1 2 3 >  Last ›

New Forum Guidelines Discussion Thread

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  5423
Joined  22-02-2005

04 June 2016 22:26

This thread is for comments about those new guidelines.

Shane Optima

Shane Optima
Total Posts:  99
Joined  13-01-2016

04 June 2016 23:04

Rule #3: Language restrictions are a matter of personal taste. But who’s? Not yours.

Words used on the forum will have some restrictions. They won’t be based on our whims or prudishness. We will use a simple to follow standard. If it is a word The Boss (Sam Harris) uses routinely, then it is fine here. If The Boss doesn’t use it, then we don’t and mods will delete their appearance. No shit (not kidding). Repeated appearances will result in being blocked from logging in or, as a last resort, we will delete the patron’s account.

I’m parsing this to mean we’re not supposed to use the word shit?

Well, uh, fuck.

Well, I’m very much a newcomer here but might I suggest an opt-out UBB filter instead? Saves you hassle and makes me less likely to quit in annoyance, which sounds amazingly self-absorbed but I’m going to dance around the trap of false modesty here: if you are at all serious about Rule #7, I am someone you’ll get a kick out of.

But, for example (completely random example), if someone with a taijitu in their avatar says I seem a bit nefarious and uncouth, like a Tai Chi master with unthinking muscle memory I am going to reply “Darkness within darkness, motherfucker.”

Rule #7: Vigorous intellectual combat is allowed and encouraged over forum topics and posters will be judge on their combat readiness.

Posters must be mentally healthy enough to participate in rough and tumble discussions with veteran patrons who can wield dismissiveness like numb chucks. While credibility is earned, civility is expected. Intellectual combat can and will be civilized at this forum. Those deemed unequipped to participate will be removed for their own protection and to avoid any possible liability.

This. 

And please remember to oil your numb chucks in a 20% benzocaine solution every night.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2262
Joined  19-01-2015

04 June 2016 23:42

Nhoj Morley - 04 June 2016 10:26 PM

New rules effective June 21…

Man, I have a lot of cussing to get done before then.
Still, nice to know the deadline, I can plan my insults accordingly !

Shane Optima

Shane Optima
Joined  13-01-2016

04 June 2016 23:58

Rule #9: No poster may carry on in a manner exemplified by The Brother Mario.

For details, see The Dump or The Jar.

Does this include Brother Mario?

Rule #1: Posting must reflect every patron’s best mixed-company behavior.

Our community has more women than ever before. Mods will actively encourage a comfortable forum environment free of misogyny and general men’s-room behavior. Sexual references are not out of bounds but should only appear out of necessity to make a point in a discussion. Patrons can expect a shorter fuse on this issue. Bigotry has not been a problem here but is of course verboten.

Unless we’re making fun of Trump’s penis or some other completely harmless jab at the stronger sex, right?

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5129
Joined  25-08-2009

05 June 2016 05:49

Nhoj Morley - 04 June 2016 10:26 PM

This thread is for comments about those new guidelines.

Wow.

Are there any existing threads that are going to be edited or closed? (Not just talking about the jar and the Dump)

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19784
Joined  20-07-2007

05 June 2016 06:14

Looks doable and quite reasonable to me.  The “proof” will be in the enforcement.  Admins should not have to spend a lot of energy and time admining.  Do suggest Mario NOT be used as a part of any rule but the behavior he expresses should be clearly explicated as a rule basis.  That has been done to some degree in previous rules re thread-jacking, continual denigration of other posters who differ in their views; constant reference to some unquestionable god to justify condemnations, etc.  No poster by name should be a part of any rule.  Threads existing prior to June 21 should remain.

Some forums have a mortuary read-only thread that lists screen names made dead and briefly why.  Serves as a reminder that this forum does not accept anything and that they’re consequences.  Not for ill posters just dead ones executed by the admins.  Might be worth some consideration.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

05 June 2016 06:14

There are existing guidelines still in place. There is no interim anarchy.

No other thread closures or modifications are planned.

As for the language rule, we expect a lot or ruffled feathers. Actually, it is real easy.

If there is word you just need to use or your head will explode and there is any doubt, listen to all The Boss’s podcasts and read all his articles. If you can find your special little word used by The Boss, then you can use it. If not, then don’t. If this seems like a burden, then think of another word and avoid the issue altogether.

Rule #9 means exactly what it says. Joe must find another path if he wishes to participate in the future. One will be provided.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5129
Joined  25-08-2009

05 June 2016 06:19

Rule #2: Thread topics are not limited to Dr. Harris’s material or most recent podcast.
As long as there is enough coverage of The Boss’s stuff.

What is enough coverage?

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

05 June 2016 06:25

Quick PS,

“Rules” should be written as much as possible in a manner not dependent on current admins style of writing.  Don’t be “cute” but boringly clear as possible to anyone who does not know you.  These rules should be clear long after many people here are gone.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

05 June 2016 06:28

When The Boss switches us off for talking about too many other things, that is when the coverage is inadequate.
Currents level are fine. No worries.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

05 June 2016 06:31

Re: PS
That was Mart’s input. My bones will heal. It was a tight needle hole, and this is our best attempt to thread it.

TheBrotherMario

TheBrotherMario
Total Posts:  4488
Joined  02-04-2011

05 June 2016 06:35

“Joe” here ...

When will this “different path” be provided, Nhoj?

The 22nd?

I have no problem engaging in other threads about the topics, sans insults.

And, I guess, sans citing credentials, since you don’t want me to mention my time in a monastery where I sacrificed everything in search for the truth about God, the topic I mostly discuss.

Credentials certainly aren’t important, like if I claim that I can write better songs than you and play guitar better because I strummed a guitar a few times and didn’t like it and don’t really think a guitar is an instrument. So, why would my time in a monastery or philosophy degree matter in discussions about God, right? Got it. Good decision, especially since most of the posters here have no credentials whatsoever in the topics they claim to know so much about. Like how your light fixture experience has made you abhor switching on the “total button” in the quest for truth. Got it.

Anyway ...

When does “Joe” get to experience your profound and different path, ‘cause you deleted a post of Joe’s just yesterday (and probably this one also)?

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

05 June 2016 06:46

Soon, Joe. All will become clear.

Why compare my little sharable hobby with your justification for supernatural knowledge?
My writing and playing is quite limited to my genre. It adds no credibility to my posts. I thought maybe it would be the other way around.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

05 June 2016 07:11

Nhoj Morley - 05 June 2016 06:14 AM

There are existing guidelines still in place. There is no interim anarchy.

No other thread closures or modifications are planned.

As for the language rule, we expect a lot or ruffled feathers. Actually, it is real easy.

If there is word you just need to use or your head will explode and there is any doubt, listen to all The Boss’s podcasts and read all his articles. If you can find your special little word used by The Boss, then you can use it. If not, then don’t. If this seems like a burden, then think of another word and avoid the issue altogether.

Rule #9 means exactly what it says. Joe must find another path if he wishes to participate in the future. One will be provided.

Suggest Rule 9 be “Or anything else the admins find objectionable, such as but not limited to lying, slander; or bad lexical breath.”

TheBrotherMario

TheBrotherMario
Total Posts:  4488
Joined  02-04-2011

05 June 2016 07:14

Hello, Nhoj.

This response to you will be a perfect example of how it will go with me loose in the forum ...

Why did you put “supernatural” before “knowledge”, for (as a skeptic who defines supernatural as outside the natural world not part of the natural world) in doing so you have given yourself an escape plan from my claims about knowledge of God?

Augustine said this: “Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.”

And, when I have told the skeptics here that, for example, the Virgin Birth is naturally possible, for the science exists that makes it possible, skeptics here ignore the science and remain latched onto their ideas of “supernatural” like a baby on his mother’s teat. (Should I have deleted this “teat” part?)

And, my analogy to your song writing and guitar playing is perfect if the topic is on song writing and guitar playing.

I know you were in bands and have been playing guitar for a long time , so when you post your songs and images of your studio, which you have done quite a bit, I see and hear these things with interest.

If I told you that your songs would be better without the information you have provided about your musical background I would be an idiot. (Should I have used a different word than “idiot”? Maybe, “dum-dum”?)

Therefore, if you move my posts about knowing God and experiencing the spirit of God because I also tell a skeptic that I was a Catholic mystic in a monastery (with pictures, maybe), you may be doing something unfair and idio… dumb.

Yes.

This is how it will go.

[ Edited: 05 June 2016 07:50 by TheBrotherMario]

Shane Optima

Shane Optima
Joined  13-01-2016

05 June 2016 15:06

Nhoj Morley - 05 June 2016 06:14 AM

If there is word you just need to use or your head will explode and there is any doubt, listen to all The Boss’s podcasts and read all his articles. If you can find your special little word used by The Boss, then you can use it. If not, then don’t.

So “shit” is disallowed but “fucking” and “bullshit” are ok? Or are we restricting this to Sam’s official podcast only, sans Omer interview?

1 2 3 >  Last ›