonder if anything will be open today.

Why the thornicide? I prefer fruit trees, grape vines, tomato plants and other producers of things to eat. If you don’t produce, get the hell offa my property. Aesthetics? Poetry? Bah, humbug.

Sorry, Mario. Nicely done, actually.

saralynn

saralynn
Joined  29-01-2010

04 July 2011 13:36

I hate the smell of roses.  It reminds me of funerals. It amuses me that elderly ladies are prone to wearing flowery scents, as if they are readying themselves for their demise.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  4483
Joined  28-05-2009

04 July 2011 13:49

I love roses so much that I feel entitled to curse at you all.

saralynn

saralynn
Joined  29-01-2010

04 July 2011 13:58

BB: I love roses so much that I feel entitled to curse at you all.

grin 

I, too, noticed how he started out so poetically, then ended up sniping. 

That’s Mario!

burt

burt
Total Posts:  14551
Joined  17-12-2006

04 July 2011 15:06

I stuck my nose
Into a Rose
Got high on the scent
Got real bent
Rosebud…...

“The Rose cried: ‘I am generous of largess
And laughter.  Laughingly my petals blow
Across the world;  the ribbons of my purse
Snap and its load of coin flies everywhere.’

Before Fate springs her ambush for your life,
Command our tavern-lad to fetch you drink.
Fool, your dry corpse will be no treasure trove
For proud posterity to disinter!

Think of this world as modeled at your whim,
Perfectly trimmed for you from East to West;
Yet know yourself a snowdrift on the sand
Heaped for two days or three, then thawed and gone.”

saralynn

saralynn
Joined  29-01-2010

04 July 2011 15:42

Burt:
I stuck my nose
Into a Rose
Got high on the scent
Got real bent
Rosebud:...

Rose must have been quite a gal.

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Joined  23-05-2008

04 July 2011 15:42

Mario, Mario, wherefore art thou, Mario?
‘Tis but woo that is thy enemy:
Thou art thyself, though, not theist woo.
What’s theist woo? Not hand nor foot,
Nor arm nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O be some other name!
What’s in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet;
So Mario would, were he not theist call’d,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title woo. Mario, doff thy woo,
and for it, which is no natural part of thee,
Take all thyself for thee.

[ Edited: 04 July 2011 15:45 by robbrownsyd]

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Joined  23-05-2008

04 July 2011 15:44

saralynn - 04 July 2011 01:42 PM

Burt:
I stuck my nose
Into a Rose
Got high on the scent
Got real bent
Rosebud:...

Rose must have been quite a gal.

Obviously, Burt does nothing by half measure.

laoyu

laoyu
Total Posts:  1
Joined  05-07-2011

05 July 2011 01:41

By any other word would smell as sweet;
So Mario would, were he not theist call’d,

1 2 3 >  Last ›