A puff happening in the top end

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Total Posts:  6576
Joined  23-05-2008

24 December 2011 20:46

This little sucker has just blown up for xmas. Hope it goes away. The seas to the north of Ausrtalia are the hottest in the world at the moment -  more than 30 degrees C.  Not good. See http://www.bom.gov.au/

[ Edited: 24 December 2011 20:57 by robbrownsyd]
Image Attachments

little thing developing in the top end.gif

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19785
Joined  20-07-2007

24 December 2011 21:18

Take care.  Things could get nasty if you’re near sea level.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  4481
Joined  28-05-2009

25 December 2011 07:36

I completely misconstrued the intent of this thread.

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Joined  23-05-2008

25 December 2011 09:33

Brick! How could you?

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4744
Joined  19-08-2010

25 December 2011 16:45

Die fröhliche Wissenschaft (Rob) - 25 December 2011 08:33 AM

Brick! How could you?

I too thought it would be about some guy, getting down like a true mofo, at the heights of some extreme!?

A puff(I know not PC), “HAPPENING” (yeah!), In the top end(right up there bro!).

...sad minds we (I) have.

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Joined  23-05-2008

25 December 2011 20:21

Sorryy, guys.  I see the difficulty now. ‘The Top End’ is what Australians call the Northern Territory’. We say ‘The Top End’ and ‘Outback’ ’ just like you would say ‘out west’ or down south’.

English has become so various. An interesting book on that subject I read recently was called Globish by Robert McCrum. All the worl will soon speak English but it will not be the queen’s English. Well, not this queen’s anyway.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Joined  19-08-2010

26 December 2011 06:55

Die fröhliche Wissenschaft (Rob) - 25 December 2011 07:21 PM

Sorryy, guys.  I see the difficulty now. ‘The Top End’ is what Australians call the Northern Territory’. We say ‘The Top End’ and ‘Outback’ ’ just like you would say ‘out west’ or down south’.

English has become so various. An interesting book on that subject I read recently was called Globish by Robert McCrum. All the world will soon speak English but it will not be the queen’s English. Well, not this queen’s anyway.

We tend to take it for granted that people will speak English where ever we go, wonder why?  What does McCrum say?

We have a local dialect here with it’s particular accent called Geordie, it used to be pitmens talk around pit villages but spread as the region grew over a few hundred years. Some of the words used can be traced back to Gaelic and even Scandinavia.

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Joined  23-05-2008

26 December 2011 07:40

That’s one thing that amazes me about a country like the UK. Over very small distances accents change dramaically. Over this relatively small goegraphic area you have this mosaic of distinct accents. You can listen to someone from the UK speak and you can tell where they come from whereas across an entire continent like Australia the accent remains virtually the same.

By the way, I think the geordie accent is lovely.  But it can be hard for outsiders to understand when it’s really strong.  Post a sound file of you speaking, Martin. Hey that would be fun - everyone post a file of them saying the same thing - maybe “Mary had a little lamb…”, or something well known so that we can compare accents and get a feel for what others sound like.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Joined  19-08-2010

26 December 2011 07:59

Ok I will try, never posted a sound file so it might take some head scratching.