1 2 3 >  Last ›

TrollZone

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14358
Joined  24-12-2004

19 December 2016 04:26

Any chance yous could be a bit more aggressive with trolling? Maybe create a TrollZone subject area and let them play there all they want?

I’m specifically talking about the preachers and the dogmabots (seems to be mostly or maybe all dogmabots right now).

I completely understand if it’s just a pain in the arse and unwieldy and that sort of thing, but the signal to noise ratio in here is getting a bit ... well, noisy.

And unfortunately people seem compelled to feed them (or don’t read the name on a new topic before it’s too late).

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  2271
Joined  26-03-2013

19 December 2016 06:30

What criteria goes into assessing trolling?  When patrons come along truly believing in the bullshit they’re peddling is it still considered trolling?  The trouble with a TrollZone is that when regular members are permitted to fill the pages with thoughtless drivel that is the example by which the forum standards are set.  And you’d be holding others to a different standard.  The showcase presented is the very thing that invites and encourages the onlookers it does to participate.  You think this site is still offering a challenging place to play?  Maybe what’s required is something more along the lines of a StupidZone.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Joined  24-12-2004

19 December 2016 07:43

Dogmabots are clearly trolls—mostly what I’m talking about, but I agree completely with your point about different standards (except that this is a private forum about Sam Harris’ and related stuff, and it’s entirely reasonable to set private standards accordingly). It may not be a bad idea to include compulsive troll feeders as well, if on a more lenient and lighter/shorter basis.

Dogmabots are likely to fail the Turing Test, but some may pass by pretending, always very badly, to actually deal with at least some of the content of others’ posts. I say “always” very badly because this would be the main if not only deciding factor—those posters who just plow along never looking up much, or really at anything but the furrow they’re digging. They just make a pointless mess and never really participate ... except that very often they are repeatedly prompted by feeders.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  15652
Joined  15-02-2008

19 December 2016 08:38

This is very a la Dennis who spent 1000’s of posts on who and who isn’t worthy to post here all while presuming that he was and therefore the site deserved better posters. He liked to use the Sam Harris site argument as well, but look at all the people who come here now, most all of them linked from his pod casts, half just to make a comment about his pod casts and leave and the other half nutters. So how about this, maybe we (SH posters) aren’t elite posters, just people, and maybe this isn’t a great site, just a site, and maybe what’s important is what we get out of being here, not who is here.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Joined  24-12-2004

19 December 2016 08:54

Was anything in there intended as an argument against my suggestion GAD?

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4735
Joined  19-08-2010

19 December 2016 09:59

I always think if they are keeping to a single subject on a single thread, then let them have at it, it’s a side show if nothing else.

If they are slathering over many different topics without a change of argument(you are wrong coz “blah” is correct) or any ability to reconsider their position or answer questions, then yes they fail the Turing test and we generally ask them to keep to their jar… or bottle… or whatever!?

We also take guidance from you guys, PM if there is a point or poster you think is questionable, it’s difficult for us two admins to read all posts all of the time.
Well Nhoj might… but I got a life outside my shed. smile

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  5426
Joined  22-02-2005

19 December 2016 11:34

Yep. I agree all around. Time to… think about it.

I’ve been bricked up in the blind since Saturday. Missed a lot. Safari will be over soon. Then we will do something.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5129
Joined  25-08-2009

19 December 2016 12:18

Trolling is in the mind of the reader.

I don’t agree with segregating posters into troll and non-troll groups.

I post here as a form of entertainment.

Sometimes I Troll.

Its fun.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

19 December 2016 12:58

Yes, we know you think trolling is entertainment.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

19 December 2016 13:22

Nhoj Morley - 19 December 2016 12:58 PM

Yes, we know you think trolling is entertainment.

It depends which side of the trolling you’re on.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  2271
Joined  26-03-2013

19 December 2016 15:04

When statements like ‘I’ve done it, it works’ and ‘It’s the scientific consensus, I swear’ are given leeway in lieu of cogent arguments we’re in deep shit.  That never used to fly around here.

Sloppy sloppy thinkings.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Joined  24-12-2004

19 December 2016 16:41

JFTR I don’t feel strongly about my specific OP question, but we do all expect standards to one degree or another. If a highly prolific half a dozen personae showed up here that were all about the KKK having it right, or just to insult women for lulz, I don’t think the idea of doing something about it would be at all controversial.

In any case I can only think of two “participants” in here right now who likely qualify as trolls (of course I don’t like to play with trolls either), but the quality of posting has dropped a good deal over the last few years or so, and LJ is right that our tolerance for sketchy thinking and our compulsion to feed the trolls is ultimately the real problem. Never-the-less, it is getting pretty thick in here. The odds of reading something of value and interest have dropped significantly, and the new wave of noisiness suggests this isn’t going away but is rather more likely to increase. If too many forum members can’t or aren’t inclined to refrain from feeding trolls, they will come to be fed and settle in where they can satisfy their appetites. I don’t think it’s a bad idea to consider how it can be addressed since the obvious, best means is apparently just unavailable, unfortunate as that is.

The bottom line, though, is that the degree to which we feed trolls and coddle or even reward negligent or otherwise irresponsible thinking is the degree to which we choose to let those things set the social climate, online as well as in RL, as recent events here in the US have demonstrated so powerfully. More than anything else I’d just encourage a little sober consideration of that fact.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  5441
Joined  31-01-2012

19 December 2016 17:33

GAD - 19 December 2016 08:38 AM

So how about this, maybe we (SH posters) aren’t elite posters

Nonsense!

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

19 December 2016 17:43

SkepticX - 19 December 2016 04:41 PM

JFTR I don’t feel strongly about my specific OP question, but we do all expect standards to one degree or another.

That’s why I often post about writing clearly and as succinct as possible.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

19 December 2016 17:44

SkepticX - 19 December 2016 04:41 PM

JFTR I don’t feel strongly about my specific OP question, but we do all expect standards to one degree or another.

But who sets the standards?

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

19 December 2016 17:48

Hi there.

1 2 3 >  Last ›