1 2 3 >  Last ›

IF GOD EXISTS I HOPE HE HAS A GOOD EXCUSE

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Total Posts:  6576
Joined  23-05-2008

16 March 2012 11:02

Nice to see theists in Australia are getting a poke from this sign on public transport. It has been launched by the Atheist Foundation of Australia Inc to both advertise the GAC and give the public that little poke.

I wonder if run-of-the-mill theists ever turn their minds (for want of a better term) to the question of how god could exist given all the evidence against and the dearth of evidence in favor of such a nonsensical proposition.

I know I used to do so all the time. Maybe I wasn’t a run-of-the-mill theists.

Did your journey out of darkness involve a lot of questiong and self-examination? Or was the transition easy?

Image Attachments

Atheist ad on Melb bus.jpg

saralynn

saralynn
Total Posts:  9181
Joined  29-01-2010

16 March 2012 11:15

ROB: I know I used to do so all the time. Maybe I wasn’t a run-of-the-mill theists.

Did your journey out of darkness involve a lot of questiong and self-examination? Or was the transition easy?

The whole process sucked and still sucks.  I prefer the shade.  However, like you, I wasn’t a run-of-the-mill theist either. Vaguely Hindu-ish, with a touch a Christianity and a whole lot of Buddhism.

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Joined  23-05-2008

16 March 2012 11:38

If it’s any consolation, Saralynn, it does get easier with time and effort.

Keep your chin up, girl.

BTW, love the new photo. You look like a ray of sunshine!

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Joined  23-05-2008

16 March 2012 11:40

Make that a ‘sunburst’!

saralynn

saralynn
Joined  29-01-2010

16 March 2012 11:56

ROB: BTW, love the new photo. You look like a ray of sunshine!

Thanks, but I am already getting sick of that photo.  I want to find one that is more serious, so that I will have more credibility.  Perhaps one of me smoking a pipe, for instance.

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Joined  23-05-2008

16 March 2012 11:58

Noooo! It’s a lovely photo. Leave it. Why be serious when you can be beautiful?

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14481
Joined  24-12-2004

16 March 2012 12:08

saralynn - 16 March 2012 10:56 AM

Thanks, but I am already getting sick of that photo.  I want to find one that is more serious, so that I will have more credibility.  Perhaps one of me smoking a pipe, for instance.

Nah ... go with a big, fat cigar.

Because the pipe might be perceived as a cartoonish Sherlock Holmes kinda schtick, and clearly nothing could go wrong with the big, fat cigar idea.

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Joined  23-05-2008

16 March 2012 13:08

saralynn - 16 March 2012 10:15 AM

ROB: I know I used to do so all the time. Maybe I wasn’t a run-of-the-mill theists.

Did your journey out of darkness involve a lot of questioning and self-examination? Or was the transition easy?

The whole process sucked and still sucks. I prefer the shade.

The shade? No, dear, you need the light. The whole world needs the ‘light’ in ‘enlightenment’.

The light of reason will not burn
But warmeth as the gentle rays of spring
To free the mind which, in its turn,
Doth lift the heart and make it sing.

Sing, Saralynn!

And, in preparation for the next end-of-year festive season, I am composing a atheistmas carol:

Joy to the World
When reason reigns
Let minds and hearts rejoice

Input for next verses would be much appreciated. In fact, finish it for me. The best entry gets a free holiday in Australia. Eventually.

(Conditions in small print to be be provided in the fulness of time; at the appropriate juncture, when the time is ripe… (Think Kiss Hank’s…))

[ Edited: 16 March 2012 13:27 by robbrownsyd]

TheBrotherMario

TheBrotherMario
Total Posts:  4488
Joined  02-04-2011

16 March 2012 13:19

Yeah, if God exists, and when we die we stand before him no longer in a weak human body but in a glorified body with all our family, friends, beloved animals, and the whole human community, we’re sure gonna be pissed off that He did not give us all these things during our brief stay on Earth.

Yeah, I say we ban together and tell God to keep his eternity, snuff out of existence any of our loved ones who are there before Him now, and meet in one place on the planet and commit mass suicide in protest for the suffering and death He is allowing us to go through on our way to eternal bliss.

I mean, atheist Australians are the ones we should be trusting for answers to hidden mysteries about God and eternity, not thousands of years of deep reflection by learned men and women.

Let’s start the petition against God and eternity right here and now, just sign your name below:

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Joined  23-05-2008

16 March 2012 13:29

TheBrotherMario - 16 March 2012 12:19 PM

Yeah, if God exists, and when we die we stand before him no longer in a weak human body but in a glorified body with all our family, friends, beloved animals, and the whole human community, we’re sure gonna be pissed off that He did not give us all these things during our brief stay on Earth.

Yeah, I say we ban together and tell God to keep his eternity, snuff out of existence any of our loved ones who are there before Him now, and meet in one place on the planet and commit mass suicide in protest for the suffering and death He is allowing us to go through on our way to eternal bliss.

I mean, atheist Australians are the ones we should be trusting for answers to hidden mysteries about God and eternity, not thousands of years of deep reflection by learned men and women.

Let’s start the petition against God and eternity right here and now, just sign your name below:

____ Die fröhliche Wissenschaft (Rob_

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  15911
Joined  15-02-2008

16 March 2012 14:22

Die fröhliche Wissenschaft (Rob) - 16 March 2012 10:02 AM

Mine was Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy.

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Joined  23-05-2008

16 March 2012 14:30

Ohhh, GAD!

Seems everything has always been so easy for you. Straight up. I love a strong man who knows where he stands. So butch!

saralynn

saralynn
Joined  29-01-2010

16 March 2012 14:46

SX: Nah ... go with a big, fat cigar.

Because the pipe might be perceived as a cartoonish Sherlock Holmes kinda schtick, and clearly nothing could go wrong with the big, fat cigar idea.

Yeah, right…a big fat cigar.  I’d have to listen to endless jokes about Monica Lewinsky, Penis Envy, and every other phallic reference possible. And please…don’t suggest a photo of me eating a tacos.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  15911
Joined  15-02-2008

16 March 2012 14:50

saralynn - 16 March 2012 01:46 PM

SX: Nah ... go with a big, fat cigar.

Yeah, right…a big fat cigar.  I’d have to listen to endless jokes about Monica Lewinsky, Penis Envy, and every other phallic reference possible. And please…don’t suggest a photo of me eating a tacos.

OMG! Thanks for that, you made my morning!

saralynn

saralynn
Joined  29-01-2010

16 March 2012 15:01

Mario: ......“when we die we stand before him no longer in a weak human body but in a glorified body with all our family, friends, beloved animals…

All our beloved animals?  I’ve loved both dogs and cats, as well a gerbil and a parrot.  They’ll all there?  Will they be barking and meowing and chasing each other?  Or…will they all be lying together like the lion and the lamb?  I would like that.  I guess my family and friends will be perfect, too, which means I might not recognize them.  If their flaws were removed, they wouldn’t be the people whom I love. After all, our flaws are often our virtues, and both make up our personalities.  Also, after we all cheer and pat each other on the back, then what do we do for the rest of eternity? Especially when the earthly delights will be a thing of the past.  No more cold glasses of lemonade on a balmy day at the beach. I hope I will still be able to watch American Idol.

[ Edited: 16 March 2012 19:54 by saralynn]

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Joined  23-05-2008

16 March 2012 15:51

Stylo - 16 March 2012 02:35 PM

Hi Rob,

I wonder if run-of-the-mill theists ever turn their minds (for want of a better term) to the question of how god could exist given all the evidence against and the dearth of evidence in favor of such a nonsensical proposition.

I know I used to do so all the time. Maybe I wasn’t a run-of-the-mill theists.

Hope you don’t mind if I answer your questions in reverse. The journey was (as I’ve said) lonely, which is as it should be. The most important point for me was that I realized I needed to have a willingness to accept findings and conclusions which, in many cases, were contrary to my expectations or beliefs. From my experience, that’s the area where most run=of-the-mill theists have a difficult time. When they find (or are presented with) evidence contrary to their beliefs, they continue trying to stuff ten pounds of shit into a five pound bag, so to speak. Instead of changing the framework in which they view reality, they want to change reality to fit their view.

Hi, Stylo.

Thanks for addressing the question posed in the OP. Apart from GAD, you are the only one to do so.  I too tried for a long time to do the impossible. I eventually had to admit to myself that 10 pounds of shit were never going to fit into a five pound bag.  When I gave up on it I felt much lighter. I was the bag they were trying to stuff shit into. I had to change the framework. I had to adjust my world view so that 1 + 1 could = 2 as it should. After that the fog cleared.

1 2 3 >  Last ›