Athiest Alliance International Conference Sept. 2007

pegk
Total Posts:  4
Joined  20-08-2007

08 October 2007 09:44

Continuing on, Sam Harris made the conference worthwhile.  I thought it was great to liven up the discussions and not just have the continual tired old exposes we have all heard before. I do not agree with him, however, in the sense that because we do not have words for non believers in astrology we therefore should not need words for non believers in gods.  There are not buildings on every corner in every city dedicated to worship and practice of astrology.  Astrologers are not trying to proselytize to my children about how they “must believe this as truth or the will be destined for everlasting punishment.”  Astrologers are not trying to get astrology taught in public school alongside astronomy.  Just my 2 cents.  -Peg

pegk
Total Posts:  4
Joined  20-08-2007

08 October 2007 09:46

Continuing on, Sam Harris made the conference worthwhile.  I thought it was great to liven up the discussions and not just have the continual tired old exposes we have all heard before. I do not agree with him, however, in the sense that because we do not have words for non believers in astrology we therefore should not need words for non believers in gods.  There are not buildings on every corner in every city dedicated to worship and practice of astrology.  Astrologers are not trying to proselytize to my children about how they “must believe this as truth or the will be destined for everlasting punishment.”  Astrologers are not trying to get astrology taught in public school alongside astronomy.  Just my 2 cents.  -Peg

Sandy
Total Posts:  591
Joined  22-11-2005

08 October 2007 09:48

Maybe at the next conference Sam Harris could have his own table with brochures and copies of his books to sell.  WE could then arrange to meet at the table at a specific time. 

Green Bay Packers lost to Chicago 27 to 20.  That proves there is no God.

Sandy
Total Posts:  591
Joined  22-11-2005

20 November 2007 14:53

Slide show of the AAI Convention with lots of nice shots of Sam Harris.

http://www.atheistalliance.org/conventions/2007/photos/phpslideshow.php?directory=.&currentPic=18