< 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›

TrollZone

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  5431
Joined  31-01-2012

20 December 2016 14:34

LadyJane - 20 December 2016 02:11 PM

That’s a matter of taste.  The thing to do when you don’t want to engage on a particular topic, or with a particular poster, is simply steer clear.  There seems to be a lot of talking at each other in an effort to control the conversation.  Apparently, many patrons feel they have nothing left to learn.  There’s no reason for anyone to interrupt a thread because it’s a discussion they don’t want to have.  That happens all the time.  Whose responsibility is throwing the Rule #6 flag on the field?

I’m guilty of that one. It’s because I only skim read at work. But you’re right, it’s like an intellectual discusion premature ejaculation.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Joined  31-01-2012

20 December 2016 14:40

Dennis Campbell - 20 December 2016 01:50 PM
Jb8989 - 20 December 2016 01:28 PM

Checks and balances on internet discussions in chat forums sounds like a definition nightmare, and a recipe for Dennis-like douchbaggery. (Sorry Dennis but you constantly want to have your cake and eat it to with regard to trolling. And I do too, actually, own it with me my brother from an older mother.)

You can’t judge the net impact of a poster until he’s engaged for a little while. Too often we bombard good newbies like their bad newbies and bad newbies like their trolls because trolls need to be set straight. Right? I’m not sure there’s a way to put a lasso around that. I have some ideas but I also have better things to do. Then again, this is one of my favorite things to do. And it hasn’t gotten any less of one of my favorite things to do. But I think that’s because my face-blindness went digital and is now also post-blindness. I enjoy mirrors. What was I saying? Regs, right! Nhoj, when a poster signs up for the first time, maybe he or she should be forced to introduce themselves on the introduction thread before going anywhere else. The regulars could be tasked with treating that thread with the height of decorum. And assessment for intellectual purposes. No penises! Maybe they need five posts before unlocking their access to the rest of the forum. Although now that I’m talking about this, it sounds a bit iffy. I don’t know. I’ll think on it.

Saw that on another forum, a new poster had to respond to six other posts before being allowed to originate a post; probation, so to speak, and then the mods could lift probation or not with no explanation needed.  Same could be done by being restricted to an Introductory thread before being allowed to go elsewhere.  Whatever means, some mod assertive oversight required.

I guess that my issue with that is that I want Nhoj and Martin to interact with us more but not as mods, as regs. And additional regs (different usage) are a slippery slope because they take away from the environment where the community can imply the proper decorum with their own behavior. The Internet might just make me us a bit childish, at least me. And Sister Dalora always used to say “know the difference between childlike and childish.”

[ Edited: 20 December 2016 14:42 by Jb8989]

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5125
Joined  25-08-2009

20 December 2016 14:55

LadyJane - 20 December 2016 12:16 PM

There should be a way for Mr. Morley, or anyone else for that matter, to refer to trioon during the course of conversations.

There is nothing stopping him or them????

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  2264
Joined  26-03-2013

20 December 2016 15:49

Jb8989 - 20 December 2016 02:34 PM

That’s a matter of taste.  The thing to do when you don’t want to engage on a particular topic, or with a particular poster, is simply steer clear.  There seems to be a lot of talking at each other in an effort to control the conversation.  Apparently, many patrons feel they have nothing left to learn.  There’s no reason for anyone to interrupt a thread because it’s a discussion they don’t want to have.  That happens all the time.  Whose responsibility is throwing the Rule #6 flag on the field?

I’m guilty of that one. It’s because I only skim read at work. But you’re right, it’s like an intellectual discusion premature ejaculation.

The thing is we can’t very well expect new members to jump through hoops that we never did.  Then accuse them of being thin skinned when they don’t.  I think if that had been the standard protocol when I arrived I wouldn’t have wanted to stick around.  Isn’t it preferable to have reasonable bouncers and no cover charge at the door of this gin joint?  Maybe it’s just me. 

Tricky business applying value to something without considering counting the cost.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Joined  31-01-2012

20 December 2016 15:51

LadyJane - 20 December 2016 03:49 PM

The thing is we can’t very well expect new members to jump through hoops that we never did.  Then accuse them of being thin skinned when they don’t.  I think if that had been the standard protocol when I arrived I wouldn’t have wanted to stick around.  Isn’t it preferable to have reasonable bouncers and no cover charge at the door of this gin joint?  Maybe it’s just me. 

Tricky business applying value to something without considering counting the cost.

Maybe we should just use less words with newbies until they’re comfortable.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Joined  31-01-2012

20 December 2016 16:15

The thing is we can’t very well expect new members to jump through hoops that we did.

Also that statement might be inaccurate. Skip literally hit on my wife when I first started.

[ Edited: 21 December 2016 07:58 by Jb8989]

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  2264
Joined  26-03-2013

20 December 2016 16:20

Jb8989 - 20 December 2016 03:51 PM

Maybe we should just use less words with newbies until they’re comfortable.

The way we treat each other in here is what draws patrons in and out.  Like children and animals the most effective way to interact, initially, is by leaving them alone and waiting for them to come to you.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

20 December 2016 16:35

Nhoj Morley - 20 December 2016 10:25 AM

That makes Jeff and Lindoia about equal in my view.

NO WE ARE NOT EQUAL!

An internet Troll purposefully posts inflammatory comments with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response.

I am a Troll.
I purposefully post comments that I know will invoke a response

Lindoia is not.  She believes what she writes. 
Its not her fault that many of us get emotionally upset by what she posts

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

20 December 2016 16:38

The problem is that Lindoia and people like her are unconvincible.
Engaging her is taking part in futile discourse.
No amount of information is going to change their minds.
They have faith

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

20 December 2016 16:40

So the question is
How do you manage futile discussions?

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14356
Joined  24-12-2004

20 December 2016 17:33

jdrnd - 20 December 2016 04:40 PM

So the question is
How do you manage futile discussions?

The question is why one would engage in futile discussion.

Obviously it’s not actually about discussion.

So what is it actually about?

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  15631
Joined  15-02-2008

20 December 2016 17:35

Way to much effort and drama over protecting fragile newbies under the belief that they need protecting because they might might be worth something.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

20 December 2016 17:40

SkepticX - 20 December 2016 05:33 PM

The question is why one would engage in futile discussion.

Because we think that we can convince that person that our way of looking at things is more correct.

...and people of faith have started religious themed threads knowing that the odds of convincing “us” of the value of their arguments is futile.

All of us at various times have jumped into a thread started by someone who is unconvincible.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

20 December 2016 17:42

GAD - 20 December 2016 05:35 PM

Way to much effort and drama over protecting fragile newbies under the belief that they need protecting because they might might be worth something.

but then again, if you don’t make the environment friendly, the SH forum population could dwindle.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19784
Joined  20-07-2007

20 December 2016 17:43

Agree that many if not all of us at times engage in “Troll” behavior, but not as a characteristic.  Those who show up here to “preach” some dogma, and who immediately attack questioning, that’s a different animal. There’s also an argument that responded to or not, dogma preachers (for lack of a better word) contribute to this forum’s appearance, and that concerns me.  Granted, no easy solution, but complete “anything goes” is not acceptable.  Damn, that was not at all useful as a guideline is it?

< 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›