What does this forum stand for?  Do you care?  Who determines that? 

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19784
Joined  20-07-2007

09 May 2017 17:38

What does this forum stand for?  And who determines that?

Re stand for:

1. Rationality
2. Logic
3. Objective referents
4. Civility
5. Skepticism

Re who determines that:

1. Sam Harris who, I’d assume owns this forum.  Maybe as a tax-deduction.
2. All of us taking a position, rather than waving our asses in the air from the top of fences.
3. Our admins, for whom I the greatest respect, who’re hanging out there with minimal explicated or published guidelines, dealing with multitudes of issues.  But, it does help if he/they actually make a decision (a) explicated, (b) clear and (c) enforced as well as (d) enduring.

As a side comment, forums are I think dying to twitter etc..  But maybe they can endure if they’ve some value to some more influential elements of society.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

10 May 2017 14:59

The Brother Mario issue is something of a litmus test.  Is this certifiable poster an acceptable representative of what this forum is?

EN

EN
Total Posts:  19098
Joined  11-03-2007

10 May 2017 19:17

Personally, I like the neighborhood bar analogy.  Regulars come here for their favorite brew and discuss whatever.  Newbies wander in and out.  Others peer in from outside through the windows.  Then there’s that guy over in the corner talking to himself.  What does it all stand for?  A place to come be.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

11 May 2017 06:10

EN - 10 May 2017 07:17 PM

Personally, I like the neighborhood bar analogy.  Regulars come here for their favorite brew and discuss whatever.  Newbies wander in and out.  Others peer in from outside through the windows.  Then there’s that guy over in the corner talking to himself.  What does it all stand for?  A place to come be.

Drinks are lousy but company often good.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  5414
Joined  22-02-2005

11 May 2017 10:43

The forum is its posters. Its mission is exploration… seeing who is out there. It’s like Star Trek, only without a Prime Directive. Please interfere. It’s not as easy as you might think.

Any question of who is acceptable to who is something I can observe. If there was any issue on which all posters took a particular position, the forum would assume it too. I’ll keep an eye out for one. We have anger and desperation in common. So we expanded that section.

As for Joe, there are two points I have trouble with. First, anyone would get that this is a Special Kind of Posting that is in no way representative of The Webby Award Winning Boss. Second, that there is any risk of anyone, newbie or not, coming away with a positive impression. I do not relish semi-abusing a fellow Tull fan, but I also like to put on a diverse and engaging show.

It’s like when they put cars destroyed by drunk drivers on the High School lawn around graduation time. We put a twisted heap mangled by religiousity in plain sight as a similar cautionary beacon. If he was bad at it, I would get someone else. The time and energy expended is better (for all the world) spent here rather than somewhere else.

Each of us posters is, in our own way, a cautionary tale.

Celal

Celal
Total Posts:  2604
Joined  07-08-2011

11 May 2017 21:39

Nhoj Morley - 11 May 2017 10:43 AM

The forum is its posters. Its mission is exploration… seeing who is out there. It’s like Star Trek, only without a Prime Directive. Please interfere. It’s not as easy as you might think.

Any question of who is acceptable to who is something I can observe. If there was any issue on which all posters took a particular position, the forum would assume it too. I’ll keep an eye out for one. We have anger and desperation in common. So we expanded that section.

As for Joe, there are two points I have trouble with. First, anyone would get that this is a Special Kind of Posting that is in no way representative of The Webby Award Winning Boss. Second, that there is any risk of anyone, newbie or not, coming away with a positive impression. I do not relish semi-abusing a fellow Tull fan, but I also like to put on a diverse and engaging show.

It’s like when they put cars destroyed by drunk drivers on the High School lawn around graduation time. We put a twisted heap mangled by religiousity in plain sight as a similar cautionary beacon. If he was bad at it, I would get someone else. The time and energy expended is better (for all the world) spent here rather than somewhere else.

Ironically I seem to understand and agree with your attitude about this forum more than Dennis. Imagine that!  Given you rarely agree with any of my posts you said.

Dennis, doesn’t get the diversity of view point. He reminds me of the Muslim attitudes towards Women. Because Muslims can’t comprehend women shouldn’t have to bag themselves from head to toe just because they don’t have any self control and self responsibility when they OMG see a naked elbow on a woman and they get excited. Likewise, Dennis doesn’t seem to have any self control not being able to read Joe’s posts, so he assumes that’s Joe’s problem.  His solution is, as is the case for fanatic Muslims, ban it!

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  5809
Joined  08-12-2006

12 May 2017 07:14

Nicely put. If you’re not having fun, you’re doing it wrong.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14356
Joined  24-12-2004

12 May 2017 09:59

You forgot the sadistic dude who keeps dropping in just to be a dick and to see if he can under anyone’s skin.

Well ... dudes.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  19098
Joined  11-03-2007

12 May 2017 12:50

SkepticX - 12 May 2017 09:59 AM

You forgot the sadistic dude who keeps dropping in just to be a dick and to see if he can under anyone’s skin.

Well ... dudes.

Yeah, our bouncers are pretty lenient.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5125
Joined  25-08-2009

21 May 2017 08:39

Nhoj Morley - 11 May 2017 10:43 AM

Agree that the forum is its posters.

Nice post

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  5432
Joined  31-01-2012

25 May 2017 06:18

Nhoj sleeps upstairs from the pub. He runs the place with the force. It’s a pot friendly pub where all beer is on tap, and there’s no high shelf or low shelf bottles; just one long shelf with all the greats. There’s also no bartender. If you don’t want to serve yourself, your best bet is to catch someone wandering around who happens to be double fisting.

bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol
Total Posts:  5534
Joined  05-04-2006

08 June 2017 08:47

Yeah, that’s what finally got me to come back. I miss some of the regulars.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4735
Joined  19-08-2010

08 June 2017 09:42

bigredfutbol - 08 June 2017 08:47 AM

Good lad!

Image Attachments

Good_Lad!.jpg

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  2766
Joined  20-11-2013

10 June 2017 09:25

Kinda like “Cheers”.  Does Skep remind you of Cliff Clavin?

bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol
Total Posts:  5534
Joined  05-04-2006

12 June 2017 12:44

bbearren - 10 June 2017 09:25 AM

Kinda like “Cheers”.  Does Skep remind you of Cliff Clavin?

Not at all.