Atheists and Foxholes

toombaru
Total Posts:  800
Joined  12-11-2010

18 August 2012 07:54

“There are no atheists in foxholes” should be an argument against faith.

Ice Monkey

Ice Monkey
Total Posts:  140
Joined  11-08-2012

20 August 2012 17:27

It’s certainly an argument in favor of stupidity.

It says far more about the speaker’s superficial position on god then on atheists.  Or fox holes.

rickoshay86

rickoshay86
Total Posts:  17
Joined  13-08-2012

20 August 2012 17:41

toombaru - 18 August 2012 07:54 AM

To me it means you’re so scared you can’t think straight about anything.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it. Thomas Paine 1737 - 1809

QuakePhil
Total Posts:  114
Joined  09-01-2012

27 August 2012 06:21

Pacifism will get you killed.  To that end, foxholes are necessary.

And they will be manned by atheists and theists alike, since it follows that atheist pacifism will get you killed just as much as theist pacifism.

anneyours
Total Posts:  20
Joined  22-09-2012

23 September 2012 20:37

toombaru - 18 August 2012 07:54 AM

Obviously that you’ve defined the word atheist wrong.Anyway,if you’re against Atheist,then I might as well tell you that religious people have sinned and committed mistakes more intolerable than atheist have not done.

GreenInferno

GreenInferno
Total Posts:  68
Joined  20-09-2012

24 September 2012 01:49

There are (hardly) any atheists in prison.

That should be what true moral people are noticing.

Astral Weeks

Astral Weeks
Total Posts:  1
Joined  25-09-2012

25 September 2012 18:31

Ice Monkey - 20 August 2012 05:27 PM

It says far more about the speaker’s superficial position on god then on atheists.  Or fox holes.

I wouldn’t necessarily equate a belief in ‘god’ with stupidity. Perhaps irrationality due to indoctrination from birth, coupled with a seemingly inherent human desire to believe in some greater power that supervises our existence.

Ice Monkey

Ice Monkey
Joined  11-08-2012

25 September 2012 23:16

Astral Weeks - 25 September 2012 06:31 PM

I wouldn’t necessarily equate a belief in ‘god’ with stupidity. Perhaps irrationality due to indoctrination from birth, coupled with a seemingly inherent human desire to believe in some greater power that supervises our existence.

I wasn’t.  I was, however, equating using the quoted statement (refer to the opening post) as an argument with stupidity.  This wasn’t a thread on the belief in a god, but a disbelief in one.

But for the record, I do think a certain level of stupidity contributes to the ongoing worship of imaginary characters.  It’s not the ignorant type of stupidity I ridicule people for.  It’s the self-inflicted stupidity of being presented with overwhelming evidence against your inherited position, and still clinging to it under the guise of faith, and proudly so.  It’s that sort of stupid person I go out of my way to lean on, especially in front of large groups of people.

Ice Monkey

Ice Monkey
Joined  11-08-2012

25 September 2012 23:18

Ice Monkey - 25 September 2012 11:16 PM
Astral Weeks - 25 September 2012 06:31 PM

I wasn’t.  I was, however, equating using the quoted statement (refer to the opening post) as an argument with stupidity.  This wasn’t a thread on the belief in a god, but a disbelief in one.

But for the record, I do think a certain level of stupidity contributes to the ongoing worship of imaginary characters.  It’s not the ignorant type of stupidity I ridicule people for.  It’s the self-inflicted stupidity of being presented with overwhelming evidence against your inherited position, and still clinging to it under the guise of faith, and proudly so.  It’s that sort of stupid person I go out of my way to lean on, especially in front of large groups of people.  I quite enjoy it.

GenerousGeorge

GenerousGeorge
Total Posts:  109
Joined  22-09-2012

26 September 2012 17:57

I spent a year in Nam .... I’m Agnostic.

gsmonks
Joined  12-05-2009

01 December 2012 03:40

The claim “there are no atheists in foxholes” is and always has been a lie.

The First World War gave rise to French Existentialism and caused people to turn away from religion in record numbers. In fact, according to all the available data, war causes people, not only to leave religion, but to become sceptical.

My great-great-grandmother turned her back on religion because her baby died and the priest told her that, because the child hadn’t been baptised, its soul would be burnt and tormented for all eternity. She said, and I quote, “If your god is such a bastard that he’d torment something as sweet and innocent as a child for all eternity, then he’s no god of mine!”

That was in 1878.

That kind of sentiment would become very prevalent during and after the “Great War”. Why would god allow injustice? Why would god allow the killing of innocents? And so on.